Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, son. I rollerskated in the 80s. (and….cue rollerskating in the 70s comment)

Leave a comment:

• kirk
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post
    "Med Spin" and "Rollerblading."
    If you know this one, you definitely rollerbladed in the 90s....

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    Originally posted by Synn View Post
    Skiboards are so small you could do a ground trick right before hitting a rail, and flow into another trick after you get off.
    I am so glad you brought that up…

I brought that up in a previous thread about five months back that never brought up attention. It has been something that has been brewing up with me, due to my skating background, while riding and filming. Google "Med Spin" and "Rollerblading." That will point you in the direction I have been aiming in.

Leave a comment:

• Synn
    replied
    Hello guys. I'm a totally new skiboarder. Actually, I'm new to snow sports in general. My background is in Freestyle Slalom, and Parkour. I got into skiboarding after seeing amazing ground tricks. The possibility of owning a hill in style and flair was inspiring.

When I see snowboarders doing ground tricks its the same thing over and looks smooth. Sadly, they can't combo them.

Honestly that's what brought me to skiboarding, and what I believe skiboards can do better then any other equipment on the snow.

Coming from a parkour, and freestyle slalom background I've learned that Flow and Style is everything. Skiboards are so small you could do a ground trick right before hitting a rail, and flow into another trick after you get off.

Moves like Matt Hein's hand plant spin (what does he call it) looks awesome. I doubt it could be replicated on skis or boards as smoothly.

Skateboarders do one trick, then wind up for the next. Skiboarders can combo and flow.
    That's the advantage I've taken from the sport so far.

For example I was at Mt. Tremblant on a double black diamond hill, and instead of controlled typical zig-zags like all the skiers around me. I was spinning, and jumping in organized fashion that didn't look wild yet I was having way more fun as my mate was on his snowboard on his ass slowly siding down.

Maybe its our style of riding hills that needs to differ from the 'Mummy' and 'Daddy' of snow sports.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    NOW we're talking. No more shying away or finding reasons not to push ourselves. Progression will happen on its own, sure. But, it is from those who go out and actually attempt to make a difference that find great success, or fail trying and learn mistakes in order to be successful in the future. I have been discussing the backcountry progression with Brett a lot and am really excited to be apart of this. Brett is like our own personal Seth Morrison. Andrew has been really stoked on this as well and I am really excited to see it all play out. Matt, Brandon, and I have had the chance to ride with Brett and looks like things will be quite epic this season.

I would like to add a reminder that I don't discredit or look past progression of any form in any area of the sport. Personal progression is always there in all forms as well as how we conduct business and develop new products. Just be sure to pay attention to this entire thread, all the way to the beginning, where I specifically mentioned the intention of this discussion was based in the freestyle area. I do leak and lead this to backcountry as well.

My personal goal is to push the limits of park and BC riding while attempting to enter new areas unexplored are barely explored prior to the current skiboarding era.

Leave a comment:

• SkaFreak
    replied
    Originally posted by winterparkrider View Post
    I have a thought on this. I think all of us with our different styles have helped to progress this sport.From the guys out pushin it it the park to bring us some sick edits. To the consumers who give greco feedback so he can make improvments on the products he puts out and carries on sbol. And the select few who will venture into no-mans land in search of personal fulfillment. we have all in a small way helped this sport get to where it is today. where we go next is truely up to us. Me, Im headed into the backcountry this year to showcase big MT riding. Im not talking about shots in the woods I want the shots from 2000 ft above tree line. skiboarders hittin 50 -6o- even 70 mph down 50deg pitches with no turns. 40 ft cornice drops. things of that nature. We have only seen small snipets of what we can do away from resorts. I think I this year ( if we get some snow) Is the year. Thats how I plan to contribute to the next level of skiboardings progression.
    I'm with you on this. I have already been pushing myself a bit in this this season. Hopefully I will be able to help a bit.

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    Originally posted by winterparkrider View Post
    ...... Me, Im headed into the backcountry this year to showcase big MT riding. Im not talking about shots in the woods I want the shots from 2000 ft above tree line. skiboarders hittin 50 -6o- even 70 mph down 50deg pitches with no turns. 40 ft cornice drops. things of that nature. We have only seen small snipets of what we can do away from resorts. I think I this year ( if we get some snow) Is the year. Thats how I plan to contribute to the next level of skiboardings progression.
    All good , Brett ... just please be safe !

Leave a comment:

