Video- Mini Shredfest at Northstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video- Mini Shredfest at Northstar

Great pow day today at Northstar for our mini Shredfest meetup ..
    Wendell, Marianne, Fred , Sempai and Mrs . Sempai and yours truly ( camera man ). It has been snowing for two days and conditions were epic ! Great times !

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

I'm very jealous! We have nothing out here on the East Coast. Then again we had a great season last year while you suffered so it's over due. Enjoy it while you can.

Side note: do you guys stick with poles because you skied before ski boarding? I don't use poles even with my long skis. I feel like Ricky Bobby during the TV interview. I don't know what to do with my hands

-B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Branden , yeah bummer about the season out east , seems to be a flip flop from last year for sure for east vs west ....
      For me personally , yeah , I have spent a lifetime skiing with poles ... when I took up skiboarding I jettisoned them ... but later I found that I do better with them then without ... my timing is better, i use them to unweight in mogul fields. and they help me ride powder better by improving my timing , and they save a ton of energy traversing , climbing up and around obstacles etc etc... for me Sempai's experience has been very interesting , he comes from a skating and then skiboarding background and was very anti the use of poles ... but as he has ridden more and more with me , he has come to see their usefulness and has learned to use them well ... today he skied the sherpas without poles and he goes back and forth ...
      perhaps he can talk a little bit about why he uses them sometimes and not others....

but it really is a personal choice for sure ... i also see lots of long skiers skiing now without poles ...
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
        Sempai's experience has been very interesting , he comes from a skating and then skiboarding background and was very anti the use of poles ... but as he has ridden more and more with me , he has come to see their usefulness and has learned to use them well ... today he skied the sherpas without poles and he goes back and forth ...
        perhaps he can talk a little bit about why he uses them sometimes and not others....
        Yes, I was very anti-poles. I thought it was skiboarding sacrilege. Last season I was having a tough time keeping up with jjue in the trees and in the moguls. I'm able to get through both fairly well without poles, but not at the speed jjue can with poles. Towards the end of last season He lent me his poles to try on a mogul run. It really showed me what an advantage they are, and how much energy can be saved by using them. They make one hell of a difference. Recently I decided to use poles when we (Jack and I) go out. Since doing so, I can actually keep up with him. I didn't use them today because I knew we were going to be in a group and taking more frequent breaks. When out by myself or with the Mrs, I don't feel the need for poles because I can go at my own pace. So in conclusion...It's all jjue's fault I use poles. He corrupted me.

P.S. Poles also come in mighty handy on flats and in the lift lines. There are a ton of flats at my home mountain (Mt. Rose), so I have been using them up there when I ride the Sherpas. At this point I haven't and wouldn't use poles with any of my other boards. That could change in the future, but I doubt it.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Poles. I just think it's great that skiboards allow you a choice.

Tapatalk from my moto x
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

Great snow! Thanks for sharing!

I too come from skiing and started skiboarding with poles, but soon ditched them. I found I learn better and I have to be more precise without poles (both on skiboards and skis). Plus, my hands are free to take photos or help my daughter. Where I ski there is no walking and the lift lines are easy, so I don't miss the poles there much. But as others mentioned, having poles helps in certain types of terrain and skiing styles and I take them with me from time to time. I ski with long skis usually with poles - there seems to be more use for them there, but I've noticed I tend to use them as a crutch to help with turning, which makes skiing easier, but also I think sometimes instead of balancing myself over the skis, I keep part of the balance with the poles, which is not necessarily good (but is easier if my technique is lacking).

Comment

Sitting at home sulking
              rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
              ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Working...
              X