Test #4: UHMW Riser+Sherpa+Crystal Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test #4: UHMW Riser+Sherpa+Crystal Mountain

Had some fantastic riding up at Crystal Mtn. in Washington this week. This was test #4 for me of the UHMW risers on the Sherpas. I did get off in some pow, on some much steeper terrain and got some much faster and harder gorilla carving in. Unfortunately, the wife did not follow me during most of that and thus only got a very small bit of limited video. I also threw in a couple short clips of the setup and my attempt to show the limited amount of rock in the setup when put on edge.

Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
    Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Nice. I liked being able to see the setup on video. So is this your final version, or are you going to continue modifying and experimenting?
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

These are just test mules ... basically all rough around the edges just to get a proof of concept but I don't know how much more I want or need to mess with them.. I might want to try something even lower ... say 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch thick instead of 1/2 inch thick. In order to do that, I'm going to have to find a way to stiffen them up a bit. I fear 1/4 inch thick UHMW is far too flexible. I haven't thought through a good viable solution to deal with that yet.

Otherwise, they work great and are light enough. The bindings I'm using are not light. If I stick with the 1/2 inch thick UHMW, the rest of my experimenting will be with different bindings and different rubber underneath.

I've not been much of a tinkerer in the past, but I'm kind of digging it lately... so I may play with other riser options too ... like a spruce-like riser but with the mounting hole spacing to accommodate center and setback, make it lower, and use 30A rubber pads at the tips to ensure flex of the boards do not smack into the bottom of the riser. That would still allow some dampened flex under the ends of the riser I think, but limit it a bit.
      Full Tilt Boots
      Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

I've done a bit of work with UHMW, and I think 1/4inch would be too weak and flexy for your application. I used some for a camera mount for my bike once, and even the weight of a small camcorder was too much. It looks like a great project though. It makes me want to get back on some of my binding projects that have been sitting dormant for a while.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
          I've done a bit of work with UHMW, and I think 1/4inch would be too weak and flexy for your application. I used some for a camera mount for my bike once, and even the weight of a small camcorder was too much. It looks like a great project though. It makes me want to get back on some of my binding projects that have been sitting dormant for a while.
          One thought I had was to use a thin piece of aluminum over the top if I went thinner with the UHMW.

Viable solution?
          Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Good video! Still very interested in your risers but I now see that alot of skiboards are SOLD OUT on SBOL. Is anyone looking to sell their used equipment? Ideally looking for Spruce Sherpa but I'm looking at other options since I'm mostly going to be skiboarding on East Coast groomers and might need a little less wide board than Sherpa. Looking at DLP but would prefer a longer skiboard I think. I still need to try skiboarding on any skiboard but ideally nothing below 110cm.

Is there a Classified Forum Thread for sale of used skiboards? If not, maybe there should be

Comment

Originally posted by SkibordNoob View Post
              Is there a Classified Forum Thread for sale of used skiboards? If not, maybe there should be
              that there is.

--- Buy | Sell | Trade Skiboarding Gear
              - Alpina Fatboards with 8-hole bindings (retired as shot-skis)
              - 2003 Line Pro with FF-pro (on loan to friend)
              - 2010 KTP Revel8 Receptors with 2012 Orange Receptors
              - 2012 Rockered Condors with 2010 Black Receptors
              - 2014 DLP with 2021 Blue Receptors

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForAir View Post
                One thought I had was to use a thin piece of aluminum over the top if I went thinner with the UHMW.

Viable solution?
                I think that would definitely have some potential. The one benefit that your design has is the fact that you are using rubber bumpers at the ends of your risers. This allows the boards to flex whole also providing a bit of support. Going thinner on the UHMW but adding a piece of high quality aluminum alloy (6061, etc) on the top would be a nice setup. If the aluminum adds enough stength, you may be able to get away with stepping the riser on the bottom and adding thicker bumpers. In that instance, I'd be tempted to go with a significantly softer elastomer, say with a durometer of 30. This would allow the boards to flex even more, which could be a very good thing with certain models like the RCondors.

Comment

Working...
                X