Overall Thoughts on Freestyle Skiboarding and Progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DennisEvans View Post
    I don't think DLP is really trying to progress the sport, I think he's just having fun and that's what people need to see.
    A spoon full of progression helps the sport all around, but youre right... I'm just out to have fun. Thanks for putting it in words that I couldnt find Mr. Evans
    facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Originally posted by Davelynam View Post
      A spoon full of progression helps the sport all around, but youre right... I'm just out to have fun. Thanks for putting it in words that I couldnt find Mr. Evans
      No prob man. Expression of any kind is an art and the mountain is your canvas.

I'll see you on the slopes.
      Revel8 ALPdors
      Gold Revel8 Receptors
      Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
      ____
      Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
      If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

another thing to keep in mind is skiboarding is a small sport. no one makes a living off of it. so our top "pro's" are also working jobs supporting themselves. it is not like that in other bigger sports where those pro's it is there job like in skiing and snowboarding for example. this to me is the biggest factor for why our progression has been slower but it is for sure there. just go back and look at all the old video's and you can see how much better everyone is today compared to back then.

just a thought.
        matt

Comment

They idea I presented was not to deny that progression existed. Quite the opposite in fact. My goal was more to push the possibilities existing within new directions and unexplored areas with intentions to define more uniqueness to our sport. Bring influence from someone's background is inherent with all that they do. But, to take a step back and try to think outside the box defines a new type of progression, hence the change that I referred to. This is not something that I expect to place in any area of our sport, let alone just the freestyle sector. And, I do not intend to leave out or alienate those not involved in freestyle riding. I am just posing the idea to question unexplored areas. Positioning of boards on rails, using them for things other than what was originally intended, backcountry, urban, the use of different types of features in rural, urban, and suburban settings, using the boards on other workable surfaces such as sand, and anything else the mind can think up. I do not imply that we forget what progress we have made thus far and take out the account that we all have backgrounds in different areas. I am merely striking up a conversation based on creative flow of the mind and simply ask… What's next? Where do we go from here? Have we missed anything? What new possibilities exist? What can we do different?

Please, don't think that I am saying throw it all away and move in a different direction. I am just posing the what-ifs.

And, remember that these are only the thoughts and ideas represented by my own frame of thinking and do not reflect the intentions and interests of anyone else associated with Revel8 Skiboards and Skiboards Online. We represent and love the company we ride for. But, we do not all think the same way when it comes to how we ride boards. I respect all who skiboard and the intentions they carry. That is the beauty of this free thinking forum that allows for all open conversations, including the ones we don't agree with.
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

I just see progression as a purely individualistic journey. I for one, tend to ride an extremely relaxed style and when I say relaxed I mean laid back, and when I say laid back, I really mean I ride back seat just because I like how it feels. The way I ride allows me to do ground tricks such as ground spins, presses, and slides quicker than if I was in an upright athletic stance.

I love my ground tricks, they're what I do best, so that's how I ride to accommodate.
            Revel8 ALPdors
            Gold Revel8 Receptors
            Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
            ____
            Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
            If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

We are all individuals with the intent on having fun in whatever form we see fit. We will each progress at our own pace and learn the things our bodies and brains can handle. One thing I know is that I am never going back to skis and poles as I have had so much fun on my boards over the years. I yearn to ride with more skiboarders -- I've converted a few friends and family to the sport and now feel the need to ride with some "strangers" this winter. Looking forward to what comes my way.

Comment

Progression is whatever you want it to be...try new things, do something that's never been done before, go bigger, charge harder, or simply make it down your first green, blue, black, double black, etc. Have fun and keep riding! That and the hard work and dedication from Greco to keep delivering a quality product and a place that brings people together are the most important things to facilitating "progress". Greco is awesome to deal with from a business perspective, a true ambassador of not only his products, but also for skiboarding and the people who love it. Big props for fueling and supporting skiboarding and for being a top-notch legit business owner and individual. But you still don't have no pancake mix!

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I have watched this about ten times back to back. I cannot stop laughing.
                  I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

"Welcome to Coffee Talk. I'm your host, Linda Richmond. Today's topic, Thomas Jefferson and Revolution. Thomas Jefferson said, There should be a revolution every twenty years to keep things healthy, fresh, and fair. Skiboarding's pretty much at that two-decade mark… Now, talk amongst yourself. Ready, set, begin."
                    I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
                      "Welcome to Coffee Talk. I'm your host, Linda Richmond. Today's topic, Thomas Jefferson and Revolution. Thomas Jefferson said, There should be a revolution every twenty years to keep things healthy, fresh, and fair. Skiboarding's pretty much at that two-decade mark… Now, talk amongst yourself. Ready, set, begin."
                      So, what kind of revolution? Since this was posted in this thread, I would imagine something that would have to do with freestyle progression...but what kind of changes?
                      I Ski 4 Smitty.

