Personal rope tow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal rope tow

Have you guys seen this : https://www.zoaeng.com/ ?

Some testing videos have been published last year already: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCio...LRTqvjNzkvP8Ag
    Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Very cool. No more earning your turns.

Comment

I wonder how long the batteries last in cold temps?

I expect a test report from Jack in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I would have to convince my son to always carry this thing up the mountain , secure it , then ski down to me , give me the device to go up , !
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Good plan Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
            I wonder how long the batteries last in cold temps?
            I also wonder how it will cope with snow sticking on the rope, could it become a problem when it tows you back up ?!?
            Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
            Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
            Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Hmm, wonder if I could rig our big cordless hole hog from work to do the same thing? Wouldn't want that monster in my backpack, though!
              Mind you, the Zoa's 10 lbs, so it's probably not much worse.

The limitation would be the number of runs and the type of terrain that you're accessing. You need to skin up the first time, waste a run setting the rope, so after one run you haven't gained anything (except hauling a lot of extra gear). Since it's optimally designed for 15 degree slopes, by my standards you'd want to be getting hauled up a ridge or a gradual slope with a nice steep drop-off on the other side of the ridge. There's an area on my home hill that would work nicely with this (usually a short, steep bootpack to some wicked little chutes, but you could find a easier pitch down the ridge). Spare, swappable batteries would make it a bit more viable for sessioning the right slope.

Now, if you had an area where you could leave a permanent rope line, or a series of them, it could be a good way to speed up a long traverse in. Might be a great option for guided touring or access to a backcountry cabin, where you could ditch the unit and tour more interesting terrain. Still, it's a cool idea!
              BOARDSLAYER
              Base / Edge Destruction X X X
              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                Now, if you had an area where you could leave a permanent rope line, or a series of them, it could be a good way to speed up a long traverse in. Might be a great option for guided touring or access to a backcountry cabin, where you could ditch the unit and tour more interesting terrain. Still, it's a cool idea!
                That would be a great idea, if it would be possible to have the pulling rig slide somehow over the rope, allowing to keep it in place for the next run... This way you could hike in late autumn and lay some ropes and have them ready for when there's enough snow

Comment

Hehe, that sounds like cheating but it's a good idea. Might have to climb some trees depending on the expected snowfall, though!
                  BOARDSLAYER
                  Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                  Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                  X