Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milling custom touring risers, taking requests.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling custom touring risers, taking requests.

Hey all,

So I'm well underway designing and milling some custom skiboard risers for mounting some touring bindings onto.
    I don't see very many options on installing touring bindings onto skiboards so I thought I'd take this project on. I will probably sell these bindings

Before I commit to a certain riser design though, since It makes the most sense to build this riser for a specific brand of touring bindings, which touring binding shall I design this for? Can we all agree on a specific touring binding for us to design this riser around?

From what I understand, the Rvl8* and spruce risers are designed for the Tyrolia Attack bindings, I'll be doing a very similar thing but for a set of touring bindings.

So, which touring bindings am I designing this for?
    And would you mind sharing this post with anybody else who might have an opinion?
    Thinking of selling them for pretty much the cost of the materials/tooling.

Cheers.
    Good. and you?

1. Hi Kelmarit, Great project and very useful for skiboarders wanting to get into the backcountry. The biggest problem I see is the best RVL8 skiboards for backcountry use ie Condors, Rockered Condors ,Spliffs, Playmaker, Blunt Xl are all super wide and the Condors and Playmakers and Blunt Xl exceed the maximum width brakes available for any tech touring binding I could find which is 130mm. For this reason I think we should go with tech bindings that can be used with leashes or brakes up to the maximum of 130mm which would allow brakes to be chosen for whichever skiboards you want to use as well as leashes for those with the widest skiboards . I would recommend that your custom riser have holes to support the 4 x 4 as well as the 4 x10 pattern on Spruce and some RVL8 boards . Since all tech bindings are release bindings this should be fine with liability issues . Look at the hole pattern for the Spruce riser release bindings to see the proper hole pattern to fit 4x4 and 4x10 boards .
    Resources :
    Brakes https://skimo.co/atk-ski-brakes
    Skiboard widths https://skimo.co/atk-ski-brakes

My own recommendation would be to build your riser around the G3 Zed 12 binding which is an excellent tech binding with options for a full range of brakes up to 130 cm or to be used without brakes and with leashes instead.
    https://skimo.co/g3-zed-binding

ps if you look at the way the receptor non release and the Spruce release risers are built there needs to be a way to have a smaller footprint attached to the skiboard and the part of the riser supporting the front and back of the binding to be lifted off the board . Big issues with some of the more flexible skiboards have been the boards deflecting at the front and the back and the skiboards breaking over the front and back of risers.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Good idea. There's a bit of a local push for a carbon fibre touring plate in my area, but it's not too far along yet. Might be interested in a set of these plates if ours don't come through. Exchange, shipping and duty is starting to get a bit restrictive for me on US products, though.

Hey Jack, do the Zed and the ION use the same screw pattern for interchangeability? I've been eyeing the G3 ION 12 as an option, since the ability to take some abuse is more important than weight for me.

Interesting point on bindings and flex; I'm starting to wonder if it's the boards pressing up on my Receptors that causes me to bend plates. Any board breaks I've had are midway between the tail and back of the binding, though, and on standard (Canon or Receptor) bindings. Any custom solution would probably benefit from a rubber bushing pad like most bindings.

Brake options for wider boards would be great (although I think I'll *actually* use leashes in the backcountry rather than trust the brakes on the steep and deep stuff). I like that the G3s have a ready-made crampon option.

BOARDSLAYER
      Base / Edge Destruction X X X
      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post

Hey Jack, do the Zed and the ION use the same screw pattern for interchangeability? I've been eyeing the G3 ION 12 as an option, since the ability to take some abuse is more important than weight for me.

Yes the Zed and Ion use the same screw pattern , so I think a custom riser designed with that pattern would fit both g3 bindings.
        Here is screw pattern information for different bindings.
        https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns

Here is some info on the zed and comparison with the ion
        https://www.wildsnow.com/23680/g3-ze...view-look-new/

Improvements to Zed
        https://www.wildsnow.com/27236/g3-ze...n-tech-review/

ps I think the g3 ion 12 is excellent choice .
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Hey all,
          Thanks so much for the info provided.

This helps me so much.
          Sounds like the G3 Ion is going to be the best option here.
          I need to figure out a solution on the brakes.

We are about the CAD up a design here and get to milling.
          It seems like we can have a set of these made very very soon. Possibly within weeks.

Thinking of starting some kind of pre-order what do you all think?
          Good. and you?

Comment

What sort of numbers do you need for an initial production run? Snagged a cheap used pair of Ion 12s today so I'll be on-pattern. Was looking at burlier bindings on Jack's advice but the price was a fraction of new Shifts or Kingpins.
            BOARDSLAYER
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

What sort of numbers do you need for an initial production run? Snagged a cheap used pair of Ion 12s today so I'll be on-pattern. Was looking at burlier bindings on Jack's advice but the price was a fraction of new Shifts or Kingpins.
              My minimum is probably three?
              Ideally I would like to make 10 pairs at a time. But 3 is workable.

Nice! The 12 and 13s have the same mounting pattern I assume?
              Good. and you?

Comment

any chance you would be able to send me some measurements from those bindings? Or better yet is there any universe where you would be able to mail us the bindings for us to measure the holes from?

Good. and you?

Comment

Found a mounting template here:
                  https://www.wildsnow.com/12414/g3-io...crews-pattern/

Think I need to keep the bindings in hand for some further developments... Posted some ideas in Jack's modified Receptor thread.
                  BOARDSLAYER
                  Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

I would also be in possibly as well let me know what comes of this. I also run a G3 ZED.

Comment

I would be interested in getting some plates as well. I can source bindings locally, once I know which ones you decided on.

(I currently use Fritschi Tectons, directly mounted to Summit Invertigos)
                      Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                      Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                      Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
                      X