Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is my first season....HELP!?!?!?!? (with learning park)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BillieFingers
    replied
    Originally posted by kirk View Post

Once you have this down, pretty much everything is within reach. Anything that gives you inspiration you can transfer into skiboarding.
    Really helpful stuff, thanks man!

Leave a comment:

• ElkCloner
    replied
    If I read your post correctly, you've never skied or boarded before.

For your first few times out, stay out of the terrain park. Make sure you can turn, stop, and handle variable terrain before you attempt tricks. So many local kids don't know have basic riding skills, it creates a hazard for everyone else because they tend to cut people off in the park just sliding around.

I can't fully relate how annoying it is to get pumped up to hit a jump, only to have to bail off the side because some kid falls in the in-run or landing zone.

If you fall, get up right away! 1. It hurts less. 2. It looks better. 3. People are less annoyed with you.

Leave a comment:

• Davelynam
    replied
    I would just like to reitterate what kirk said about speed. As far as jumps are concerned, speed is the most important part of any air. you MUST, be comfortalbe with the speed at which you must hit some jumps. once you get used to jumps bigger than 10 feet, you dont want to make mistakes as far as casing(coming up short) or overclearing the landings. with rails, ive found that the faster youre going, the less time you have to balance on the rail, and believe it or not, the more control you have. if youre going too slow, you will more often than not slide off the side of rails. so really try to train your sense of speed, it can really make the difference in the park.

Leave a comment:

• JVAWN
    replied
    take it from me to ride with other skiboarders. it makes the park curve alot easier.

i've been skiboarding for 3 years now. my first year, i didn't even know anybody else who had tried skiboarding. i learned the mountain relatively quickly and could have ridden any trail, but couldn't ride any park. my second year i took it upon myself to improve. i ride with a bunch of snowboarders so being the oddball makes learning more difficult. over the season i learned to love woods riding, many times taking the woods down the back of the mountain and having to hike back up. park has been a slow curve for me though.

my friends ride park on snowboards like its nothing. but before skiboarding i ski'd so i didn't have any park experience. at the beginning of lasts years season i met a guy i could ride with. it started with hitting boxes, then a few rails straight on, and the occasional small jump. having another rider to play with was a huge confidence booster, and we learned from each others mistakes (which my body thanked me for lol)

by the end of last season i could hit any box, most rails, some jumps, ride through any powder, and take on any slope.

i feel like if i had had a person to ride with from the beginning i would have accomplished all of that 300x faster.

i dont know what i was really trying to say with this. but just have a friend

Leave a comment:

• JPARK
    replied
    don't worry. there will be many skiboarders in East Coast. Try to make meet-ups (like jay jam or US open)
    I started skiboard couple years ago. first year, i tried myself and didn't improve much. last year, i tried to make as many meet-ups, and met lots of great pp.
    i finally got to grind!! still gotta get my jumps right... but yeah. riding with other skiboarders (even if they're not pro) is alot of fun and you can learn alot at the same time.

for your first board, start with BWP or EMP first. especially if you don't have any ski background. It's little softer and easier to learn. You got many years ahead of you. you can always grab different boards once you get used to your old ones.

Welcome
    and Have fun!!

Leave a comment:

• Colt
    replied
    Once again thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it

Leave a comment:

• slow
    replied
    Originally posted by Manlig View Post
    I'm not sure if you've posted that anywhere else before- but that should be in a beginner guide or something.
    Good point. I added it to the New to Skiboarding FAQ sticky. http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=6725

Leave a comment:

• Manlig
    replied
    Wow Kirk thanks,

Glad I stumbled across this thread.
    Nobody's ever put things so well before. I feel like I've got a game-plan for this season. I can set goals for myself as well- and will be using your last post as a guide.

I'm not sure if you've posted that anywhere else before- but that should be in a beginner guide or something.

Leave a comment:

• pinkkid
    replied
    BWP's!

Leave a comment:

• mctwist311
    replied
    Ktps are gonna be a bit harder to learn on the width makes them a little harder to get on edge. But once you get used to it you wouldn't have a problem

Leave a comment:

• Colt
    replied
    Alright thanks so much Art and Kirk. I'll probally look at what Kirk told me 10-30 minutes a day. Still trying to decide though between boards I hear BWP's and KTP's are the best for my size anyways.

