Jjue survives his son's challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jjue survives his son's challenge

Well the baton has been passed!, my son Jordan guided me on a challenge today and I barely survived!
    We had a storm that dropped 16 inches in 24 hours .. . we originally were planning to go to Sugarbowl but went instead to Sierra at Tahoe for the morning (they seemed to have got more snow ) ... I pulled out my rear mounted Sherpas and followed by son who was on his snowboard ...
    After the morning we drove down to South Lake Tahoe and then spent the afternoon at Heavenly . ( I switched to Spliffs for that part of the challenge )
    This tour included ... Steep pow face runs at Sierra at Tahoe , out the backcountry gates into Huckleberry canyon , into side country off West bowl and pow shots down West bowl , the snow was great and the riding was fantastic ..
    At Heavenly we dropped into Milky way bowl , off into Killebrew canyon ( I had been into Mott canyon but never into Killebrew) for super steep pow runs and then out the backcountry gates into an area I have never been before -Burnside , and then into fresh pow off Pinnacles , and finshing up by riding down Gunbarrel which still had pow from the morning ... great day but I was dead tired and worried about being able to finish .. we got off the mountain at 420 pm at Heavenly ...
    Here are some pics....
    Up the chair lift at Sierra

Fresh tracks in the new pow ...

A view back up the cirque of Huckleberry canyon after descending the steep pow slopes ... my best pow run of the season !

Late in the day at Heavenly ... Dad is getting a bit tired !

Out the backcountry gates into the Burnside area ... ( this was an area where all the trees had burned in a big fire years ago )

Great day !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Well done. You are one gnarly dude. I would have had to stop at lunch and watch for the rest of the day. Can't even manage a 30 mile bike ride without a coffee stop these days ☺
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

Looks like I missed out on an incredible day.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Fantastic.

I really want to improve my powder skiing skills, and days like this would be the perfect testing ground. Yes, I'm a little jealous!
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

That's a day most people only dream about. I love that burnside pic. Is that North of the Gondola?

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
            That's a day most people only dream about. I love that burnside pic. Is that North of the Gondola?
            It is east of the gondola .. the area is accessed off the top of olympic chair through this rather scary gate

Some more info about the area ... my son has been there with a tahoe local and knew a way to traverse out of the area back into the ski resort but it did involve some climbing ! The problem is if you do not know where you are going you can really get seriously lost
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

It's a March miracle. Hope it continues.
              Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
              Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
              Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Comment

That looks so awesome - I cannot wait to get my RCs into some true powder conditions next season! My experience out west is limited to resorts in Utah and Colorado, but your pictures make me want to visit Lake Tahoe sooner, rather than later.

Also, your "passing of the baton" story made me recall a similar experience I had when I took my father backpacking on the AT last year
                2019 BluntXLs
                540 Team Stark bindings with RVL8 softboot upgrade

Comment

Working...
                X