Style Poll: Reverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style Poll: Reverts

A revert is when a rider lands one direction (most often backwards) and slides around back to a more desired direction (most often forward). In this video, it can be seen at 1:27.

I've seen professional ski edits where a rider's style is that he reverts immediately after landing. I've also seen many riders who are comfortable enough with trick selection and fakie riding to never revert.

I think there are a lot ways this could be argued. Excited to hear your ideas.
    Are good whenever used in a stylish manner.
    68.42%
    Are good only for learning.
    0.00%
    Are good on a typical day but should not be in edits.
    21.05%
    Should be avoided whenever possible.
    10.53%

www.sfc-usa.com

or like this:

Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

in single hit shots theyre completely pointless, but in continuous follow cam shots sometimes theyre necessary but take away from the flow and style of the video

Comment

who cares.... if you cant hit a feature fakie, dont force it, just turn around.
        facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

I'm pretty torn on this. I personally don't like them at all on a single hit, which is something I know that I need to work on. I spent a lot of last season trying to get away from the instinct that has been instilled in me from skating, where it is part of the norm. It looks much better to ride away from the single hit, regardless of the feature, fakie (or switch, for you SKIboarders haha). Also, on a jumpline it does look great to be able to link tricks together by landing something like a flat spin and follow it with a fakie/switch cork of some sort, etc… But, I will also agree somewhat with what Lynam says. It shouldn't be a prime concern, not right away anyway, if you can't follow up on a rail, jump, etc… with a fakie/switch trick. But, to remedy that I think riders should work on more fakie/switch tricks because it is something we definitely need to see more of. Maybe that could be a topic for the next poll, Tim?

So, in short it definitely looks better to ride out of a trick in the same direction it was landed and not revert. I personally am working on making the instinctual in my own riding to better the quality of product I put out and just my riding in general. I think for the higher end videos we shouldn't be seeing much of it at all unless it is part of the line or trick being done, i.e. skiers doing shifty buttered landings that come off like a revert or like what Jason put up in the video, a desired revert going into the trick (Joey does this a lot, too, if you haven't noticed, and it looks really dope).

Just for the record, if you look at the top of the drop in for that long box in Tim's video you can see Brandon Enouf and I That was the second weekend that Keystone was open last year on the Saturday.
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Davelynam View Post
            who cares.... if you cant hit a feature fakie, dont force it, just turn around.
            i could have hit it fakie, i just find it fun to hit features like that sometimes.
            Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
              i could have hit it fakie, i just find it fun to hit features like that sometimes.
              I like seeing riding straight.....revert to switch....then switch 270 on.

Comment

Originally posted by tyberesk View Post
                I like seeing riding straight.....revert to switch....then switch 270 on.
                So, by switch you mean unnatural, right? I mean, since a lot of these threads are talking about opinions on progressing the sport in style and in trick vocabulary, shouldn't we be working on the actual vocabulary as well? I mean, with skiboarding's original riders being rooted in blading and most of the original terms (names of grabs and such) rooted in blading, then shouldn't we be applying terms like switch to their actual meanings? :-) I am just as guilty as the rest of us for finding the wrong terms with definitions, but lets make skiboarding unique again, especially when we talk about it.

So, what you really meant is riding straight, reverting and riding fakie, then doing a fakie 270 on? Or, did you mean riding straight, reverting to an unnatural stance, and then doing an unnatural 270 on?

I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by jackschmid View Post
                  in single hit shots theyre completely pointless, but in continuous follow cam shots sometimes theyre necessary but take away from the flow and style of the video
                  What I notice a lot is that on single trick shots when a rider reverts Skiboarding edits have cut the landing short, and transitioned into the next shot quickly to hide it. I admit I snuck one into my edit. I don't really think this approach helps, you're trading the revert for a shot that makes your riding look a little sketch.

www.sfc-usa.com

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
                    So, by switch you mean unnatural, right? I mean, since a lot of these threads are talking about opinions on progressing the sport in style and in trick vocabulary, shouldn't we be working on the actual vocabulary as well? I mean, with skiboarding's original riders being rooted in blading and most of the original terms (names of grabs and such) rooted in blading, then shouldn't we be applying terms like switch to their actual meanings? :-) I am just as guilty as the rest of us for finding the wrong terms with definitions, but lets make skiboarding unique again, especially when we talk about it.

So, what you really meant is riding straight, reverting and riding fakie, then doing a fakie 270 on? Or, did you mean riding straight, reverting to an unnatural stance, and then doing an unnatural 270 on?

thats like telling a person with an accent to stop using it

Comment

Im a skiboarder so I agree with the terms.. riding regular - jumping to switch - switch 270 on.. just like skiing. That's the way I have always referred to it, riding/landing switch.
                      RVL8
                      \______^=======^______/
                      www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

Comment

Originally posted by Talon View Post
                        Im a skiboarder so I agree with the terms.. riding regular - jumping to switch - switch 270 on.. just like skiing. That's the way I have always referred to it, riding/landing switch.
                        Haha, I know. I just love to mess with Ty on things like that. I find myself using both terms interchangeably just because of my background and skating and my more recent introduction to ski culture.

Originally posted by jackschmid View Post
                        thats like telling a person with an accent to stop using it
                        Funny you say that because I hear more and more from people that just being submerged in living out west that my New York accent as faded quite a bit and only regains its strength when being back east for an extended amount of time. So, I guess it's more about existing within a place that uses terms more so than just attempting to change it.
                        I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

fakie is not a skiing term.

Unnatural is
                          Switch is

Riding regular.......revert to riding switch.....to SW270 on (either natural or unnatural)

i miss you davie wavey bloomy <3

Comment

We don't ski. And by we, I mean me. This is a skiboarding forum *wink wink*

I miss you Ty-my-shoes. Come to Colorado. Hurry, before I get bored and move somewhere else, haha.
                            I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

Unnatural is
                              Switch is

Riding regular.......revert to riding switch.....to SW270 on (either natural or unnatural)

I'm a skier and I always say fakie. I've never used the term switch for an unnatural spin though.

And I'm with Lynam on this one. Reverts really don't bother me much. Obviously in a slopestyle run it would be a point deduction, but they don't bother me in edits.
                              "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -WM

"I'M THE BEST SNOWLERBLADER ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X