BRiGuy and BriGirl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRiGuy and BriGirl

If anyone is interested, I am continuing to post videos of Melissa (BriGirl) and myself here:
    http://vimeo.com/briguy/videos

Me:
    •1+ seasons experience on 103cm Revel8 Rumspringa MaryJanes
    •3+ seasons experience on 99cm Salomon Snowblades / Elan Freelines

Melissa:
    •<1 seasons experience on 90cm Revel8 Tanshos
    •1 seasons experience on 99cm Salomon Snowblades / Elan Freelines

Enjoy! Comments and critiques are always welcome. We're both still learning

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

I would suggest that BriGirl explores more of the mountain.

Hope to see more videos as you guys progress.
    www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
    DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
    Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
    GGO soft boot bindings
    Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

See if you guys can meet up with other skiboarders and learn some tips on getting started. It helped me just on some basic's about carving and fakie. Have fun and Good Luck.
      2009 Revolt "Condor" w Orange Receptor
      2010 Condor w Spruce Sport

Comment

I want to just explain my previous post a bit. That bunny hill seems to slow to practice turning and stopping properly, I think it is actually hurting the learning to be on that hill. I would recommend going to an easy green circle and both practice snaking down it. Basically ski almost sideways across the hill then turn and ski back across the hill. This way you dont go to fast and can really practice your turns, both left and right. The goal is to always be in control, you want to change your angle down the mountain to change your speed and to be able to stop at any time.

Keep head up and looking forward, not down. And try to keep the skiboards as parallel as possible. Hope this helps a bit.

I should try to meet up with some skiboarders as well. That really is one of the quickest ways to learn.
        www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
        DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
        Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
        GGO soft boot bindings
        Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

Originally posted by bee View Post
          I want to just explain my previous post a bit. That bunny hill seems to slow to practice turning and stopping properly, I think it is actually hurting the learning to be on that hill. I would recommend going to an easy green circle and both practice snaking down it. Basically ski almost sideways across the hill then turn and ski back across the hill. This way you dont go to fast and can really practice your turns, both left and right. The goal is to always be in control, you want to change your angle down the mountain to change your speed and to be able to stop at any time.

Keep head up and looking forward, not down. And try to keep the skiboards as parallel as possible. Hope this helps a bit.

I should try to meet up with some skiboarders as well. That really is one of the quickest ways to learn.
          Excellent advice bee. I would agree that the bunny hill can hinder progress because you need some speed to edge properly and learn how to hockey stop.

If nervous about the green run, walk down it the first time zig zag from one side to the other and then retrace the track while riding the second time. That way their is less anxiety.

The rule of thumb to remember is: steeper the run, wider the turns.
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Just to be clear, I have more experience on greens and blues (and now black diamonds) than Melissa. Our histories are drastically different...

I started on skis years ago and a beginner lesson, which threw me on a green run right away. Then I switched to Snowblades but maintained the skier "snowplough" stance for 3 years. Then I took a 7-year break from everything and now trying to unlearn to ski, and learn skiboarding techniques.

Melissa has no skiing history, is quite a bit more timid, and is still learning the basics of control and is still quite scared of going fast. She also has a bit of a fear of heights--seeing the bottom of the hill makes her nervous. If it is forested or obstructed (in her mind) she has a bit more confidence going down. It's something I think she'll get over in time, once she realizes that getting to the bottom is a progressive carve, rather than a giant slide.

All that being said, I can only teach her what I know, so as I discover new (proper) techniques, the intention is to pass them down to her. On my own, I think it's a bit difficult to be an instructor in skiboarding. It seems like something that is passed down or done in groups, or learn from video. The idea of meeting up with others is a great idea, and it's nice to see there are other riders from Toronto.

More videos will come this season. I look forward to more input!

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
            Bindings
            Other
               Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Reminds me of our first season. My wife Maria is afraid of heights so the entire first season she used the kiddie magic carpet then walked up the balance of the green run to get some speed. She fell often enough to realize it did not hurt and that allowed her to get more confident with speed. Which in turn allowed her to learn how to hockey stop and edge.

The second season, I got her on a lift on our local hill and I suspect her eyes were closed the whole time. Then at Christmas we went to Banff and I took her up to a green run, and we "walked" down the entire run carrying our skiboards. Grrrrr! Second time up, we rode down tracing our foot steps. That is now 6 season old history and we get out to the mountains at least twice a season now.

So do not give up on Melissa, it will work out.

BTW: A glass of wine at lunch works wonders in dealing with anxiety.
              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                BTW: A glass of wine at lunch works wonders in dealing with anxiety.
                Good thinking, lol
                08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

That is fantastic BriGuy! So nice to see people getting into the sport.

I, too, would recommend that she try a bit steeper of a hill. Just like you can't water ski if the boat is going too slow, you sink! If you don't have enough of a hill, you don't ever really feel what it should feel like to let the edges bite and turn and stop properly. But I can certainly understand being cautious, and not wanting to get hurt. I didn't look like it, but were you guys wearing helmets? If not, get some, they're not uncomfortable and they keep your head warm. Plus, the added security blanket may help her progress. If you're worried about getting hurt, you're not going to progress. And you can also get wrist guards that are low profile that fit underneath gloves. I used one last year, mainly because I needed to keep my wrist stable due to a previous injury, not for fear of getting hurt.

