Great Morning - This is What It's About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Morning - This is What It's About

I had a great morning at my local resort with my youngest daughter, who turns 15 in a few weeks. She was on her Head 94s and I was on my Spruce 120s. Spectacular weather: 15 degrees F to start and 27 degrees F when we finished; crystal clear blue sky, bright sun and pretty good conditions. We always are one of the first people on the lift in the mornings to get the best conditions and avoid the crowds. Today that paid off again. We rarely waited more than a few minutes for a chair and often had the chair to ourselves, which gave us a chance for quite a few nice conversations on the way back up the mountain.

To me this is what it is all about. Being out on a beautiful morning, doing something I really love to do, spending time with my daughter and making some nice memories. She rode great today and had a lot of fun. I was rocking the 120s and was riding very fast and aggressively at times because I felt so locked in. We even had a good time with some teamwork - the resort has a lot of flat areas and it is a good amount of an uphill to get to 2 of our favorite runs. The Heads are heavy little tanks for their size and wear her out after a while with the amount of skating required. So, I wait for her on the uphill sections at the point where she runs out of steam, I flip my poles around so I am holding just about the snow cups and she grabs the grips. I skate her up the incline with her doing half-skates behind me. Good workout for me and helps keep her on the mountain for a bit longer.

I saw Dave Lynam as he was coming in from the parking lot on his way to compete in the Rail Jam competition. He didn't recognize me at first but spotted my Spruce 120s. We got to talk for a few minutes, which as cool.

A few photos:

Here is my favorite view at the resort - from the top of one of my favorite runs - a fun short black run with a little steep corner area that leads to a classic wide open blue cruiser. This is the same shot as the picture of my daughter with a tighter close-up of the hotel and lodge. This shot was from a few days ago:

In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Is this Bear Creek?
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      Is this Bear Creek?
      It is Bear Creek. Conditions were pretty good today but they need to get the guy who runs the groomer to stop drinking before he goes out at night on the mountain.....
      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
        It is Bear Creek. Conditions were pretty good today but they need to get the guy who runs the groomer to stop drinking before he goes out at night on the mountain.....
        LOL! I think it may be a case of a million dollars of grooming gear does not make a million dollar groomed mountain. I hit Spring Mountain with my youngest this morning. Crappy little hill and their groomer looks like like some sort of WW II surplus gear but the did a fine job grooming. Maybe they have better groomer jockeys than Bear Creek? Or they are just sober?
        Boards:
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Yesterday was definitely a rare day for PA skiing - weather was very good after we actually got some snow. It was good here at 7 Springs, but from your pictures, it looks like it was even better in the Eastern side of the state. It was a great day to ride for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
            LOL! I think it may be a case of a million dollars of grooming gear does not make a million dollar groomed mountain. I hit Spring Mountain with my youngest this morning. Crappy little hill and their groomer looks like like some sort of WW II surplus gear but the did a fine job grooming. Maybe they have better groomer jockeys than Bear Creek? Or they are just sober?
            Give them some credit man - that is a Sunday River cast off (at least when I used to go there 2 years ago - you could still see the outline of the decals) from the mid-70s!

Tools only matter if you know how to use them for sure. I am sure it is as much art as it is science.
            Think Like a Mountain

Comment

.... Tools only matter if you know how to use them for sure. I am sure it is as much art as it is science.
              True. Great tools don't make a great craftsman but it's surprising what a great craftsman can sometimes do with marginal tools. (Not a high praise statement for Spring Mtn. just a general statement)
              Boards:
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Looks better than any of my local resorts. Just be thankful you aren't in MN.
                Boards/Bindings:
                2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
                X