No announcement yet.

Overall Thoughts on Freestyle Skiboarding and Progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a thought on this. I think all of us with our different styles have helped to progress this sport.From the guys out pushin it it the park to bring us some sick edits. To the consumers who give greco feedback so he can make improvments on the products he puts out and carries on sbol. And the select few who will venture into no-mans land in search of personal fulfillment. we have all in a small way helped this sport get to where it is today. where we go next is truely up to us. Me, Im headed into the backcountry this year to showcase big MT riding. Im not talking about shots in the woods I want the shots from 2000 ft above tree line. skiboarders hittin 50 -6o- even 70 mph down 50deg pitches with no turns. 40 ft cornice drops. things of that nature. We have only seen small snipets of what we can do away from resorts. I think I this year ( if we get some snow) Is the year. Thats how I plan to contribute to the next level of skiboardings progression.
    live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

Originally posted by winterparkrider View Post
      ...... Me, Im headed into the backcountry this year to showcase big MT riding. Im not talking about shots in the woods I want the shots from 2000 ft above tree line. skiboarders hittin 50 -6o- even 70 mph down 50deg pitches with no turns. 40 ft cornice drops. things of that nature. We have only seen small snipets of what we can do away from resorts. I think I this year ( if we get some snow) Is the year. Thats how I plan to contribute to the next level of skiboardings progression.
      All good , Brett ... just please be safe !
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by winterparkrider View Post
        I have a thought on this. I think all of us with our different styles have helped to progress this sport.From the guys out pushin it it the park to bring us some sick edits. To the consumers who give greco feedback so he can make improvments on the products he puts out and carries on sbol. And the select few who will venture into no-mans land in search of personal fulfillment. we have all in a small way helped this sport get to where it is today. where we go next is truely up to us. Me, Im headed into the backcountry this year to showcase big MT riding. Im not talking about shots in the woods I want the shots from 2000 ft above tree line. skiboarders hittin 50 -6o- even 70 mph down 50deg pitches with no turns. 40 ft cornice drops. things of that nature. We have only seen small snipets of what we can do away from resorts. I think I this year ( if we get some snow) Is the year. Thats how I plan to contribute to the next level of skiboardings progression.
        I'm with you on this. I have already been pushing myself a bit in this this season. Hopefully I will be able to help a bit.
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

NOW we're talking. No more shying away or finding reasons not to push ourselves. Progression will happen on its own, sure. But, it is from those who go out and actually attempt to make a difference that find great success, or fail trying and learn mistakes in order to be successful in the future. I have been discussing the backcountry progression with Brett a lot and am really excited to be apart of this. Brett is like our own personal Seth Morrison. Andrew has been really stoked on this as well and I am really excited to see it all play out. Matt, Brandon, and I have had the chance to ride with Brett and looks like things will be quite epic this season.

I would like to add a reminder that I don't discredit or look past progression of any form in any area of the sport. Personal progression is always there in all forms as well as how we conduct business and develop new products. Just be sure to pay attention to this entire thread, all the way to the beginning, where I specifically mentioned the intention of this discussion was based in the freestyle area. I do leak and lead this to backcountry as well.

My personal goal is to push the limits of park and BC riding while attempting to enter new areas unexplored are barely explored prior to the current skiboarding era.
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Hello guys. I'm a totally new skiboarder. Actually, I'm new to snow sports in general. My background is in Freestyle Slalom, and Parkour. I got into skiboarding after seeing amazing ground tricks. The possibility of owning a hill in style and flair was inspiring.

When I see snowboarders doing ground tricks its the same thing over and looks smooth. Sadly, they can't combo them.

Honestly that's what brought me to skiboarding, and what I believe skiboards can do better then any other equipment on the snow.

Coming from a parkour, and freestyle slalom background I've learned that Flow and Style is everything. Skiboards are so small you could do a ground trick right before hitting a rail, and flow into another trick after you get off.

Moves like Matt Hein's hand plant spin (what does he call it) looks awesome. I doubt it could be replicated on skis or boards as smoothly.

Skateboarders do one trick, then wind up for the next. Skiboarders can combo and flow.
            That's the advantage I've taken from the sport so far.

For example I was at Mt. Tremblant on a double black diamond hill, and instead of controlled typical zig-zags like all the skiers around me. I was spinning, and jumping in organized fashion that didn't look wild yet I was having way more fun as my mate was on his snowboard on his ass slowly siding down.

