This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RVL8 Receptor Touring Binding

edited 1/1/2021: Please read through this whole thread . This binding adaption is a work in progress and has been refined a number of times. The main principle of using the voile strap and the telemark cables on the front piece of the Receptor is effective and works well . I have been working on a variety of different ways to provide a heel lifter which are detailed in the ensuing posts. I have also discussed using a less expensive and yet equally effective telemark cable in the posts that follow. Here is a picture of my current recommended set up. The crampon receiver is set up forward of the toe in this picture but it can also be set up underneath the boot depending on the length of your boot and whether you want set back or not..
    IMG_20210117_095228942 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Below is my original post.

I have come up with an easy way to modify the RVL8 receptor binding to allow touring in the backcountry.
    Anyone can use their Receptor binding to tour on any RVL8 skiboard by purchasing these commercially available supplies.
    2 long Voile plastic straps
    2 Voile Telemark cables
    2 Two inch tall pieces of pvc pipe drilled with a hole on either side to pull elastic cord through
    two pieces of elastic cord
    Climbing skins
    A pair of Skeats strap on mini crampons.

Here is a picture of the binding in touring mode with heel elevator engaged
    IMG_20201226_082219798 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Ok here is how to get into the binding in touring mode
    you simply attach the hooks of the telemark cables to the front bale of the Receptor binding. I put some duct tape permanently near where the bale bends into the foot plate to keep the telemark cables from shifting when I am getting into the binding.
    I lay the voile strap just behind the foot receptor foot plate and then attach the regular front bale and rear telemark cable to my boot.
    IMG_20201226_082304627 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

IMG_20201226_083029075 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

I then pull the strap around my boot and around the front bale and tighten the voile strap. This is really what makes this system work because it keeps the front lever
    from snapping open on climbing which happened on previous iterations of this binding.
    IMG_20201226_083056632 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

The plastic 2 inch pvc pipe is attached to the rear bale by a bungee cord . ( I didn't have a piece of pvc pipe for this photo essay so just used a roll of tape to illustrate )
    IMG_20201226_082338564 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

To deploy the pvc pipe for climbing just swing it in front of the rear heel piece of the receptor binding
    IMG_20201226_082353388 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

IMG_20201226_083120491 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    You put on skins and use a skeets mini crampon strapped on if you need to use crampons on icy climbs.
    IMG_20201226_083713736 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

IMG_20201226_083723507 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

At the top of the climb remove skins , crampons if used, voile strap and telemark cables and put in your pack..
    Then just click in as usual and you are ready to shred The climbing pvc pipe heel elevator just stays attached to heel bale.

IMG_20201226_083220008 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

I am very confident this touring modification will work and am looking forward to trying it out !!!
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Very cool mod. Simple and functional, interested to see how it goes in real life. Also if those boards should ever become available...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got as far as picking up a shovel, beacon & probe this year... so touring is getting closer to reality. Need to take an avalanche course ASAP.

As for bindings, I haven't started looking at mods yet. My dream upgrade to the Receptors would be a drillable toe and heel blank that could be swapped out for the existing toe and heel pieces. Same general material & system as the existing pieces, but larger and without the bails.

BOARDSLAYER
      Base / Edge Destruction X X X
      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
        I got as far as picking up a shovel, beacon & probe this year... so touring is getting closer to reality. Need to take an avalanche course ASAP.

As for bindings, I haven't started looking at mods yet. My dream upgrade to the Receptors would be a drillable toe and heel blank that could be swapped out for the existing toe and heel pieces. Same general material & system as the existing pieces, but larger and without the bails.
        Yes Steeps I agree !, the dream modification would be a custom heel and toe piece that could be drilled for Tech bindings. The problem is that would be a significant custom job , those pieces would have to be milled on the bottom to fit the receptor base binding teeth. My goal in both the soft boot binding mods and the current Receptor mods is to provide easy ways for folks to use their existing set ups to get out touring ..
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

