Utah skiing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah skiing

OK, not exactly skiboarding, but since we used Jeff Singer's short skis, the junior Head Ethan Too and the Caddy, I'll share

My silly video editor would crash and refused to create a single video, so I had to split it in 4 parts. The playlist with all four is here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9FYSWU7dt6rRo3

For the powder junkies, part 3 of 4 has my lame attempts at powder skiing at Solitude. I think I managed OK for a first timer in powder, but if I had a few more of these days I'd be much more comfortable in it! My wife and daughter hated the powder and skipped a day and a half...

The rest was groomed slopes. Yours truly is featured mostly in part 4 of 4.

Looks like a great close to the season - thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yes. Thanks for sharing. Fun to watch.
      Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
      Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
      Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
      History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Finally, my wife understands what I mean by the phrase "yard sale". That final day looked like a great finale for your trip. Kocho, you look pretty smooth out there and the young'n in red rides well, too. Thanks for sharing with us.

Shawn
        171cm/190lbs
        Current Favorites:
        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
        Other boards I'm trying:
        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

You should've seen me on my first few attempts in the deep powder :-( Unfortunately, my GoPro battery decided to die on this trip and barely held charge. So, my rolling into the white stuff remains undocumented. My only consolation is that I wasn't the only one in it ;-) In the diffused light it was almost impossible to tell where the groomed path ends and the deep powder begins. My daughter plunged head-first n it, and I almost did it too few times. Had I been on skiboards, I would have eaten more snow than I did ;-) I didn't realize it then, but looking at the video now, this guy on the left collecting his stuff must have been surprised a bit more than I was by the transition between groomed and powder: https://youtu.be/UZkKXEAm8EY?t=2m19s. I almost fell there too, only saved by the long skis' good fore-aft support.

When I chose to go down some ungroomed black slope at Solitude, and falling after the first couple of turns, it occurred to me a little too late that I was in too deep, literally . Unlike most other slopes, that one was long and steep and there was no way out but to the bottom of it. I was either looking at falling my way down or learning to ski it... I had to figure out how to turn in the steep covered with fluffy stuff quick, or it would have been a very long descent... Surprisingly, it worked! After the first few falls, I started to make turns more or less fine. Not graceful by any means, but without falling. Getting up from a fall in the powder turned out a lot of work - had sore abdominals the next day .

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
          ...you look pretty smooth out there ...

Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
            . Had I been on skiboards, I would have eaten more snow than I did ;-) In, ).
            A setback Raptor, 120, Osprey or Sherpa would have been much easier. Skis are much harder than the wide longboards in powder. The tips just don't stay up enough requiring a lot more technique to master.url]
            Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
            History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
              A setback Raptor, 120, Osprey or Sherpa would have been much easier. Skis are much harder than the wide longboards in powder. The tips just don't stay up enough requiring a lot more technique to master.
              I don't have experience with skiboards in deep powder, but what I was referring to is that on shorter boards it would be necessary to maintain a finer fore-aft balance at the transition from little to deep powder, where there is a sudden decrease in speed. The long skis I was on prevented me from nose-diving head first down on one such transition, where a skiboard would have not been long enough and I would have fallen forward.

Also, I can see how the wider skiboards would be a more forgiving in terms of a left to right balance errors in powder. But I think they would be more demanding in terms of fore aft balance where light fluffy snow offers very little float.

Thirdly, with shorter skiboards it is easier than with longer skis to correct directionally, especially in heavier snow conditions and on steeper terrain. Busting through crud and variable conditions I find the longer skis are better for me though. Even between the 151cm wider and more rockered Head Ethans (which deal with variable conditions pretty well and I feel better than the 120s) and the narrower, less rockered, and longer Volkl RTMs, I feel the latter are more stable and consistent through variable conditions like tracked powder and crud at any speed, but especially so at higher speeds.

I'd love to try Ospreys and Rockered Condors in deep soft powder.

Comment

I don't have experience with skiboards in deep powder, but what I was referring to is that on shorter boards it would be necessary to maintain a finer fore-aft balance at the transition from little to deep powder, where there is a sudden decrease in speed. The long skis I was on prevented me from nose-diving head first down on one such transition, where a skiboard would have not been long enough and I would have fallen forward.

Also, I can see how the wider skiboards would be a more forgiving in terms of a left to right balance errors in powder. But I think they would be more demanding in terms of fore aft balance where light fluffy snow offers very little float.

