Want to get better in the park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to get better in the park?

I am going to write a followup to the beginner skiboarding tutorial here: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=12658 . After you have the basics, there really isn't a "defined" path, so I was wondering if there was anything specific that people would like covered? I'm not sure if I'll do this as one big "intermediate" tutorial or break it down into individual trick tips, depends on the response.

Post up anything you want to learn, but need some pointers on!

Originally posted by kirk View Post
    Great topic.

Could you talk a little about how different board designs can help or hinder in the park. What kind of length should a board be for safe landings, how does rocker or camber affect hoe the board slides, will the board catch if they are wider or shorter than the width of the box, what effect does the stiffness have, anything else you can think of.

I really have confidence on my Blunts but feel that the longer/wider/stiffer Slapdashes may be better suited to the park?
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I loved your first tutorial on sliding boxes and rails. I'm comfortable sliding sideways now, but I'm not sure where to go from there. It would be great if you covered a few simple tricks to start with once a rider has basic slides down.

Comment

Kirk.

Any tips for not falling back when hitting rails. When I try frontsides I seem to end up with my weight on the back leg and I go down. I haven't tried this on skiboards yet, just inline skates. I can jump on to boxes with forward facing grinds like Mizzous, but the sideways ones trip me up. I just can't seem to jump and keep my weight evenly over both feet.

Thanks.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
          Any tips for not falling back when hitting rails. When I try frontsides I seem to end up with my weight on the back leg and I go down. I haven't tried this on skiboards yet, just inline skates.
          If you haven't tried sideways grinds yet on skiboards, you should give it a shot. Especially on boxes, they are MUCH easier than frontsides on skates. Your wide, flat bases give you a very stable base to slide across. On skates, you really have to get into a royale to have that kind of support from the side of your boot, so it is much easier on skiboards where you can just ride flat.

If you have a low flat box that you are comfortable sliding forwards, just ride up to it completely straight, give a little hop 90 degrees, and land perfectly flat on the box. Don't lean uphill like you are stopping, just keep your weight centered like you are sliding across ice. Physics will make you come out backwards, so just accept that when you get to the end and ride away.

You can practice hopping 90 degrees on a flat slope going really slow. Also, I would recommend using your Blunts. The fat boards give you a very stable base when sliding sideways, and the rocker prevents the tips from catching at all.

Comment

Kirk,
            I wanted to learn more about jumps, maybe more in depth information about progression on these jumps. My problem is attaining more height during the jumps. I used to snowboard and getting air was so much more easier (maybe because I'm incorrectly jumping with skiboards). Using skiboards, I've had to use all my might accelerating and jumping to get only 2-3 feet high off the ramp while I see other snowboarders approach at half the speed with less effort get 6 feet off the ramp.

When I start the jump I accelerate and pedal as fast as I can. During the approach I keep my legs pointed straight and knees bent to maintain speed, when the ramp starts to curve upward I notice a drastic decrease in my speed. At the very tip of the ramp I give my best effort to jump as I am already in the bended knees position pushing down against the ground and leap off the tip. Doing this I usually clear an average of 1-3 feet off the ramp. I've approached this jump as fast as I possibly can and that area where the ramp curves up is where I lose all my speed that I had worked so hard to get. When I snowboarded, I never had this problem.

What am I doing wrong?! Is it my skiboards? (Revel 8, Revolt). I notice you use KTPs for jumps, would the extra acceleration help?

Let me know. Any pointers would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by zealos1 View Post
              I wanted to learn more about jumps, maybe more in depth information about progression on these jumps. My problem is attaining more height during the jumps... Let me know. Any pointers would be great.
              This is somewhat tricky to diagnose without seeing exactly what you are doing, but I will try to help. (If you have any video, post it up - that would help a lot).

First, I can eliminate one thing. The KTPs and Revolts behave nearly identically on jumps, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Next, the snowboard vs. skiboard air issue. I can't tell 100% because I don't see what you are doing, but here is what I suspect may be at play. Although skiboards can generally keep up with snowboards at reaching speed, skiboards do tend to decelerate quicker when traveling flat or going up hill. This is why if you start from the same spot as a snowboarder, you may end up slowing down quicker and getting less air than them.