Have her watch this video. Even though it's in Japanese, you don't need to listen to it to understand it. This video helped me a lot. I really liked putting my hands on my knees to help with my turns. And search around on YouTube for skiboarding videos, the more you watch, the more it starts to make sense. I never managed to master proper carving on my one and only skiboard outing, but I'll get there. I picked it up quickly enough to where I was comfortable going down most any run.

Sports come to all of us in different ways. But it's really great that even though she's cautious, she's doing it. So, way to go BriGuy, keep up the good work!
                  If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
                  www.GetFitnessFast.com
                  www.FastFitShake.com
                  www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
                  '07 BWP's
                  2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
                  Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Originally posted by bri_guy View Post
                    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Melissa has no skiing history, is quite a bit more timid, and is still learning the basics of control and is still quite scared of going fast. She also has a bit of a fear of heights--seeing the bottom of the hill makes her nervous. If it is forested or obstructed (in her mind) she has a bit more confidence going down. It's something I think she'll get over in time, once she realizes that getting to the bottom is a progressive carve, rather than a giant slide.
                    Hey briguy,

This was/is exactly me! I don’t like going fast/feeling out of control, and deathly afraid of heights (the chair lift scares me every time I ride it) and steeps. I was also, and still am, VERY SLOW. But the others are right, bunny slopes don’t do much but actually make you more anxious of the greens when you finally move on to them.

I usually take a short, and a bit fast, run down the bunny as first run really letting myself go there, then head to the green and start more cautiously.

The big problem I had ( and sometimes still have) is that I tend to make shorter quick turns (think of a skier making those quick hop turns) when faced with a steep hill, this is what you learn to do on the bunny, because you’re going slow and no need to burn off speed. So you take that habit to the greens and its exactly what you DON”T want to do there.

Because short quick (small radius turns) actually make you go faster and feel like you have less control because your constantly turning left to right quickly in a small space basically pointing downhill the whole time. This is scary when you feel you can’t control your speed and all you see if front of you is how steep/far you have to go before it evens out.

If she can forget that urge and make wide sweeping turns from edge to edge of the run she will spend more time facing the side of the run then actually looking downhill the whole time.

The other tip that really helped me 100% was some advice Slow gave me back in 2008 when I first started on skibaords, and that’s use your hand to point where you want to go. It’s in the beginner FAQ but it really does work.

Take you hand and point to something on the side of the run and look at it, you will turn in that direction on your own. That will help her with the tendency to look down at her feet or at the slope ahead. For the time being ski behind her to give her the mental reassurance that your running interference for anyone coming behind her and let her concentrate on picking a target on the right, crossing the slope, then picking a target on the left and repeat, make large zigzag turns across the run.

This does a couple of things, it keeps her looking up, it keeps her concentrating on the side of the run rather than the looking/facing downhill, and keeps you from gaining too much speed, because your going across rather than down the slope. Do this for a few runs/weeks if need be and she will gain the confidence and skills to tackle the steeper greens while also giving her the confidence that she can handle those runs.

Towards the end of my first year Skibaording I had a chance to meet up with Wendell at Beaver Creek, we got on what (till then) was the steepest run I had ever tried. I was totally scared. I could not do it and I was going back to the cat walk, but he would not let me!

He said take it side to side, cross the run almost sideways, then turn slightly down hill, then go back the other way. It WORKED. I made it through at a speed I could handle and being in completely control, and since I was focusing the sides of the run rather than looking downhill I was not freaked out by the steepness.

So get her to look up, make wide trail edge to trail edge turns (the hardest part here is when you change direction, that will still be 10 seconds of scare, but you get used to it/better at it) and have her point at a spot she is aiming for. A few times doing this and she won’t need to point anymore, she will be focusing on her target, not looking downhill, and making progress while learning control. The sooner you can do this the better, the bunny runs tend to stifle you. You can go steep without going fast, and control the mental fear as well as the physical speed. Try it, trust me, I was her 2 years ago!
                    ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                    ’09 ALP 110
                    ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
                    ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
                    ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Matthies!!!!!

OMG!!!! where have you been Matthies!!!!????

I've been wondering how you are doing and if you are still skiboarding.. and then here you are!

... BRi's.... keep up the good work on your skiboarding!
                      C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by pinkkid View Post
                        OMG!!!! where have you been Matthies!!!!????

I've been wondering how you are doing and if you are still skiboarding.. and then here you are!

Thanks for the warm welcome back PK. I took the feb '10 bar exam so did not get to board much, but did become a lawyer! Planing on going up here within a week or. See how much i have forgotten, LOL
                        ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                        ’09 ALP 110
                        ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
                        ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
                        ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

Melissa and I appreciate different perspectives and tips, and it's great to know there are others who were once beginners too

One of Melissa's biggest concerns is that she has problems turning in one direction--right. She has no problem turning left, but she feels that her left leg is weaker than her right, and that makes it difficult for her to put pressure on it to turn right. I guess it's just another one of those things to work on; awaken muscles that are not normally used...

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                          Bindings
                          Other
                             Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Thanks for nice videos Briguy!
                            I like skiing but I'm an amateur. So your records help to make some conclusions according to the way of skiing! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bri_guy View Post
                              One of Melissa's biggest concerns is that she has problems turning in one direction--right. She has no problem turning left, but she feels that her left leg is weaker than her right, and that makes it difficult for her to put pressure on it to turn right. I guess it's just another one of those things to work on; awaken muscles that are not normally used...
                              I have the opposite issue - turning left. I prefer to hockeyt-stop with the left leg lower down. I suspect that the right leg tends to drag when turning left.
                              Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                              Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                              Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
                              X