Picking Skiboard's Minds on the Topic of Creating Skiboard Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking Skiboard's Minds on the Topic of Creating Skiboard Media

The content seems to be very centralized out there as far as skiboarding media goes. Anything from random graphics, photographs, videos, etc… I am not just referring to the freestyle sector that most often comes to people's minds, but the sport as a whole in each area.

I am curious as to know what drives people to make videos, who plans on making anything at all in the future (a 10 second clip, a video of people just messing around, some still photographs of your skiboard vacation, etc…), and for those who don't want to release any media I am curious to know who causes that feeling. This is all out of my own curiosity. I like to get into the minds of all who strap on a pair of skiboards.

While we are on the topic of media, what things would you all like to see more of from those who are creating videos, posting photographs, etc… I for one would love to see a full hike up and ride down clip from Jack. I am curious to see how he goes about every step in riding backcountry.
    Everyone should release at least something.
    34.48%
    I like to release as much as possible.
    10.34%
    I like to release quality and not go overboard.
    27.59%
    I try to release at least one thing a year.
    0.00%
    I used to release content, but I don't think I need to anymore. Leave it to those who need exposure.
    0.00%
    I wouldn't be against releasing a small video clip or a few pictures.
    20.69%
    Leave it to the pros. I have nothing to contribute.
    6.90%
    I have no intensions of ever releasing anything.
    0.00%
    I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

im all for people regardless of skill to post something.

but my guess is most people dont because they dont think its up to par (which i can say for myself)

the anoymous aspect of the internet makes it so easy for people to trash sh*t. For instance if you post a vid on newschoolers and your not doing 720's or better you get flamed.

which is just dumb.

me personally, especiallllly with skiboarding would love to see all types of riders. I actually get sick of just watching pros sometimes. It feels more real watching someone less good and closer to your skill set.

i urge everyone on here to post something. anything. I made a few vids of skiboarding but dont think i ever posted them just cause im not so good but i realize it shouldnt matter and anything is better than NOTHING!

i know i would enjoy watching everyone from the noobs to the pros on here.

and +1 on a vid of one of jjues hike/decents!!!! love the whole backcountry thing

do we have a thread on here for people to post edits and pics in instead of making a new thread for each person that wants to post?

Comment

I have a few short clips from last season that I never combined into a larger clip. My intention was to do so, but there's not really much to show. I don't do anything impressive. I just go down the run carving back and forth. Sometimes I'll do spins or ride fakie, but I'm not great at either. I have thrown in a small jump or 180 occasionally, but I do less of that the older I get. I took a hard fall last year doing spins and bruised a rib or two. That wasn't pleasant.

I like watching clips from the park riders, but I would like to see more from the tamer shredders like myself. That's why I really enjoy the Shredfest vids. You get a little of everything. I'd also like to see Jack doing the full backcountry thing.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Folks have tried to get into my mind before. Mostly, it just leads to nausea.
        Crossbow (go to dream board)
        Most everything else over time.
        Go Android

Comment

well by popular demand here are my two backcountry full hike and descent videos .. it really is difficult shooting and editing video and I really give props to Dave Bloom and others for getting professional quality stuff.... for the rest of us ... it is kind of about shooting what you can with little hand held cameras that also have video mode and then trying to edit stuff together ..... on both of the videos I was on the condor , full tilt boots and BTK , backcountry touring kit

this was my amateur attempt at the full enchilada .. music , video and editing galore

This was more of do the whole hike up and ride down commentary , stream of consciousness video .. kind of boring but at least gives folks an idea .. at the end of this video I broke one of the prototype backcountry kits were were testing and had to ride down free heel .. our BTK is more bombproof now
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Hi Dave. Does the occasional vacation picture count as media? That would be our only worthy contribution. I enjoy the park videos, but it's nothing compared to seeing it live as we have at shredfest. It's surreal to me what you guys can do.

Carolyn and I bought a consumer-quality video camera this year and plan to tape each other riding as a training tool for ourselves. These videos will impress no one, but might help us improve our skills.

Valmorel is too modest. A while back, he made a video of he and his chums just cruising on their 120's. That was one of our all-time favorites because their style (and humor) was so good, and it was something we could relate to and learn from. A video of expert riders sharing skiboarding tips and instruction would be wildly popular with folks like us.

Count me in the camp of folks who would love to see what you and Jack, teamed up, could put together by way of a backcountry video. That would be sensational.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              Valmorel is too modest. A while back, he made a video of he and his chums just cruising on their 120's. That was one of our all-time favorites because their style was so good, and it was something we could relate to and learn from.
              I love that video. I get the DVD out every so often and watch it. Give us a wave...Give us a wave.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                Hi Dave. Does the occasional vacation picture count as media? That would be our only worthy contribution.
                Absolutely anything and everything is a worthy contribution. Everyone wants to see what everyone else is doing. It's not about the skill level, but more about just seeing others doing what they live. We are lucky because each and every single one of us is here for skiboarding. It's like sharing home movies with the rest of the family. So please, everyone out there, whether it's a photograph of a family vacation, an 80 foot cliff drop, a laughing fall into 30 people on the bunny slope, or anything else you have, please share your skiboarding experiences visually with us all.
                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Coming from aggressive skating (though I'm not really that good), I would spend countless hours watching edits on rollernews and I liked seeing what pros would come up with as it gave me something to aspire to as somewhat of a ceiling for myself and would get me really pumped up for the next session. You also get a much better sense of the sport when someone who's "mastered" the equipment shows off its potential and versatility. So, whenever an edit would be put up of a guy, even pros mind you, grinding on 2 feet high ledges, and performing tricks to would be labelled as basic, it would get a lot of negative criticism. From what I've thus gathered, people aren't really interested in watching others of lesser skill, either because it just isn't as entertaining or they find that they can't take much from the video that would help improve themselves or spark fresh ideas.

For somewhat reason, I feel like with pictures, being of a static nature, the spectator is given much more time to appreciate what's presented to him and isn't looking at it with as much scrutiny. It also gets straight to the point (for the same reason you don't film yourself in the chairlift in an edit meant to show-off your technical prowess).

That being said, I probably wouldn't post edits of myself learning skiboarding, unless for comedic value, but I'd definitely put up pictures .

Comment

OK.... you can have a wave
                    Crossbow (go to dream board)
                    Most everything else over time.
                    Go Android

Comment

nice vid valmorel! good carving, funny fall too

jjue- nice stuff too...love that backcountry stuff, wish i lived somewhere i could do that

ill post some vids i have for sh*ts and giggles. should we post them in here or make a members media thread?

Comment

heres my contribution.....few vids from last season

Creek

Mt Snow- My first day on big skiis....but my cousin in the vid was using my BWPs

Hunter- Last day last year,2nd time on skis, cuz on BWPs @ 2:30 if you want skip the regular skiing haha

im still working on my editing and stuff, i know its not so good but practice makes perfect.

comments, tips, and criticism is welcome

Comment

Originally posted by ny300z View Post

Creek

Mt Snow- My first day on big skiis....but my cousin in the vid was using my BWPs

Hunter- Last day last year,2nd time on skis, cuz on BWPs @ 2:30 if you want skip the regular skiing haha

im still working on my editing and stuff, i know its not so good but practice makes perfect.

Looks awesome, i especially like around 4:57 in the last video:-)
                          33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            LOL forgot about that

Comment

Originally posted by ny300z View Post

Creek

33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X