Leave a comment:

• mctwist311
    replied
    ill help you man dont worry... youll be riding good in a few trips.
    and everything kirk told you study it like homework cuase it will help allot

Leave a comment:

• Colt
    replied
    Thanks so much Kirk. This helped a lot. However I never did ski, snowboard etc. I'm starting skiboarding this year and learning tricks on inline skates in spring so it's going to be harder since I have no background knowledge. I'm glad to know though there are a lot of east coast riders. I'm hoping that they wouldn't mind helping me cause the guy who was suppose to be teaching me (Dave Bloom) moved to CO and will only be up here for a while and I ask Art Jennings cause he's my cousins friend but he hasn't responded yet. I have 1 other question if you dont mind answering. Have you ever rode BWP's I know your pro and I wanted to try your boards the KTP's but im not buying brand new ones yet cause it's my first year so if you have tried them i would just like a comparison. Alright thanks so much for your help I'm hoping next year (if i ride other Mountains) I'll get the honor of seeing you skiboard.

Leave a comment:

• kirk
    replied
    There are a lot of skiboarders here on the east coast. Since you're near Mt. Creek, look on here and you'll find people meeting up there every so often.

For tricks, what is going to be easy depends what your background is. Do you skate, skateboard, ski, snowboard, etc? Once you are confident with the basics (riding forward, backwards, turning, switching from forward and backwards), I would reccomend the following:

1. Grinds - Being at Mt. Creek, you'll have tons of rails and boxes to learn on. Start on the lowest, widest box you can find and just ride across it forward to gain confidence. Make sure to NOT TURN! Once you are on a box, physics take over. What ever direction you started at is the way you will go, even if it means off the side of the box. If you try to fight this, you WILL fall.

Once you have a level of comfort and are able to approach it with some speed, you can start to actually grind it. If you have a background in other sports, the feeling will be natural. Basically, you want to line up straight at the box, and head towards it with a comfortable amount of speed. When you hit the jump on to the box, jump and turn exactly 90 degrees, with your entire body, and land with your bases flat, weighted about equally. Getting the full 90 degrees prevents your edges from pulling you in a direction. Don't try to just turn your legs. If you try it this way, it won't look good, and you will probably fall. Once you are on the box, physics take over, and you are just there for the ride. When you get the the end of the box, natural momentum will have you come out backwards, so make sure you are comfortable riding backwards. If you try to fight it to come out forwards, it is much more likely you will fall.

After grinding a simple box, take it to bigger boxes and rails. From there, you can start spnning on/off, switching up, doing skatestyle grinds, etc.

2. Airs. Some people start with airs (I did... because this was before rails existed at most ski resorts). Basic airs on skiboards are easy, but you have to be precise. Hit little jumps on the sides of the trails and stuff to make sure that you are comfortable adjusting to terrain before trying park jumps. When you hit park jumps, there is a take off and a landing, and you should only hit jumps where you can safely make it to the downhill landing. Landing on the flat part before the landing is dangerous, and it can result in injury.

Once you are ready to take it to the park jumps, find the smallest real jump you can. Watch the speed that other riders approach it with before hitting it. Having the correct speed is crucial in jumps. Approach the jump straight with confidence and the same speed as other riders did that cleared the jump. Keep your body loose, knees bent a little, and your weight over the front of your boots. As you get to the top of the jump, give a little jump forward to pitch your body to adjust for the landing. When in the air, try to keep your body tight. It is often easier to keep yourself together by doing a little safety grab. As you come to the landing, extend your legs to absorb the shock. Make sure you can do this comfortably before trying real tricks. Being comfortable on the jump and able to hit the landing every time is crucial for learning tricks.

Once you can clear the jump safely, the best place to start is with grabs. Just learn straight airs with different types of grabs. Safety, mute, stale, luikang, flyfish... getting all of these grabs down solid will get your body use to recovering from different positions, and they'll give all your other tricks some style. Start slowly hitting bigger jumps as you become comfortable, and try different grabs every time.

3. Spins. Now that you can grind, air, and grab, the next thing to learn is spins. Start with 180s. 180s are easy because you can spot the landing the whole time. Practice these on flat ground, and make sure you are confident riding fakie(backwards) before trying them on a jump. As long as you are comfortable riding backwards, you will have no trouble with 180s. Once you have them forward, learn to do them backwards. This will open up a new world of tricks for you later.

Move on from here to 360s and 540s, but make sure you grab your tricks! Grabs hold your body tighter and make everything look better.

Once you have this down, pretty much everything is within reach. Anything that gives you inspiration you can transfer into skiboarding.

Leave a comment:

• This is my first season....HELP!?!?!?!? (with learning park)

Alright this is going to be my first season of skiboarding. I would like to ask the skiboarding community some questions. My first question is where do a lot of riders ride and if any are on the eastcoast around New York? Also since it's my first year what would be some easy tricks to start out with. Also if anyone is ever going to be riding Mountain Creek wanna come and help that would be nice. Also I'd like to ask the skiboarding community their opinion on what they think the best boards are. I REALLY CAN'T WAIT TILL THIS SEASON STARTS!!!!!!!
Working...
X