Rail Tech and Air Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rail Tech and Air Tech

What types of things do skiboarders in general need to have/work on/progress in to be considered a rail tech and/or an air tech?
    I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

if i knew, i would be good in the park.
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

their drinking?
      facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

spinning both ways off rails or jumps. throwing same trick both ways with different grabs. spinning on rails (not boxes) needs to be more common

-B
        sigpic

Comment

Personally, skating helped me get more comfortable on rails and boxes. Skating definitely helped me balance more. Even though I mostly did small soul grinds with an small occasional frontside, this definitely helped with balance. Last season, I didn't really feel comfortable doing much of anything, whereas this year I definitely felt much more comfortable. I don't really know how to describe it...but hitting rails and boxes seemed almost more "instinctive" than it had previously, before I had skated.
          I Ski 4 Smitty.

Comment

Originally posted by Branden View Post
            spinning both ways off rails or jumps.
            Well put. I think there is so much focus on booming up the bigger tricks that the basics get left behind, this specifically. Left and right rotation is key in that progress towards quality technical riding.

To add to that, I think the varied grabs as well. We started to see more of that over the past few years, but it's still lacking. Ideally, all riders would have 6 or 7 different grabs regularly displayed.

Originally posted by Branden View Post
            spinning on rails (not boxes) needs to be more common
            This is a great insight. I think we heavily need this as a focus, both with the sport as a whole for display of talents as well as the simple idea of progression towards being more technical with riding.

Something I see as key is something Matt Hein and I had an in-depth discussion about a few weeks ago. We are skiboarders. We don't use poles. We have our hands free with plenty of opportunities. We need to take advantage of the short length and use of everything we have around us, including our bodies and boards. It's not just about progression, but it's really about the technical aspect of what we are doing. The Junk Show Team really focused on that this year with use of types of grinds (tail presses and one-footed switch-ups), hand placement (hand drag grinding and unique grabs for backslides, fastslides, makios, etc…), using features in unique ways (side hitting the kickers of jumps and deck-to-deck flips and spins), working the shortness of our boards to our advantage (med-spins onto rails/boxes and buttering off jumps), etc… Just examples of stuff we've been working on, but there is a world of stuff we haven't even touched upon. Get into that technical zone.
            I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

i really liked the hand drags. using hands is something not seen everyday in the park, and can leave a great impact on viewers.

Comment

Pick up in and out burger as a sponsor

Comment

In all seriousness, to be a "rail tech" you need to do all 8 on rails,. Not just a box. And multiple natural/unnatural flips and spins to be a "air tech". Including multiple grabs.

Comment

Talking about rails i have a pair of the old orange salmon snowblades, and is it me that i catch a edge and kill myself on rails, or is it them?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LugeDude View Post
                      Talking about rails i have a pair of the old orange salmon snowblades, and is it me that i catch a edge and kill myself on rails, or is it them?
                      its them.....i used snow blades they catch very very easily but now that i use wider boards (revel8) i haven't caught once so you should be good when you get on your condors next year.

OR

you can detune your snow blade edges under where your bindings are located using a file so they won't catch.

Comment

Ok, i thought i was just horrible bad, and if i did get the last pair of condors i should be good for the upcoming season!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X