Maybe its our style of riding hills that needs to differ from the 'Mummy' and 'Daddy' of snow sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Synn View Post
              Skiboards are so small you could do a ground trick right before hitting a rail, and flow into another trick after you get off.
              I am so glad you brought that up…

I brought that up in a previous thread about five months back that never brought up attention. It has been something that has been brewing up with me, due to my skating background, while riding and filming. Google "Med Spin" and "Rollerblading." That will point you in the direction I have been aiming in.
              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post
                "Med Spin" and "Rollerblading."
                If you know this one, you definitely rollerbladed in the 90s....

Comment

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, son. I rollerskated in the 80s. (and….cue rollerskating in the 70s comment)
                  I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

Obviously I am new to this website but I have been skiboarding for roughly ten years now. When I first started there was pretty much no one else on the mountain with skiboards or even snowblades. I am speaking for East Coast PA/MD area. SnowBlades have definatety been appearing more and more and now I usually end up BSing with some random Skiboarder everytime out. There is always a discussion on the lift about my boards, usually with an older guy who is just curious about "Short Skis". Now that kids will see them more and more and they are different than snowboards it will gain momentum going forward.

As far as progression goes, to be able to ride true powder now is awesome. I go up to Killington every year and I have always struggled on powder days, but now with Sherpas, 120s, Condors etc. the Skiboarding style is limitless. I was close to buying skis so I could do powder but then I came across this site and I have had Sherpas on my radar for a few years, now I have a pair sitting under my Xmas tree.

And for you guys to start rocking Backcountry that takes it to a whole new level. Hiking with boards half the size is a big plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post
                      (and….cue rollerskating in the 70s comment)
                      How about the 60s.

Comment

Hopefully this season at Vail I will not only be able to progress in the park and trees, but also being at Vail, I plan lots of backcountry excursions into the surrounding territory, including a few snowmobile expeditions. I hope to push powder skiboarding alot here, especially at Vails world famous back bowls.

I also am going to be repping hard for skiboarding here at Vail. It is a world class ski resort, and people come here from all over the place. Riding on my Line 98cm MNPs is fun, but I can't convince people that skiboarding is here to stay without some more up to date gear (coming later this week!)

Its time to show people that skiboarding is an all mountain sport, just as effective on-piste on groomers as it is in crud, moguls, powder and backcountry. The cool thing is, with the introduction of of the rocketed condors, we can do all of this boarding without having to switch equipment (but we can if we want.)
                        2016 Spliffs - Stiff Spliff Sticks!
                        2015 Blunt XLs - My go to All-Mountain All-Day boards
                        2014 Blunts - Short with Attitude
                        2013 KTPS - The Cambered Beasts
                        2012 Rockered Condors - The Big Pow Sticks
                        2002 Line MNP 98cm (Retired)
                        SnowJam 540 Softboot Bindings - My go to bindings
                        Original Rocker Softboot Bindings - For when my friends want to try
                        RVL8 Receptors - Red
                        Line FF Pros (Red - missing)
                        DC Status 2012 Softboot (Looking to Upgrade)
                        Nordica GTS6 Hardboot (Looking to Upgrade)

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
                          How about the 60s.
                          Ha! that's exactly what I was thinking rgzip! Do you remember "street kings"? We used to cannibalize those by throwing away the dainty cloth uppers and mounting the running gears on hockey boots. The steel wheels would only hold up for so long (playing street hockey on pavement) before they would wear through!

Comment

Or you would get the ones that clamp to your shoes and then tape or tie them on so they handle the slides better.

and for you young guys...Yes we talked 5 miles to school in the snow, barefoot and uphill both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
                              Or you would get the ones that clamp to your shoes and then tape or tie them on so they handle the slides better.

and for you young guys...Yes we talked 5 miles to school in the snow, barefoot and uphill both ways.
                              why would you talk 5 miles to school in snow??? i don't think i could come up with anything to talk about for 5 mile's.

Comment

Originally posted by enouf24 View Post
                                why would you talk 5 miles to school in snow??? i don't think i could come up with anything to talk about for 5 mile's.
                                That's easy, we would talk about how dramatic our folks would get when they told us how hard they had it when they were kids, and would scheme about pulling the same scam on our kids when we were old and decrepit ;-)

In a (possibly strained) way, this comes back around to Dave’s thoughts about progression. Back when rgzip and I were kids, we pushed our equipment to the limits of what it would do (with duct tape!). There had to be a better way, and someone came up with inline skates which were a thousand times better than the crude skates we had. Before long folks on inline skates were doing things we couldn’t have dreamed of, equipment advances were pushing the performance bar and vice-versa, riders were pushing the tech along.

These days, as a recreational rider who will not be pushing any performance bars, all I care about is riding what I enjoy the most. It’s not much different than the fact that I drive a pickup truck and not a Ferrari, even though the Ferrari will go faster. But that doesn’t stop us from telling “back when we were kids” stories! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X