Extreme carving on short skis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme carving on short skis

I don't know if anyone has seen this video. Some real body on the slope carving on Lusti short skis (135cm). The audio commentary is in Czech.

Definitely of value to use skiboarders. Just wondering how many of us actually get to do that level of carving.

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

I'd like to be able to carve like that, but I think I'm not in shape enough to do so. Besides being a skilled snow rider, I think you need to be strong and flexible. I'm neither.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I think I could do it if I had a steep and super wide run like that! Might not get THAT low but pretty close..

Comment

I can get one hand down, but it would be cool to get lower and eat some snow.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Pure poetry . . . Try THAT with a softboot set up!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

At 6' 5", if I have both hands down on the snow, something has gone horribly wrong. In the Poconos the hard part with this is finding a trail wide enough and uncongested enough to pull off the extreme carve. Most times you get locked in to a deep carve and end up running someone over.
            Boards:
            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I'm 6ft2 but manage to get one hand down, it feels great 😛
              Unless you risk it, you don't know what it is.
              *Proud designer of the SBOL hoodie*

Comment

The blunts should be great at preforming such deep and beautiful carves, just judging by my single day experience with the original lines. I cannot wait to rip up some slopes on them!!

Comment

I've had some pretty spectacular wipe-outs trying to carve like that and getting too far back on my heels.

It has felt like sweet poetry though when I've gotten close to getting it right. Hopefully this season will get it down K.T. style.
                  Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
                  Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
                  Full Tilt Boots
                  Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

That's how I always like to carve... "If you aren't dragging two hands, it doesn't count"!

It is actually surprisingly easy to carve like that, its just a different style than you use for casual riding. First, you need a lot of speed. As SBruce pointed out, you need to find a steep wide slope that is free of obstacles. Basically, as you initiate the turn, you pretty much just sit down on your side, like you would if you were resting on the hill. This is where speed comes in. It lets you hold an edge an carve while you do this.

Once you are close to perpendicular to the fall line, you just stand up like you would getting off the ground, and get back to flat bases and prepare for the next turn. The physics compressing you into your carve make it easy to kind of "pop" back up. Your boards will be flexing pretty good at this point, and act kind of like mini trampolines to get you back up. Also, since this will be on a steep slope, the difference between "on your side" and standing shouldn't be too much.

The hardest part of riding like this is finding conditions and a slope that allow it. For this to work, you have to be going fast and carving hard, so the snow has to be smooth and soft enough to hold your weight through the carves.

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
                      That's how I always like to carve... "If you aren't dragging two hands, it doesn't count"!

It is actually surprisingly easy to carve like that, its just a different style than you use for casual riding. First, you need a lot of speed. As SBruce pointed out, you need to find a steep wide slope that is free of obstacles. Basically, as you initiate the turn, you pretty much just sit down on your side, like you would if you were resting on the hill. This is where speed comes in. It lets you hold an edge an carve while you do this.

Once you are close to perpendicular to the fall line, you just stand up like you would getting off the ground, and get back to flat bases and prepare for the next turn. The physics compressing you into your carve make it easy to kind of "pop" back up. Your boards will be flexing pretty good at this point, and act kind of like mini trampolines to get you back up. Also, since this will be on a steep slope, the difference between "on your side" and standing shouldn't be too much.

The hardest part of riding like this is finding conditions and a slope that allow it. For this to work, you have to be going fast and carving hard, so the snow has to be smooth and soft enough to hold your weight through the carves.
                      I find I have to move my feet apart a little too or the simple physics of it all break down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
                      Crossbow (go to dream board)
                      Most everything else over time.
                      Go Android

Comment

If you lay your palm down flat do you ever jam your fingers digging into the snow? Would it be safer to set a fist down?

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                          If you lay your palm down flat do you ever jam your fingers digging into the snow? Would it be safer to set a fist down?
                          I've never had any problems. You don't put your fingers facing the direction you are going, but more perpendicular to it, so its more of a sideways scrape without any real risk of jamming them.

Comment

I don't think I can get that low when carving, but it reminds me that not all fantasies involve sex.
                            99 Salomon Skiblades
                            02 Line Fly
                            10 Head Salamander
                            12 Head Hot Rod 94s'
                            15 Blunt XL

Comment

Deffo legs wider apart. One knee almost touching chin. When both hands on snow it feels like your using your hands to pivot around.
                              Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
                              Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

Working...
                              X