Comment

Well, young Ethan, didn't you read the part that said, "talk amongst yourselves?" Didn't your teachers explain to you the importance of paying close attention to detail to comprehend and utilize in your own understanding the hows and whys and not just the whats? As being a quote from the brilliant mind of Thomas Jefferson, who indeed was brilliant not because he came up with it all on his own, but more took many varieties of great ideas from many great minds and organized them in a manner that related to the current situation he had at hand which indeed lends to a possible (Not necessarily desired or cared for by all. Purely through a minority's opinion of speculation.) revolution of what is being discussed. In the original post it was clearly stated, and missed if not carefully read, that while this is an opinion of speculation that there exists a desire to progress, to make change, and add (not take away) from what already exists. The American Revolution is one that borrowed ideas that already existed, modified them to a current state of mind and situation, and expanded to form a system built on subtle differences and change as well as what was believed to be prime ideas of the time. Even the most subtle changes can be radical if they veer from what is in place simply because of the fear of change and fighting the idea of "if it aint broke, don't fix it." So, if the question you have is what kind of change, wouldn't you think it was a question you may ask yourself and discover your own meaning before asking someone else? Change is not always planned. Sometimes, it just happens simply because… it is time.
                        I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

My understanding of these last several posts is that maybe it is time for skiboarding as a sport to take some of these ideas and take some of the structure and feeling of other sports and use that as a basis to forge ahead in a completely new direction. Which I feel like we have already started to do, Greco started to do this when he started Revel8 and decided to become a company that not only values its sponsored players, but values each person who participates in the sport just as much as any other person, recognizing that indeed everyone does come from different backgrounds and contribute in their own way to our forging ahead in a new direction. We have the foundation for something wonderful. Our foundation is Revel8 and SBOL, and this community. Greco has worked tirelessly to create this foundation, but it is not his responsibility to put the building on top of it, it is our responsibility. When I say "our responsibility" I mean the responsibility of every single individual rider, since we have already touched on the fact that skiboarding is so wonderful because of the individuality each person brings to it.

Too dramatic? I got emotional when writing this

Speaking in terms of progression and the original point of this thread, I feel like we have progressed past the point of being a baby sport and now this is a toddler, or a small child. As already said, maybe it's finally time for us to start becoming an individual, time to break away from mommy and daddy (skiing and snowboarding) because we are becoming our own sport. Does that mean new tricks? Does that mean new style? Does that mean new people? I'm not completely sure.
                          2016 Spliffs - Stiff Spliff Sticks!
                          2015 Blunt XLs - My go to All-Mountain All-Day boards
                          2014 Blunts - Short with Attitude
                          2013 KTPS - The Cambered Beasts
                          2012 Rockered Condors - The Big Pow Sticks
                          2002 Line MNP 98cm (Retired)
                          SnowJam 540 Softboot Bindings - My go to bindings
                          Original Rocker Softboot Bindings - For when my friends want to try
                          RVL8 Receptors - Red
                          Line FF Pros (Red - missing)
                          DC Status 2012 Softboot (Looking to Upgrade)
                          Nordica GTS6 Hardboot (Looking to Upgrade)

Comment

Well said when using the metaphor of growing from a baby to a toddler and letting go of mommy and daddy's hands. I really like the questions you stated because even without answers they are definitely something we should process. Realize, in my own perspective even as stated before, I do take influence from skating yet I still maintain the skier influence I have gained while living in Colorado. But, a direction of growth is certainly needed. I think this is the perfect time. We don't need popularity to decide where our sport grows. Rollerblading has made its largest striders in the post-X-games era. I think one of the best quotes to pull for the perspective we need to see comes from the OG dog tags I wear around my neck everyday. "…the renaissance has begun"
                            I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
                              We don't need popularity to decide where our sport grows. "…the renaissance has begun"
                              This
                              2016 Spliffs - Stiff Spliff Sticks!
                              2015 Blunt XLs - My go to All-Mountain All-Day boards
                              2014 Blunts - Short with Attitude
                              2013 KTPS - The Cambered Beasts
                              2012 Rockered Condors - The Big Pow Sticks
                              2002 Line MNP 98cm (Retired)
                              SnowJam 540 Softboot Bindings - My go to bindings
                              Original Rocker Softboot Bindings - For when my friends want to try
                              RVL8 Receptors - Red
                              Line FF Pros (Red - missing)
                              DC Status 2012 Softboot (Looking to Upgrade)
                              Nordica GTS6 Hardboot (Looking to Upgrade)

Comment

I find my skating having more and more of an impact as the days go on. Especially when I have a great session the night before hitting a park. I find not specifically a complete changeover from skating to skiboarding in technique, but more so an integration with skating into ski-style tricks and integrating that into my skiboarding with some new ideas developing that gear more towards the style of skiboarding I do which changes up things even more. What I like best about this is that I am not the only one. Matt Hein has gotten into this as well and I find us both pushing each other a lot on the slopes, but not in a competitive manner at all. In fact, I think we laugh more and have a lot of friendly trash talking going back in forth which not only is progressing both our skills even further, but making it more fun. The same thing happens with him and Brandon when they ride as well as Brandon and I when we are out there together more. The entire progression thing with all of us is really taking off and pushing us harder and faster than ever before. What do I love about this? It is influencing those around us. Yesterday, we rode with Brett Connor at Copper Mountain and it was one giant fun, trash talking, progressive day where we just kept pushing each other to try new things. And, when one person did they threw it in the face of someone else which caused them to laugh and go try and top it, fall, laugh, get back up, and stomp it the second try. Definitely a lot of fun. I think people often feel intimidated by progression because of the frustration factor. But, if you find a fun way to make it work you get the best of all aspects and everything seems to just fall into place. I am extremely stoked on how this season is going so far. Things did start great and I personally hit some frustration points for various reasons, but this weekend reassured me that great things are coming. Skiboarding, at least here in Colorado, has been making a huge impact and has an increasingly growing reputation as being something legit. There isn't a day of riding at one of the Colorado resorts that I don't have someone coming up to me saying they recognize Brandon and I from last season, and now Brandon, Matt, and I from this season "killing it on this sick snow blades." Big ups to skiboarding and the progression that is happening over here. And now with Brett in the picture it's going to be happening in the pow, on the urban terrain, and anywhere else we can make it happen.
                                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

Working...
                                X