• winterparkrider
    replied
    I have a thought on this. I think all of us with our different styles have helped to progress this sport.From the guys out pushin it it the park to bring us some sick edits. To the consumers who give greco feedback so he can make improvments on the products he puts out and carries on sbol. And the select few who will venture into no-mans land in search of personal fulfillment. we have all in a small way helped this sport get to where it is today. where we go next is truely up to us. Me, Im headed into the backcountry this year to showcase big MT riding. Im not talking about shots in the woods I want the shots from 2000 ft above tree line. skiboarders hittin 50 -6o- even 70 mph down 50deg pitches with no turns. 40 ft cornice drops. things of that nature. We have only seen small snipets of what we can do away from resorts. I think I this year ( if we get some snow) Is the year. Thats how I plan to contribute to the next level of skiboardings progression.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    I find my skating having more and more of an impact as the days go on. Especially when I have a great session the night before hitting a park. I find not specifically a complete changeover from skating to skiboarding in technique, but more so an integration with skating into ski-style tricks and integrating that into my skiboarding with some new ideas developing that gear more towards the style of skiboarding I do which changes up things even more. What I like best about this is that I am not the only one. Matt Hein has gotten into this as well and I find us both pushing each other a lot on the slopes, but not in a competitive manner at all. In fact, I think we laugh more and have a lot of friendly trash talking going back in forth which not only is progressing both our skills even further, but making it more fun. The same thing happens with him and Brandon when they ride as well as Brandon and I when we are out there together more. The entire progression thing with all of us is really taking off and pushing us harder and faster than ever before. What do I love about this? It is influencing those around us. Yesterday, we rode with Brett Connor at Copper Mountain and it was one giant fun, trash talking, progressive day where we just kept pushing each other to try new things. And, when one person did they threw it in the face of someone else which caused them to laugh and go try and top it, fall, laugh, get back up, and stomp it the second try. Definitely a lot of fun. I think people often feel intimidated by progression because of the frustration factor. But, if you find a fun way to make it work you get the best of all aspects and everything seems to just fall into place. I am extremely stoked on how this season is going so far. Things did start great and I personally hit some frustration points for various reasons, but this weekend reassured me that great things are coming. Skiboarding, at least here in Colorado, has been making a huge impact and has an increasingly growing reputation as being something legit. There isn't a day of riding at one of the Colorado resorts that I don't have someone coming up to me saying they recognize Brandon and I from last season, and now Brandon, Matt, and I from this season "killing it on this sick snow blades." Big ups to skiboarding and the progression that is happening over here. And now with Brett in the picture it's going to be happening in the pow, on the urban terrain, and anywhere else we can make it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Gohammer92
    replied
    Originally posted by fourdown View Post
    We don't need popularity to decide where our sport grows. "…the renaissance has begun"
    This

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    Well said when using the metaphor of growing from a baby to a toddler and letting go of mommy and daddy's hands. I really like the questions you stated because even without answers they are definitely something we should process. Realize, in my own perspective even as stated before, I do take influence from skating yet I still maintain the skier influence I have gained while living in Colorado. But, a direction of growth is certainly needed. I think this is the perfect time. We don't need popularity to decide where our sport grows. Rollerblading has made its largest striders in the post-X-games era. I think one of the best quotes to pull for the perspective we need to see comes from the OG dog tags I wear around my neck everyday. "…the renaissance has begun"

Leave a comment:

• Gohammer92
    replied
    My understanding of these last several posts is that maybe it is time for skiboarding as a sport to take some of these ideas and take some of the structure and feeling of other sports and use that as a basis to forge ahead in a completely new direction. Which I feel like we have already started to do, Greco started to do this when he started Revel8 and decided to become a company that not only values its sponsored players, but values each person who participates in the sport just as much as any other person, recognizing that indeed everyone does come from different backgrounds and contribute in their own way to our forging ahead in a new direction. We have the foundation for something wonderful. Our foundation is Revel8 and SBOL, and this community. Greco has worked tirelessly to create this foundation, but it is not his responsibility to put the building on top of it, it is our responsibility. When I say "our responsibility" I mean the responsibility of every single individual rider, since we have already touched on the fact that skiboarding is so wonderful because of the individuality each person brings to it.

Too dramatic? I got emotional when writing this

Speaking in terms of progression and the original point of this thread, I feel like we have progressed past the point of being a baby sport and now this is a toddler, or a small child. As already said, maybe it's finally time for us to start becoming an individual, time to break away from mommy and daddy (skiing and snowboarding) because we are becoming our own sport. Does that mean new tricks? Does that mean new style? Does that mean new people? I'm not completely sure.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    Well, young Ethan, didn't you read the part that said, "talk amongst yourselves?" Didn't your teachers explain to you the importance of paying close attention to detail to comprehend and utilize in your own understanding the hows and whys and not just the whats? As being a quote from the brilliant mind of Thomas Jefferson, who indeed was brilliant not because he came up with it all on his own, but more took many varieties of great ideas from many great minds and organized them in a manner that related to the current situation he had at hand which indeed lends to a possible (Not necessarily desired or cared for by all. Purely through a minority's opinion of speculation.) revolution of what is being discussed. In the original post it was clearly stated, and missed if not carefully read, that while this is an opinion of speculation that there exists a desire to progress, to make change, and add (not take away) from what already exists. The American Revolution is one that borrowed ideas that already existed, modified them to a current state of mind and situation, and expanded to form a system built on subtle differences and change as well as what was believed to be prime ideas of the time. Even the most subtle changes can be radical if they veer from what is in place simply because of the fear of change and fighting the idea of "if it aint broke, don't fix it." So, if the question you have is what kind of change, wouldn't you think it was a question you may ask yourself and discover your own meaning before asking someone else? Change is not always planned. Sometimes, it just happens simply because… it is time.

Leave a comment:

• Ethan
    replied
    Originally posted by fourdown View Post
    "Welcome to Coffee Talk. I'm your host, Linda Richmond. Today's topic, Thomas Jefferson and Revolution. Thomas Jefferson said, There should be a revolution every twenty years to keep things healthy, fresh, and fair. Skiboarding's pretty much at that two-decade mark… Now, talk amongst yourself. Ready, set, begin."
    So, what kind of revolution? Since this was posted in this thread, I would imagine something that would have to do with freestyle progression...but what kind of changes?

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    "Welcome to Coffee Talk. I'm your host, Linda Richmond. Today's topic, Thomas Jefferson and Revolution. Thomas Jefferson said, There should be a revolution every twenty years to keep things healthy, fresh, and fair. Skiboarding's pretty much at that two-decade mark… Now, talk amongst yourself. Ready, set, begin."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X