For even more security on icy traverses, it is simple to fashion a ski crampon mount on the Receptor binding as illustrated in the post linked below.. You will see that the current touring modification using the Voile strap solves the previous problem with the front lever popping open unexpectedly. Also you willl notice in my first iteration of this modification I used cheaper spring telemark cables that have a side tensioning clip . I moved on to the hardwire cartridge telemark cables as they provide more support of the boot on climbing traverses. You will also see that the current modification with the Voile strap will allow this modification to be used on any older non release skiboard bindings including Bombers and Line FFpros.
          https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...t-tour-binding
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post

Yes Steeps I agree !, the dream modification would be a custom heel and toe piece that could be drilled for Tech bindings. The problem is that would be a significant custom job , those pieces would have to be milled on the bottom to fit the receptor base binding teeth. My goal in both the soft boot binding mods and the current Receptor mods is to provide easy ways for folks to use their existing set ups to get out touring ..
            I admire your approach... make it simple, use what you've got, and get out and play!

I think someone around here has experimented with HDPE risers for custom mounts; it had crossed my mind that HDPE could probably be melted with a hot Receptor plate to match the grooving on the plate to do custom toe/heel pieces. Not sure I'd trust it in terms of strength, though.
            BOARDSLAYER
            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Out for first test on short tour in backcountry, binding works great, . Important to adjust telemark cables so they have a firm snap on heel, can't be loose. Voile strap is great and forms a nice firm attachment at toe and keeps lever firmly against boot. Kept everything together on sidehill in firm snow

Heel elevator unfortunately doesn't work ,falls down on climbing and kicks up unexpectedly when striding. I will have to think about another solution for heel elevator. I have some ideas to test out.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Came up with a better way to use pvc pipe heel elevators. Pictures in next post. Carry pvc pipe parts in pocket. Install a crampon stabilizer on your receptor base. I'm using a machine screw , fender washer, and wingnut, . This stabilize the pvc pipe front to back because pipe sits between wingnut and receptor heel piece ,side to side by wingnut, and on top by your boot
                Will test on snow.

Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

Here are pics.

Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

My R and D continues!
                    Another cheaper telemark cable from Voile is their side tensioning spring cable. When I tried this years ago I didn't like it as much as the pricer hardwire cartridge cables but now I think with the way we are tightening around the boot and front lever with the Voile strap that this may work fine. One bonus is that for 60 dollars you can buy a pair with a plastic heel part and for 10 dollars more a pair of climbing wires that can probably be attached to the receptor base. I have bought a pair of the heel pieces and climbing wires and will experiment with attaching to the receptor base. Pictures of this telemark cable in next post.

Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Pictures of side tensioning telemark cable

https://www.voile.com/voile-sidethro...ring-unit.html
                      https://www.voile.com/voile-3-pin-ca...ing-wires.html

Boards :
                      Boots
                      Bindings:

Comment

Ok, I am really excited . Here is a game changer for touring . I purchased a Voile Dual Height Splitboard heel elevator for 36 dollars for a pair .
                        I will post pictures in the next post .
                        I will only use the lower of the climbing bales. You could use the higher bale instead . You have to choose which one you want because the heel piece of the Receptor interferes with attaching both bales.
                        I attach the heel elevator to the Receptor base plate using 25mm M6 screws and M6 Flange nuts which fit the opening in the bottom of the base plate . Basically I am attaching the heel elevator exactly like the heel plate is connected to the base plate with two screws .
                        You have to orient the heel elevator the opposite direction it normally tells you in the included instrucions, the rear of the heel elevator piece is toward the front of the skiboard.
                        It works great.
                        I think I am tending to use the Tensioning spring cables with side throw rather than the pricier Hardwire cables because they are so much lighter to carry.
                        ps you need to move your heel piece the farthest to the back as possible on the Receptor plate to give you enough room to attach the heel elevator.
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Here are pics

Boards :
                          Boots
                          Bindings:

Comment

Completed assembly

Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

Unlike the Hardwire cables, the tension spring cables can be slipped over the heel bale and left in place for the descent. The front hooks will not come loose because the locked in boot presses down on them.

Boards :
                              Boots
                              Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                              X