Rubicon Peak -A Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubicon Peak -A Trip Report

Yesterday my son and I did a great backcountry trip up a classic peak in Tahoe called Rubicon Peak . Neither of us had done this peak before. My son planned the whole trip , looking up guide books and planning the route , and guiding us using GPS and maps.. It is a popular route and there were a number of skin tracks up the slope but it is hard to know which one to take and the day started overcast and cloudy and it was hard to see landmarks up hill. I was glad my son was guiding me and also waiting for me . I am feeling my age and he could have probably made it up to the peak in half the time I could at my plodding pace. The route starts at a end of the road parking spot at elev. 6900 feet and then goes up 2100 vertical feet to the summit. at elevation 9000 feet The route has great views of Tahoe and is a wonderful backcountry ski destination with moderate slopes with widely spaced old growth trees. At the very top of the peak there is an unusual pinnacle rock formation. My son scaled that peak in his ski boots while I waited and had lunch at the cold windy summit. The descent was nice in slushy junky soft snow . I was on my Rockered Condors with a custom Dynafit skiboard binding and my son was on Line Vision long skis with Marker kingpin M werks Tech bindings. I'll post some pictures in the next post and then some short videos of us riding. I'll end up with a post with some comments on my new skiboard rig.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Here are some pics.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

IMG_0031~2 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Here are some short videos of us descending in the moderately angled soft slushy snow.
      First me on my Rockered Condors

And then my son on his Line Visions
      Boards :
      Boots
      Bindings:

Comment

You will notice that my son's long skis float right on top of the snow and ride much higher and faster then my Rockered Condors which on these moderately angled slopes are slower and sink more.
        The steeper the slopes the more skiboards float higher in the snow and move faster . Folks often ask me why I ride skiboards rather then skis. I guess the reason is just the fun factor . I enjoy the short form factor both on climbing and descending and the very easy way the skiboards can turn in the junkiest of snow. My son is an accomplished skier and you have to run your skis faster to get them to turn easily and for me I enjoy running my skis slower and in control in difficult backcountry terrain and turn with ease with my slower reflexes , ha , ha .
        A word on my skiboard rig . I have cobbled together a real garage shop Frankenstein binding based on left over spare parts. I am really proud of this experimental binding and it worked like a charm.
        The details of this binding are in this link
        https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...d-tech-binding

It combines an old Dynafit toe piece savalged from a pair of my long skis, a RVL8 receptor base plate, RVL8 receptor toe piece , a front bale from a Line FF pro binding , a telemark heel lever,
        a splitboard heel elevator , and some pieces of HDPE plastic blocks !
        Climbing was wonderful on this rig , effortless with Free pivot Dynafit toe piece. Transitioning to descent was easy . Just click in the toe of your boot into the Dynafit toe piece and then reach back and snap on the telemark heel lever and you are locked and loaded. The rig felt just like a traditional non release skiboard binding going downhill.
        I wanted to give a shout out to the folks who made the Skeats mini crampons. That is the thing strapped on to the front of my skiboard with the green straps .
        http://www.skincleats.com/
        These things are really an important added inexpensive part of the backcountry kit for skiboarders. We need some added traction besides our climbing skis on steep icy skin tracks because we just don't have the amount of skin surface area on the snow as skiers on long skis. Adding these little guys for the climb up made me feel real secure on steeper , icy skin tracks !
        Boards :
        Boots
        Bindings:

Comment

Proud of you for that garage job on the bindings Jack. Great job and after my own heart...
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
            You will notice that my son's long skis float right on top of the snow and ride much higher and faster then my Rockered Condors which on these moderately angled slopes are slower and sink more.
            The steeper the slopes the more skiboards float higher in the snow and move faster . Folks often ask me why I ride skiboards rather then skis. I guess the reason is just the fun factor . I enjoy the short form factor both on climbing and descending and the very easy way the skiboards can turn in the junkiest of snow. My son is an accomplished skier and you have to run your skis faster to get them to turn easily and for me I enjoy running my skis slower and in control in difficult backcountry terrain and turn with ease with my slower reflexes , ha , ha .
            Exactly that - more control.

Also the RCs will run slower due to the forward snow impact being higher on a wide tip.

I wanted to give a shout out to the folks who made the Skeats mini crampons. That is the thing strapped on to the front of my skiboard with the green straps .
            http://www.skincleats.com/
            These things are really an important added inexpensive part of the backcountry kit for skiboarders. We need some added traction besides are climbing skis on steep icy skin tracks because we just don't have the amount of skin surface area on the snow as skiers on long skis. Adding these little guys for the climb up made me feel real secure on steeper , icy skin tracks !
            Which size did you buy? 105mm? These look like really useful tools especially when experimenting with new setups.

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
            Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
            Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

Which size did you buy? 105mm? These look like really useful tools especially when experimenting with new setups.
              Yes 105mm,. It is real cool that you can put them on in front of your binding without getting out of the binding . I strapped them on as I began to slip on the skin track , just lay them in the snow and pull the strap tight . Immediate increase in traction over skins alone !.
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Nice terrain and views!

Hmm, those Skeats look like a good addition to the touring setup (those glide fins look cool too), and the price is actually reasonable.
                BOARDSLAYER
                Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Yes 105mm,. It is real cool that you can put them on in front of your binding without getting out of the binding . I strapped them on as I began to slip on the skin track , just lay them in the snow and pull the strap tight . Immediate increase in traction over skins alone !.
                  Took the plunge and ordered two pairs.
                  Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                  Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                  Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
                  X