Elk Jam 2013.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk Jam 2013.1

There seem to be so few of us that can be found riding together - at least where I live - so I am proposing that anytime 3 or more riders get together we consider it a "Jam". Under this definition we held Elk Jam 2013.1 at Elk Mountain in Northeastern Pennsylvania on March 16th. CrazyBoy-1, krillinakw and I got together yesterday to ride. What a day. For me I would consider it to be epic and one of my top 5 days on mountain ever.

It is still winter at Elk Mountain despite the weather pattern for most of the eastern part of Pennsylvania. Temps were in the low 20 degree Fahrenheit range and never got past 30 degrees all day. About 12:30pm it started to snow flurry, sometimes fairly heavily, and that kept up until they stopped the lifts at 4:30pm. It was a winter wonderland for sure. Snow conditions were excellent - medium to medium-soft corduroy from top to bottom and side to side that got skied off into a consistent and fast surface.

We rode at 2 speeds all day - fast (me) and faster (them). Those 2 guys can rip. My Ski Tracker app recorded a top speed of 54.6 (that is the fastest I have ever gone) miles per hour so I figure CrazyBoy-1 and krillinakw were in the upper 50s and likely very close to 60 mph. I will say that is you handicapped the speeds based on age - say, give me 1 mph for each year older that I am than them, then I my age-corrected speed would have been nearly 72 mph!

CrazyBoy-1 started on RCs, krillinakw started on Hieros and I was on 120 STS all day. They swapped out boards mid-morning with CrazyBoy-1 breaking out BWPs and krillinakw getting to try CrazyBoy-1's 96 Lines - all 87cm of them. He wasn't too sure of what to expect and was expressing doubts on the lift up the first few times. Let me tell you though - krillinakw took to those boards and was ripping the mountain up with them! Those are some wild looking boards - super wide, short and 1970s style striped graphics - I kept expecting to hear the theme to the original Starsky and Hutch television show each time he ripped by me. krillinakw's assessment: "These boards need to get made again." Greco - take note - if you tweaked these boards slightly (let's say to around 94-96 cm) and put maybe a slightly higher tip/tail on them these boards would be winners. Heck - if you kept them spec'd as is and built them they would be winners.

The image that sticks in my mind most from the day is the rooster tails we were leaving in our wakes. 3 different boards throwing off ridiculous amounts of snow. Even better in the afternoon when some fine powder starting showing up on the trails adding a "white smoke" back eddy to the rooster tails. At one point CrazyBoy-1 looked like he was on fire ripping down a trail with this huge plume of white smoke swirling up behind him. Very awesome sight. He has some video footage of it and some of the runs - hopefully he can get that up at some point.

An unbelievable day of riding with 2 fantastic skiboarders. We covered 28 miles and were on the slopes from 9am until they closed the lifts at 4:30pm. We barely made the last shuttle bus back to the car.

In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Bluewing,

Sounds like my kind of day with my kind of riding. You know I love to go fast.

I have said the same thing about those Line boards needing to be made again. If I remember right from reading the specs, they're around 15 or 16 cm wide. That would make for a real interesting and different pair of shorties. I say keep them around the same dimensions. Only increase the tip and tail height if needed.

I look forward to seeing the video from your Elk Jam.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

3 people to call it a jam? I would vote for at least 10.

bnuf

Comment

When we're a larger community, we can increase the requisite "Jam" number.

I had a blast that day. After mostly riding local mountains with just my family, I really enjoyed riding with some other experienced skiboarders who could maintain high speeds. It was great to see someone else enjoying the old Lines, and I enjoyed getting back on shorter boards with the BWP's. I reviewed the footage earlier today and discovered that I didn't have as much as I thought. I'll still try to throw something together, though. I see what you guys were talking about with my recirculating smoke trail on the B-dubs.

Scott, I will definitely bring the Lines to Bohemia next year, so they'll be available for you to ride if you're there.
        RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by enouf24 View Post
          3 people to call it a jam? I would vote for at least 10.

bnuf
          I believe at this point Shredfest would be the only jam we have each year then....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
            I believe at this point Shredfest would be the only jam we have each year then....
            Between Dave and his crew, and me and my family, I think we got close to ten the day of the South West Mini Tour at Snowbowl on Superbowl Sunday.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              Between Dave and his crew, and me and my family, I think we got close to ten the day of the South West Mini Tour at Snowbowl on Superbowl Sunday.
              ^ agreed

Also Mid West Meet, Liberty Meet, East Coast Junk Show tour.

bnuf

Comment

Elk Jam 2013.2

It was just me today at Elk Mountain, but I had such a good time I think it qualifies as Elk Jam 2013.2. Spectacular snow conditions, weather is still cold, wall-to-wall corduroy, 2 bump runs and probably fewer than 70 people on the mountain.

Mohawk - a black diamond of moderate pitch they have left ungroomed - smallish moguls, but plenty of ice in the troughs:

Even had a bit of snow flurries to add to the atmosphere:

Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                  ...What a day. For me I would consider it to be epic...

...It was a winter wonderland for sure. Snow conditions were excellent...
                  I agree!

Comment

Looks like great conditions again. If I could spare the vacation days, I'd definitely have joined you.

As far as the whole "jam" number, it is a very tongue in cheek standard. Having said that, the Midwest Meet has never hit ten people, and neither have many of the other meets I've attended if memory serves. The only ones that I've been to with that many are Jay Jam 3&4and ShredFest 3. In those cases, it took participants coming from across the country (and across borders) to hit those high numbers. To me, I you have three to five skiboarders riding together and having a good time, call it a jam.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                      To me, I you have three to five skiboarders riding together and having a good time, call it a jam.
                      I'm a lucky man then, I've got that every weekend with my family. The Arizona Wolf Jam.
                      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Haha, I'm right there with you since I come from a family of five and we all skiboard. Family jams are always good.

Comment

Working...
                        X