Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I have watched this about ten times back to back. I cannot stop laughing.

Leave a comment:

• eldiablodenieve
    replied

Progression is whatever you want it to be...try new things, do something that's never been done before, go bigger, charge harder, or simply make it down your first green, blue, black, double black, etc. Have fun and keep riding! That and the hard work and dedication from Greco to keep delivering a quality product and a place that brings people together are the most important things to facilitating "progress". Greco is awesome to deal with from a business perspective, a true ambassador of not only his products, but also for skiboarding and the people who love it. Big props for fueling and supporting skiboarding and for being a top-notch legit business owner and individual. But you still don't have no pancake mix!

Leave a comment:

• SBruce
    replied
    We are all individuals with the intent on having fun in whatever form we see fit. We will each progress at our own pace and learn the things our bodies and brains can handle. One thing I know is that I am never going back to skis and poles as I have had so much fun on my boards over the years. I yearn to ride with more skiboarders -- I've converted a few friends and family to the sport and now feel the need to ride with some "strangers" this winter. Looking forward to what comes my way.

Leave a comment:

• DennisEvans
    replied
    I just see progression as a purely individualistic journey. I for one, tend to ride an extremely relaxed style and when I say relaxed I mean laid back, and when I say laid back, I really mean I ride back seat just because I like how it feels. The way I ride allows me to do ground tricks such as ground spins, presses, and slides quicker than if I was in an upright athletic stance.

I love my ground tricks, they're what I do best, so that's how I ride to accommodate.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    They idea I presented was not to deny that progression existed. Quite the opposite in fact. My goal was more to push the possibilities existing within new directions and unexplored areas with intentions to define more uniqueness to our sport. Bring influence from someone's background is inherent with all that they do. But, to take a step back and try to think outside the box defines a new type of progression, hence the change that I referred to. This is not something that I expect to place in any area of our sport, let alone just the freestyle sector. And, I do not intend to leave out or alienate those not involved in freestyle riding. I am just posing the idea to question unexplored areas. Positioning of boards on rails, using them for things other than what was originally intended, backcountry, urban, the use of different types of features in rural, urban, and suburban settings, using the boards on other workable surfaces such as sand, and anything else the mind can think up. I do not imply that we forget what progress we have made thus far and take out the account that we all have backgrounds in different areas. I am merely striking up a conversation based on creative flow of the mind and simply ask… What's next? Where do we go from here? Have we missed anything? What new possibilities exist? What can we do different?

Please, don't think that I am saying throw it all away and move in a different direction. I am just posing the what-ifs.

And, remember that these are only the thoughts and ideas represented by my own frame of thinking and do not reflect the intentions and interests of anyone else associated with Revel8 Skiboards and Skiboards Online. We represent and love the company we ride for. But, we do not all think the same way when it comes to how we ride boards. I respect all who skiboard and the intentions they carry. That is the beauty of this free thinking forum that allows for all open conversations, including the ones we don't agree with.

Leave a comment:

• matthew
    replied
    another thing to keep in mind is skiboarding is a small sport. no one makes a living off of it. so our top "pro's" are also working jobs supporting themselves. it is not like that in other bigger sports where those pro's it is there job like in skiing and snowboarding for example. this to me is the biggest factor for why our progression has been slower but it is for sure there. just go back and look at all the old video's and you can see how much better everyone is today compared to back then.

just a thought.
    matt

Leave a comment:

• DennisEvans
    replied
    Originally posted by Davelynam View Post
    A spoon full of progression helps the sport all around, but youre right... I'm just out to have fun. Thanks for putting it in words that I couldnt find Mr. Evans
    No prob man. Expression of any kind is an art and the mountain is your canvas.

I'll see you on the slopes.

Leave a comment:

• Davelynam
    replied
    Originally posted by DennisEvans View Post
    I don't think DLP is really trying to progress the sport, I think he's just having fun and that's what people need to see.
    A spoon full of progression helps the sport all around, but youre right... I'm just out to have fun. Thanks for putting it in words that I couldnt find Mr. Evans

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    Style ...

To me the discussion of style and progression , is really not about making us look better to the outside world , or of deciding which one of us is part of the " in crowd " and which of us are "outsiders" but more about progression of the sport as a whole ... perhaps a digression into the history of surf culture is helpful , before there were "short boards" all surfers were "long boarders" using big long surfboards . There was an evolution in equipment and new short surfboards were created .. with the new equipment there was an evolution in style as riders took techniques from skateboarding to slash and attack the waves taking advantage of the short new boards ... this resulted in a new look and a new style of surfing ... It was the marriage of new equipment and young energetic riders on that equipment that evolved the new surfing style ...
    In many ways I think the new modern skiboarding equipment matched with a new generation of riders is just crying out for experimentation in developing new tricks and new styles of riding ... yes there are advantages and disadvantages in our equipment compared to skis and snowboards .. what I see as VERY exciting is a new young generation of riders capitalizing on our modern skiboard equipment and showing what really can be done on it ! I will ,for one, god forbid , not be doing the tricks. As an old geezer ,my personal style will always be that of an old school skier riding his short sticks like his old long sticks because they are easier to turn ! I will , however, stare in amazement as I am schooled by my young friends here showing what CAN be done on the very same sticks I use to cruise leisurely down mountain !

