Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortboards vs Longboards

Hey All,
    I'm pretty new to the sport; Only been on the mountain a total of 6 times and 3 of those times on skiboards.

I own a pair of Crossbows on risers and I began wondering what the riding dynamics of an extremely short board like the Bantams would be like.
    What are the major differences between the 75cm Bantams and a 110cm+ new school board?
    I understand the shorter the board the more playful and agile they become, but in-use how do those characteristics express themselves?

I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a pair of bantams and non-release bindings to get a feel for the opposite end of the spectrum within the sport.

My only concern is having too many board to choose from!
    I made the same mistake with camera gear.

Cheers!
    Good. and you?

To be honest, I noticed the freedom of movement, agility, etc the longer i went. i started on Salomon SB9 at 90-ish cm and went thru the RVL8 quiver (in order, revolts, KTP, SII, DLP, RC) i always thought that Revolts were superior to all until I got on DLPs. It seemed the longer I went the more comfortable and agile I have become. After loving my DLPs for a few years I was intrigued to go longer. Again, went thru the quiver of Summit 110, 118, 125, Spruce Crossbows and the Beasts that are the Sherpas. Now while all of them felt okay the Sherpas have taken me to a level of skiboarding that I did not think was possible. I go thru the park, moguls don't terrify me like they once did, pretty much anything I will try with Sherpas on my feet. The long and short of it is that while most of the time shorter means more playful, it's doesn't always sum up to that. The playful and agile comes from finding the boards that fit you best. unfortunately... you have entered the twilight zone of skiboards. There are boards that are only 1cm difference but feel like something completely different. Thankfully there are also an abundance of people out there on this group that will help by letting you try and borrow some to see if you can find what you like. check out the Facebook page as it is a bit more active than here with listing meet ups and such. Welcome to the group.
    Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Thanks so much for the thoughtful write up.
      That certainly seems like I have alot of exploring to do. It is fascinating to see how skiboards have such drastic variations in handling with such small physical differences. It would appear that even Binding set ups have a big difference in handling.

I live in the Seattle area so I have a few more days of skiing left in me, but i am endlessly curious what the limits of this sport are.
      I hope i stumble into something that works for me soon. Im starting to get a sneaking suspicion that there is going to be a loooong road ahead of me to discover what works the best for me.
      Cheers,
      Good. and you?

Comment

Thankfully you have a lot of skiboarders in your immediate area. The differences between boards are amazing. A lot has to do with stiffness, side cut, etc. maybe more of a drastic feel than skis because of the shorter length. It’s a great adventure of a sport!
        Skis/Skiboards:
        2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
        2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
        2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
        2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
        20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
        2012 Salomon SPK 90
        2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
        2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post
          To be honest, I noticed the freedom of movement, agility, etc the longer i went. i started on Salomon SB9 at 90-ish cm and went thru the RVL8 quiver (in order, revolts, KTP, SII, DLP, RC) i always thought that Revolts were superior to all until I got on DLPs. It seemed the longer I went the more comfortable and agile I have become. After loving my DLPs for a few years I was intrigued to go longer. Again, went thru the quiver of Summit 110, 118, 125, Spruce Crossbows and the Beasts that are the Sherpas. Now while all of them felt okay the Sherpas have taken me to a level of skiboarding that I did not think was possible. I go thru the park, moguls don't terrify me like they once did, pretty much anything I will try with Sherpas on my feet. The long and short of it is that while most of the time shorter means more playful, it's doesn't always sum up to that. The playful and agile comes from finding the boards that fit you best. unfortunately... you have entered the twilight zone of skiboards. There are boards that are only 1cm difference but feel like something completely different. Thankfully there are also an abundance of people out there on this group that will help by letting you try and borrow some to see if you can find what you like. check out the Facebook page as it is a bit more active than here with listing meet ups and such. Welcome to the group.
          Thanks for your thoughtful response Mickey. One bit of advice, you should mention your height, weight, skill level and typical snow conditions. I've found this information invaluable for helping people decide what's right for them. Best, G

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post

Thanks for your thoughtful response Mickey. One bit of advice, you should mention your height, weight, skill level and typical snow conditions. I've found this information invaluable for helping people decide what's right for them. Best, G
            Greco, Just out of curiosity, although I already have a pair of crossbows with Rvl8 risers and bindings, what would you recommend someone who is:
            5'9"
            136lbs
            23 Years old.
            Seattle-area Crystal mountain, Bachelor, Snoqualmie.
            Ive been to the mountain a total of 6 times in my life and my skill level is very beginner.

I am not exactly opposed to non-release bindings as I value agility and lightness above all.

Im curious to hear what you opinions are on what I should purchase.
            I would be more than willing to snag a second pair as I am HOOKED.
            I cannot wait to explore deeper into the world of Skiboarding.

Cheers
            Good. and you?

Comment

I started on first generation 99 cm boards but have really favoured the longer end of the short board spectrum for stability since I got onto RVL8s (Spliffs, DLPs, Playmakers). I figured the extra length was better for really ripping, but after trying to keep pace with Bert on 88 cm Blunts, I'm not so sure. We were hitting around 106 km/h and I was working hard to keep up.

Those Blunts might be a good short board option for you to try, especially as you start tackling more powder runs.... I'm guessing you get some decent dumps on the coast. You should have a good amount of float on those at your height and weight. I'm a little taller and heavier but it's a very similar weight : surface area ratio to what I ride.
              BOARDSLAYER
              Base / Edge Destruction X X X
              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
              X