But the real question at play shouldn't be "am I getting more air than a snowboarder", but "why am I not getting the correct air for the jump?" I really need more details here. What is the jump like that you are hitting? When you say 2-3 feet vs. 6 feet, is this vertical or horizontal distance? Is the jump a proper table with a takeoff, flat deck, and a landing in the park, or is this more like a side hit with a steep lip and no proper landing? What are the snow conditions like?

Really, if the snow conditions are reasonable, and it is a properly built jump, you should have no problem getting the same air as a snowboarder (more importantly, getting the correct air to make it to the landing). But, it is possible that you will have to start a bit further up the hill and take more initial speed in than you think. Just as you are experiencing, you do slow down as you go off the lip, so you need to begin with more speed than the snowboarders to make up for this.

If this is isn't a properly built jump, but more of a sidehit style jump, you might just be out of luck. Snowboarders have more fore-aft stability because their legs act as a dual suspension system, so they have a much better time adapting to small jumps with a radius that is too steep. With skiboards, you essentially have a single suspension system that is not going to fare as well on this type of jump. (Skiiers have the same problem... Snowboarders used to complain "that skiier just ruined my jump", but it really meant the jump wasn't built right to begin with) My only suggestion in this case would be to find some correctly built jumps... they are much more fun (and safe) anyway.

Post up more details and I can try to help more. This is just some generic ideas I'm kicking around, and more details would help a lot.

Comment

If doing rails, must one detune edges or is factory edge fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I second Air-Rik. Is keeping a 90/0 fine for park play or is going to a 90/1 or 89/1 a better idea?

I've started some playing in the park recently on factory settings and haven't really had an issue. Just some box slides and straight off jumps though. I've been a bit concerned about hitting a rail without an idea of what edge may be too much for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Air-Rik View Post
                    If doing rails, must one detune edges or is factory edge fine?
                    Factory edge is absolutely fine - I never detune my boards.

If your edges are catching it isn't because they are too sharp, but because you are doing something wrong. You should always be flat on your bases or slightly on the uphill edge while grinding. Some park riders detune their boards, but I consider it a waste since you loose edge that helps on your landings and all mountain riding, and it doesn't really make a difference on rails.

Comment

Originally posted by bhd1223 View Post
                      I second Air-Rik. Is keeping a 90/0 fine for park play or is going to a 90/1 or 89/1 a better idea?

I've started some playing in the park recently on factory settings and haven't really had an issue. Just some box slides and straight off jumps though. I've been a bit concerned about hitting a rail without an idea of what edge may be too much for it.
                      If you can slide a box sideways, a rail is really the same thing. The only difference is that you need to have fore-aft balance. Don't worry about your edges, just give it a shot when you're comfortable.

Comment

Post up more details and I can try to help more. This is just some generic ideas I'm kicking around, and more details would help a lot.

I think it would be more helpful if I show you. When I go out there tomorrow, I'll record and post a video here.

Comment

Originally posted by zealos1 View Post
                          I think it would be more helpful if I show you. When I go out there tomorrow, I'll record and post a video here.
                          Nice, that's definitely the best way. Get a clip of a snowboarder going as high as you want to also if you can.

Comment

Kirk,

This has been a long time coming since that day I was supposed to record vids of snowboarders jumps. I remember that day the park had melted into rocks and mud and I was bummed out that my local slopes were melted over after years of depressing droughts. However last year we finally had some historical snowfall and I was able to literally "jump" on the opportunity to start hitting the park once again. I finally got to the height that I wanted and just wanted to give a big thanks for the advice given earlier.

Mammoth_Jump

Going to continue on the progression! I've actually done a couple of rails as well!

Comment

Hey Zealos,

If you are in Mammouth, there are one or two riders at that mountain that could help you progress.
                              I was there last year, and there is no shortage of terrain parks with every type of jump/rail you can find, so you have a good playground.

If you were interested in riding with someone that can truly lead and teach by example, I know a guy there that might be able to take a couple runs with you.
                              facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Working...
                              X