Leave a comment:

• DennisEvans
    replied
    Originally posted by Plorr View Post
    ^Dennis, I'm shocked that that's how you feel about the sport you are so proud to be a part of. Last time I rode with you at the US Open a few years ago, you seemed like one of the guys who was really stoked to be out there riding. I have to admit your park riding isn't top notch, but you were out there having a good time and pushing your limits. It saddens me that you have sort of given up on your own progression and succumbed to the idea that you just don't have it in you. As a wise man once said, "Skiboarding is 90% mental, the other half is physical."
    This is exactly what I'm talking about, I'm stoked for my own personal progression. Any way you slice it skiboarding is essentially skiing really the only difference is how you position yourself over the boards, sure you can go bigger on skis, sure you can huck the shit out of anything you want on skis, I landed a 45 footer on skis the end of the season before last, but I sure as hell couldn't get past 40 on the boards. What really blows my mind is that DLP is throwing shit over 70 footers in CO and blowing people's minds I mean, he's where the sport is, he's doing that because it's fun and he can. Personally, I have far too much survival instinct and tend to over think tricks when I'm on my way up the jump, Lynam, he'll just sing Kesha songs and hit the jump, he has no fear and that's what it takes.

I don't think DLP is really trying to progress the sport, I think he's just having fun and that's what people need to see. If we try to make ourselves popular, and I know this first hand from the time I was 8 until about sophomore year of high school, nobody will accept you. If we're obviously trying too hard people can see, but if we're having fun, like when I was at Mt Bohemia before the first Midwest meet, Brian and I became legends in one day of riding. All weekend people were talking about the snowbladers that were dropping cliffs and racing down shoots between trees. We weren't trying to prove anything, we were just doing what we wanted to do and nobody had a negative thing to say about us the entire time we were there.

Progression will come in time, there's no doubt of that in my mind. But what it is necessary to understand is that nothing comes fast, it took snowboarding from somewhere around 1986 I believe to somewhere around 95 to become the legitimate, fastest growing, winter sport that it is today. We're starting with a lower base count, no surfers and no skate boarders to back us up, all we have is skiiers who don't really enjoy skiing, and inline skaters that don't like the feel of the extra length of the skis. I mean no offense to the groups I mentioned, but these are the facts. Hell, skiboarding got me because, even though I'd wanted to try skiboards while I was still snowboarding, I had to hurt myself bad enough that I'd be told to not ride snowboards anymore, which was a crock but anyway, you only really have me in the sport because I couldn't ride my board anymore. But I love it, and that's what matters to me.

Leave a comment:

• Talon
    replied
    I feel like this is completely off topic all together.. Ill take my posts down.. IM me on the effBee if you wannna chat it up

Leave a comment:

• Plorr
    replied
    Originally posted by Talon
    I am just saying I am fine with continuing my progression through my influence of skiing, and that is how I choose to define my riding style.
    This may be getting way too off topic, but let me ask you a question Talon. If you are choosing to emulate skiing style, what advantages do skiboards have to you over long skis?

I think a discussion along this vein is relevant to Dave's topic. I think the progression he is talking about has less to do with how many people on the team can do doubles or pretzels or how many grabs can you do with your fakie cork 9s, and more to do with taking advantage of what skiboards have to offer that long skis and snowboards do not.

Leave a comment:

• Ethan
    replied
    This specific thread is focusing on progression, so let's not digress so much. I would like to think that none of the opinions anyone has put out yet are intended to look like no one cares about the other realms of the sport. Exactly like Talon said, he draws his influence from skiing, yet he doesn't think a rollerblade influence is wrong at all. This thread itself is simply focused on progression though, so let's keep it at that...not that I'm trying to impose some sort of "authority" (God knows I'm the last to have it here), but I really am interested by this topic.

Originally posted by Talon
    "If it's not broken, don't fix it."
    As for this...I think that statement completely goes against everything we're talking about here. Not shaking things up is how things turn stale and get boring. If there's no change, and you've already "peaked", what's to stop you from leaving? Don't be afraid to open your mind and try new things. Staying the same equals fear of difference.

Leave a comment:

• Davelynam
    replied
    Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    Please dont forget Shredfest. This is one of the major 'progressions' we have had, and is going from strength to strength. Everybody from top park riders to backcountry guys all mixing together, sharing ideas and styles, board and graphic designers on board, wives and gf's. A sound, great friendly community in action.
    AMEN. the greatest event ive ever been to in my career

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    Please dont forget Shredfest. This is one of the major 'progressions' we have had, and is going from strength to strength. Everybody from top park riders to backcountry guys all mixing together, sharing ideas and styles, board and graphic designers on board, wives and gf's. A sound, great friendly community in action.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X