Epic Race on Shorties @ Afton Alps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Race on Shorties @ Afton Alps

I've been watching people who are competing in the Epic Race to win an Epic Pass for life. I stumbled upon this clip where they are at my local resort Afton Alps riding what looks to be MNPs. I find it funny that our little resort is now Epic.

Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Looks like they rode shorties again at Mt. Brighton in Michigan.

Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Usually vids where guys are goofing around in neon onesies and old "snowblades" cheese me off but there is an interesting thing to note in the first video. It appears they actually have their "snowblades" as a carry on and not a checked bag. I would bet they are doing this for the Epic Race to have the advantage of not dealing with checked baggage. For us devotees of modern skiboards does this mean we can now get short boards past the TSA??? I have tried with my shortest skiboards and gotten stopped but that was a year ago. This would be of particular interest to guys who are exclusively riding the ultra short Blunts. There may be hope that you can throw a pair of Blunts in the bottom of a carry-on and hop right on the plane.

Have any forum members gotten there skiboards on as a carry-on since 9/11???
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
        Usually vids where guys are goofing around in neon onesies and old "snowblades" cheese me off but there is an interesting thing to note in the first video. It appears they actually have their "snowblades" as a carry on and not a checked bag. I would bet they are doing this for the Epic Race to have the advantage of not dealing with checked baggage. For us devotees of modern skiboards does this mean we can now get short boards past the TSA??? I have tried with my shortest skiboards and gotten stopped but that was a year ago. This would be of particular interest to guys who are exclusively riding the ultra short Blunts. There may be hope that you can throw a pair of Blunts in the bottom of a carry-on and hop right on the plane.

Have any forum members gotten there skiboards on as a carry-on since 9/11???
        I couldn't tell if they were carrying them on or not. It would be nice just to throw the Blunts in the overhead, but the research I did in the "Boots On A Plane" thread suggested that the airlines and TSA don't allow skis or ski poles because of the sharp metal edges. Unless they are relaxing the rules?

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ighlight=plane

Despite the "mockery" element in these videos, it is interesting to note that skiers always use snowblades when they want to have fun.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
          Usually vids where guys are goofing around in neon onesies and old "snowblades" cheese me off but there is an interesting thing to note in the first video.
          Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
          Despite the "mockery" element in these videos, it is interesting to note that skiers always use snowblades when they want to have fun.
          I think in this case them goofing around, wearing neon onesies, and riding snowblades is not making a mockery of shorties. If you watch their other videos, you'll see them doing the same on skis. They're just goofballs, period.
          Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
            I couldn't tell if they were carrying them on or not. .....
            At 0:15 in the first video they are clear throwing snowblade bags into the overhead bin on the plane. Very interesting!
            Boards:
            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Hey Scott, how is Afton after the Vail buy out? I don't think I've been there since 2007.

I've heard stories of ridiculously long lift lines and bad parking. Maybe I can sneak away mid week sometime in January and avoid the crowds?

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                Hey Scott, how is Afton after the Vail buy out? I don't think I've been there since 2007.

I've heard stories of ridiculously long lift lines and bad parking. Maybe I can sneak away mid week sometime in January and avoid the crowds?
                Afton has always been crowded on the weekends. I normally just go during the week or sometimes on Saturday night after the crowds clear. I have met Slow at Afton on a Saturday a couple of times when he has come to visit. He can confirm just how miserably jam packed with people the place is.

I can see it being even worse now because of the Vail buyout. I was there Monday and yesterday. It was more crowded for during the week than normal. I think this buyout has more people coming out, especially snowboarders. Afton has really ramped up the park terrain, and they're not even done adding features yet.

Now they are scanning people before they get on the lifts, so that backs things up a bit. They've given the restaurant in the main chalet a facelift along with the restrooms. They put in new signage. They've built a new building for ticketing and a yurt for I don't know what. It's in the terrain park area where I don't go. The employees have fancy new uniforms. That's all I have noticed so far. The runs are still over in 30 seconds.

Nothing in the area rivals Giants or Lutsen, but it's at least something when you can't make the long drive up north.
                Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  Afton has always been crowded on the weekends. I normally just go during the week or sometimes on Saturday night after the crowds clear. I have met Slow at Afton on a Saturday a couple of times when he has come to visit. He can confirm just how miserably jam packed with people the place is.

I can see it being even worse now because of the Vail buyout. I was there Monday and yesterday. It was more crowded for during the week than normal. I think this buyout has more people coming out, especially snowboarders. Afton has really ramped up the park terrain, and they're not even done adding features yet.

Now they are scanning people before they get on the lifts, so that backs things up a bit. They've given the restaurant in the main chalet a facelift along with the restrooms. They put in new signage. They've built a new building for ticketing and a yurt for I don't know what. It's in the terrain park area where I don't go. The employees have fancy new uniforms. That's all I have noticed so far. The runs are still over in 30 seconds.

Nothing in the area rivals Giants or Lutsen, but it's at least something when you can't make the long drive up north.
                  Yep, a sea of kids and their parents. Just like at my local resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                    Yep, a sea of kids and their parents. Just like at my local resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember how bad it was last year when we were there? Well picture it that crowded x5. That's how bad it was today. They had every lift running, and the lines were still ridiculous. The crowds stuck around until close, too. It was nuts!
                    Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                      Remember how bad it was last year when we were there? Well picture it that crowded x5. That's how bad it was today. They had every lift running, and the lines were still ridiculous. The crowds stuck around until close, too. It was nuts!
                      At least you were able to ride. I have yet to get out and we are now back into a deep freeze.
                      sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                        At least you were able to ride. I have yet to get out and we are now back into a deep freeze.
                        It was a waste yesterday. Neither of us enjoyed ourselves, way too many people and the worst conditions ever.

We're also back in the deep freeze. It's not getting above zero today, and up north the air temp alone is 30 below.
                        Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                        Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

I hope the forecast holds for the weekend we are in MPLS. Should be around 32F.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X