How to progress in the park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to progress in the park?

Boy, I hope somebody reads this, I see that this sub-forum doesn't get a lot of attention.

I would like to get a little braver in the park. I can do very small boxes, and very little jumps. I'd like to know if there is some step-by-step progression of things I should be doing to get better. I'd LOVE to be brave enough to try to slide sideways on boxes so that I can eventually move up to rails. If there is another thread/sticky that I should read, PLEASE let me know!

Any/all help is appreciated!
    If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
    www.GetFitnessFast.com
    www.FastFitShake.com
    www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
    '07 BWP's
    2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
    Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

The first rule is to commit. You need to just have confidence in yourself and make it happen.

I think a good first step is to get better at riding faster, riding fakie, and being stable with transitioning between carves. I think building those skills up will make you more confident on your landings whether it is landing jumps or turning on a rail and turning off the rail to land confidently.
    ~harry

@HarrySiii
    -Skier turned snowboarder turned skiboarder
    -RVL8 2010 KTP, RVL8 Receptors
    -RVL8 EMP, Line FF Pro
    -Deeluxe 225 (FINALLY a boot I can wear!)

Comment

Belle, some years ago on the now-defunct Doc Roberts message board, Kirk posted a lengthy and excellent primer on jumps and park tricks written with novices in mind in response to a question just like yours. Seems like it may have been re-posted here but I wouldn't know where to start looking for it. If found, it would be a good post to sticky. Maybe Kirk or someone else can help.

Edit: Here it is, second post down: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=10313

If that's not the exact post I was thinking of, it's much the same.
      Last edited by Bill; 12-28-2011, 10:13 AM. Reason: found Kirk's post

Comment

Hey Belle,

The link that Bill put is pretty solid all around advice. Here are some specifics that can help your goal of hitting boxes and eventually rails sideways:

First, learn to ride backwards fairly well. This is really essential. You don't have to be able to rip down the hill doing full out backwards carves, but be comfortable enough that you can switch between riding forwards and backwards at a comfortable speed.

Next, learn to get comfortable doing 180s off of small jumps. Start by spinning on flat ground, then "popping" them around on flat ground, and finally try them off of tiny jumps. You don't need to be in the terrain park for this: any isolated moguls, side hits, or little drops are fine. This is essential because this is how you will land after sliding a box/rail. Once you can do a 180' with about a foot or two of air, sliding a box will be a piece of cake.

Now, sliding a box is super easy, once you know how. The biggest thing is that you have to put full 100% trust in physics. However you approach the box is exactly how you are going to slide. Find the widest, lowest box you can. Approach it with moderate speed, and aim straight at it. When you get to the lip, jump exactly 90 degrees, and land flat on the box with both feet, equally balanced. DO NOT carve coming up to it, and DO NOT lean like you are stopping. If you do either of these, you will fall! Being on a box is like being on an extreme sheet of ice. Your edges have virtually no control, and you are going to continue with whatever momentum you had approaching the box.

Assuming you did the above, as you continue across the box, your body will slowly continue to spin. This is normal, and physics will force you to come out of the box backwards. This is why learning 180s is essential. If you try to land forwards, you will be fighting physics, increasing your chances of falling. Once you come off the end, let your body land backwards and ride away!

There are two main things that people have trouble with:
        1. Not approaching the box straight - If you don't aim completely straight at the box, there is nothing you can do to win. You absolutely must be comfortable with the speed and landing backwards, then commit 100%. If you try to carve at the last second, you will fall and it will hurt!

2. Leaning like you are stopping - Imagine you are on a sheet of ice. If you try to stop like you would on regular snow, you are going to fall. This is the same idea on a box, but even more exagerated. You have to be completely balanced, not leaning uphill.

As long as you do the above, you won't have any trouble. Just make sure you can land backwards, then jump on for a ride!

Comment

Thanks a TON Bill and Kirk! I feel like I just got a private park lesson, LUCKY ME!!!

Riding backwards is something I played with a LOT last year. I got stuck learning to control myself when I was practicing my spins. When I didn't make it all the way around, I ended up sliding down backwards, thankfully, I didn't break anything. I'm certainly not a pro at bombing down a run riding fakie, but I have decent control and ability to spin back around. Next step, hopping the 180 back around!

I do have to beef up my confidence, it's always been my biggest hurdle. I have forever been an athlete (gymnastics, springboard diving, and now I teach a trampoline aerobics class, WOO HOO!) so the ability is in me. I tend to over think EVERYTHING, but when I just trust myself and GO, I tend to do just fine. What pains me is when I watch videos of the R8 team guys doing amazing things, I so wish I could do that! I can "feel" myself doing a complete back flip off a jump. I don't ever anticipate getting that good, but the "feeling" is there. Having weekly access to a trampoline (in the class that I teach at a trampoline jump center http://www.boingjumpcenter.com/) I worked my way back up to feeling comfortable doing flips and other things a 31 yr old, washed up, former gymnast, has NO business doing! (I break a lot easier these days ). So, I will continue to learn and watch as many videos as I can. You guys are an inspiration!

I sincerely appreciate the help, and it did help me immensely. I can't wait to strap in and give it a shot. 5-1/2 weeks and counting!

www.GetFitnessFast.com
          www.FastFitShake.com

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
          '07 BWP's
          2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
          Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Originally posted by Belle1708 View Post
            Thanks a TON Bill and Kirk! I feel like I just got a private park lesson
            Don't include me, Belle. All I did was vaguely remember an old post. For me, "park" is what I do with my truck when I go to the store.

Kirk writes really well and does a great job of putting his thoughts down in an understandable way, don't you think?

Comment

Thanks for asking Belle this helps me out too. My confidence is always an issue. Something I want to over come! I love the park and want to learn more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                For me, "park" is what I do with my truck when I go to the store.
                Good one!
                Boards/Bindings:
                2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post

As long as you do the above, you won't have any trouble. Just make sure you can land backwards, then jump on for a ride!
                  hey kirk,

if you want to create one "freestyle skiboading how to" compilation post in the freestyle section i'd be happy to stick it.

and happy birthday old hickory!

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Don't include me, Belle. All I did was vaguely remember an old post. For me, "park" is what I do with my truck when I go to the store.

Kirk writes really well and does a great job of putting his thoughts down in an understandable way, don't you think?
                    Don't sell yourself short Bill, parking your truck is a very useful skill to have, not everyone possesses it.

And yes, he does a beautiful job of explaining proper progression to where I can see myself doing those things. Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks Kirk!

www.GetFitnessFast.com
                    www.FastFitShake.com

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
                    '07 BWP's
                    2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
                    Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Thanks everyone! I love seeing people get into riding park because it is so much fun, so I jump on any chance I get to offer advice.

Greco - that sounds good. I'll write something up. I think I'll break it up for different audiences, starting with beginners.

Edit: Just added the beginner tutorial. Took mostly from what I had here and the other post, and adapted it into a reference for park beginners.

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
                        Thanks everyone! I love seeing people get into riding park because it is so much fun, so I jump on any chance I get to offer advice.
                        Kirk = my new hero

www.GetFitnessFast.com
                        www.FastFitShake.com

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
                        '07 BWP's
                        2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
                        Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Working...
                        X