Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excessive damage after 5 days. Poor form? Help please!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Excessive damage after 5 days. Poor form? Help please!

    Hey all, I am very new to skiboarding and have only taken my pair out a total of 5 days.

    I’ve had a few falls and a number of pretty decent tumbles for sure. But im worried that the damage to my skeebs are something to be concerned about.

    I’m fully aware that due to my poor form its possible that this damage is a result of my poor technique. I did not bevel my edges when I received this pair of skiboards as well.

    I wanted to ask two questions:
    1) If the damage shown is something worry about and potentially a risk to my cores being soaked with moisture.

    2) If this kind of damage is out of the ordinary and i desperately must get good fast.

    Any repair tips if i should file down and fill with epoxy?How does one go about this?

    Got any tips on what to focus on improving to mitigate this kind of damage?

    Cheers,

    Click image for larger version  Name:	FA3E606F-B348-4C80-B231-0984D667A87A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	264958Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4101.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	264953Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4102.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	264954Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4103.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	264955Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4104.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	264956Click image for larger version  Name:	FA3E606F-B348-4C80-B231-0984D667A87A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	264959
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Originally posted by Kelmarit View Post
    Hey all, I am very new to skiboarding and have only taken my pair out a total of 5 days.

    I’ve had a few falls and a number of pretty decent tumbles for sure. But im worried that the damage to my skeebs are something to be concerned about.

    I’m fully aware that due to my poor form its possible that this damage is a result of my poor technique. I did not bevel my edges when I received this pair of skiboards as well.

    I wanted to ask two questions:
    1) If the damage shown is something worry about and potentially a risk to my cores being soaked with moisture.

    2) If this kind of damage is out of the ordinary and i desperately must get good fast.

    Any repair tips if i should file down and fill with epoxy?How does one go about this?

    Got any tips on what to focus on improving to mitigate this kind of damage?

    Cheers,

    Click image for larger version Name:	FA3E606F-B348-4C80-B231-0984D667A87A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	264958Click image for larger version Name:	image_4101.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	264953Click image for larger version Name:	image_4102.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	264954Click image for larger version Name:	image_4103.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	264955Click image for larger version Name:	image_4104.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	264956Click image for larger version Name:	FA3E606F-B348-4C80-B231-0984D667A87A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	264959
    Unfortunately, welcome to skiboarding. This occurs on a continual basis. The more comfortable you get and the better you get, it still happens. What you see now as "oh shit my boards" you will see as a badge and memories after about 2 seasons. You can file and epoxy, that's what we all do. i would recommend marine epoxy or long cure epoxy but really any will work. I personally either use JB Weld Marine white(you can add a drip of paint to match something if wanted) or Brampton Epoxy(i use for golf club building).
    2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes w SLR 10 DM Track
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic
    2020 Spruce " Ski Track" Crossbows

    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs
    2016 Blunt XL
    2015 Rockered Condors

    2021 125cm Summit Marauder
    2021 118cm Summit Invertigo
    2021 110cm Summit Bamboo

    Spruce Prototype Demo Risers

    Boots: Full Tilt Descendant 8 w 6 tongue

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post

      Unfortunately, welcome to skiboarding. This occurs on a continual basis. The more comfortable you get and the better you get, it still happens. What you see now as "oh shit my boards" you will see as a badge and memories after about 2 seasons. You can file and epoxy, that's what we all do. i would recommend marine epoxy or long cure epoxy but really any will work. I personally either use JB Weld Marine white(you can add a drip of paint to match something if wanted) or Brampton Epoxy(i use for golf club building).
      Hahah awesome!
      I'm so down to rock the battle scars.
      Happy to see that this isnt anything out of the ordinary.

      Whats the beta for filling with epoxy?
      Sand first or fill first?

      Cheers,

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kelmarit View Post

        Hahah awesome!
        I'm so down to rock the battle scars.
        Happy to see that this isnt anything out of the ordinary.

        Whats the beta for filling with epoxy?
        Sand first or fill first?

        Cheers,
        I'd recommend sanding first, then clean with something (I like to use ammonia). This is to increase the bonding capabilities, so that your filling will last longer. Then apply the epoxy and sand it afterwards as well to get a nice flat and clean reparation. Be sure to use a good face mask when using ammonia and epoxy (during the sanding as well), as it produces very bad and long-term dangerous vapors.

        Comment


        • #5
          Nice work for 5 days in! Looks like you've had some good answers, but topsheet damage is a lot better than core shots. Keep them dried out between riding sessions, too.
          If they start to look like this, you may have a problem:

          Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=262121&d=1582782849.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	264972
          (I was hard on my first pair of Spliffs)


          One recurring topsheet boo-boo that has happened on a few pairs of my boards is a little tag lifting up from the tail; I'm pretty sure it's caused by sticking them in the snow (when not wearing them). I've patched a couple of those with epoxy and clamped them to set, and works fairly well. I use a little bit of HDPE where the clamp would otherwise contact the epoxy, which doesn't really react to most adhesives and comes free easily.

          Strangely enough, I've yet to have this happen to a board tip, even though I occasionally climb really steep pitches by jamming the tips into the side of the mountain and walking up like it's a set of stairs...

          Attached Files
          Drop the STICK, ride the SICK!

          Comment


          • #6
            This type of edge damage doesn't happen with capped construction.I've been beating the crap out of my Spruce Sherpas for several seasons and they still look great. Same with my Summit Jades. The old Line skiboards were capped as well, which is why they are still resalable twenty years after they were made. Most modern boards are sidewall constructed, which is meant to make a better quality skiboard, but they do tear up quick.
            Just these, nothing else !

            Comment

            Working...
            X