Thirdly, with shorter skiboards it is easier than with longer skis to correct directionally, especially in heavier snow conditions and on steeper terrain. Busting through crud and variable conditions I find the longer skis are better for me though. Even between the 151cm wider and more rockered Head Ethans (which deal with variable conditions pretty well and I feel better than the 120s) and the narrower, less rockered, and longer Volkl RTMs, I feel the latter are more stable and consistent through variable conditions like tracked powder and crud at any speeder.
                The fore/aft stability of a skiboard in powder is not the same as a ski when you have it set back. The tips will stay up when you are centered. The transition from groomed to ungroomed does not throw you off balance. The tips do not sink in the transition. I was watching your video in powder. The tips of the skis constantly sink almost completely out of sight as you balance fore and aft. On a set back longboard, the tips stay right on top of the powder. Even at my weight of 190 lbs, the tips of my boards are always visible. Because of the float on the tips, turning is very simple, feet together and a lean is all it takes to turn. With such stability fore and aft, the stability side to side also follows. With skis, the tips don't stay up. The second you release the heel pressure, the tips dive. You can't relax like on a setback longboard. You can actually turn off the tips of a skiboard in powder. Do that with the center mounted E2 and you'll be eating snow. You are very smooth on the skis in the video and have great body angulation. You will have no difficulty piloting a setback longboard in deep powder.

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
                  A setback Raptor, 120, Osprey or Sherpa would have been much easier. Skis are much harder than the wide longboards in powder. The tips just don't stay up enough requiring a lot more technique to master.url]
                  Take a look at this video and notice how the tips of the skiboards ride. Except for Scott and Angie, the rest of us were riding setbacks. Scott was riding a Sherpa. This powder was as light as Utah powder and over a foot deep. In the beginning of the video, you can see how easy the transition is from groomed as we enter the trees. Not a flinch.

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...highlight=Mini

Comment

Interesting point about the tips staying higher on skiboards with rear-mounted bias without the need to be in the back seat. I haven't considered that because of the short tails such skiboards would sink down in the rear naturally while keeping the tips up. And yes, the E2s required me to be in the back seat or the tips would dive, which made turn control hard in sections where I could not feel "bottom", in the 14-18" powder.

Is this the example you talk about tips being high?

https://youtu.be/8XyPdIBqiGs?t=2m14s

Certainly seems to work well at these low speeds in the deep!

Comment

Interesting point about the tips staying higher on skiboards with rear-mounted bias without the need to be in the back seat. I haven't considered that because of the short tails such skiboards would sink down in the rear naturally while keeping the tips up. And yes, the E2s required me to be in the back seat or the tips would dive, which made turn control hard in sections where I could not feel "bottom", in the 14-18" powder.

Is this the example you talk about tips being high?

https://youtu.be/8XyPdIBqiGs?t=2m14s

Certainly seems to work well at these low speeds in the deep!
                      They are visible the entire video. Only when stopped do they sink. This was at slow speeds. At higher speeds the tips will plane up even higher. I don't like fast in trees.

Comment

Here is another example of skiboards powder. This is our day in the trees at Brighton from Westfest. Courtney shot all the footage, so the POV shots are Courtney on her KTPs. I'm not sure if she had them set back or not, but you can clearly see her tips are up even in the deepest of the powder. I think Kyu is on his XLs and most of the other riders are on long boards.

I think it's worth noting that you can make almost any ski, longboard ot skiboard work in powder if you use the right technique. Some are more suited than others, but they can all get the job done.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

man that video of the brighton trees makes me miss skiing in utah!
                          2019 BluntXLs
                          540 Team Stark bindings with RVL8 softboot upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                            I'm not sure if she had them set back or not, but you can clearly see her tips are up even in the deepest of the powder. I think Kyu is on his XLs and most of the other riders are on long boards.
                            Courtney always rides her boards center, but she sits back way far likes she's sitting in a chair. Kyu was on XLs, and so was I. The XLs do an excellent job in powder, and so do the RCs.

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                            I think it's worth noting that you can make almost any ski, longboard ot skiboard work in powder if you use the right technique. Some are more suited than others, but they can all get the job done.
                            This is true.
                            Boards/Bindings:
                            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                              Courtney always rides her boards center, but she sits back way far likes she's sitting in a chair. Kyu was on XLs, and so was I. The XLs do an excellent job in powder, and so do the RCs.
                              I thought you were on your Ospreys, but I think that was the day we all longboarded at Solitude. Courtney is on her XLs in this one, tips up again. Really deep powder in this one, there are times Kyu is knee deep.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
                              X