Blunt Xl Backcountry Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunt Xl Backcountry Set Up

Here are some pictures of my Blunt XL Backcountry set up I will be using this coming season.
    Features are
    Custom metal riser for Fritschi binding by Bill on the forum.
    Riser has integrated crampon holder.
    Fritschi Explore Alpine touring binding.
    Climbing Skins
    Crampons from B and D ski gear
    Dynafit CR radical alpine touring boots.
    Now just need snow.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Why XLs?
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      Why XLs?
      This crazy year has been getting me thinking alot about what I enjoy about skiboarding . I think skiboarding really is super involving , you are in the moment all the time , and away from any other concerns or worries something we all need this year . I haven't really gone all out with the Blunt Xl both at the resort and the backcountry combined. I really like the XL because of how fun it is . Other boards maybe more competent overall but the fun factor is a big part of going with a shorter more manueverable board like the XL and it will be challenging to focus on it as primary board this year both at the resort and in the backcountry and see how it goes.
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post

This crazy year has been getting me thinking alot about what I enjoy about skiboarding . I think skiboarding really is super involving , you are in the moment all the time , and away from any other concerns or worries something we all need this year . I haven't really gone all out with the Blunt Xl both at the resort and the backcountry combined. I really like the XL because of how fun it is . Other boards maybe more competent overall but the fun factor is a big part of going with a shorter more manueverable board like the XL and it will be challenging to focus on it as primary board this year both at the resort and in the backcountry and see how it goes.
        Good answer.

I've spent a lot of time inline skating the past three or so months. It has given me a re-birthed appreciation for short and maneuverable.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Interesting, let us know how the full rocker goes on the uphill, I hear on harder snow its not ideal cause less contact. Although the trade off for the downhill in powder might be well worth it.
          Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
            Interesting, let us know how the full rocker goes on the uphill, I hear on harder snow its not ideal cause less contact. Although the trade off for the downhill in powder might be well worth it.
            Yes, width and full rocker can in firm snow make climbing traverses more difficult than in narrower and less rockered. skiboards. This problem is cured by having a good ski crampon set up and using it earlier when the going gets difficult. The custom riser that Bill designed has a nice built in fixed crampon receiver.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

Love the XL’s. They are my go to. Looking forward to hearing your backcountry tales Jack!
              64 CM Bigfoot’s
              100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
              110 CM Rockered Condors
              130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

What is a touring boot? How's it different?
                Would a a bigger board like a Sherpa (my favorite board) be too big or heavy for uphill skiing?

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                  What is a touring boot? How's it different?
                  Would a a bigger board like a Sherpa (my favorite board) be too big or heavy for uphill skiing?
                  Hi Shortydude, Touring boots are very similar to downhill ski boots but have a rockered vibram sole for better hiking when carrying skis . They also in general tend to be lighter and have a better walk mode to release the cuff for skinning. They also have special inserts for "tech" Backcountry bindings. Downside is they are usually more expensive than regular ski boots and cannot be used in regular ski bindings but require special alpine touring bindings
                  The Sherpa is a great backcountry skiboard but requires a custom riser set up for a touring binding. Jeff Singer at Spruce does a custom two plate binding set up for touring bindings. The set up I am using is not commercially available.

Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

Ps regular ski boots can be used in"frame touring bindings" like the Tyrolia Adrenaline touring bindings that Jeff Singer is using on his custom Sherpa or Osprey backcountry setups.

Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Do touring bindings have a fall release?
                      Has anyone adapted a snowboard boot binding onto a boot sole riser that fits a release/touring binding?

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                        Do touring bindings have a fall release?
                        Has anyone adapted a snowboard boot binding onto a boot sole riser that fits a release/touring binding?
                        Yes , Alpine touring bindings all have release settings similar to regular downhill bindings.
                        yes , on the snowboard boot binding fiting into a release or frame touring bindiing .
                        https://www.envysnowsports.com/

I bought an Envy set up but didn't like it because the whole thing with snowboard boot and frame was heavier then a regular downhill ski boot!
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

jjue, thanks. that Envy rig looks interesting. I got a pair of the new wood looking Sherpa's (like the graphics) and I'd like to try some different configurations with my old Sherpa's. I have a pair of Vann's single BOA snowboard boots and would like to try these Envy bindings. I'm thinking skins/Sherpa's/touring bindings/crampons/Envy bindings/snowboard boots. There may need to be another plate in there under the touring binding, not sure on that.

If you still have those Envy bindings, I'd be interested in buying them. I take a size large (website says they come in medium and large).

Comment

Shortydude, Sorry already gave away my Envy rig,l. Envy rig would snap into a frame touring binding, but the combined rig would be pretty heavy and heavier then just using a regular downhill boot in touring binding, I would not recommend directly drilling a Sherpa with a touring binding. The core is not intended to support drilled bindings. Need some sort of plate for bindindings with plate inserted into board with inserts. Jeff Singer can talk to you about it.

Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

jjue, I appreciate all the help, thanks.
                              I found these skins, which seem almost reasonable. What's your opinion of them? I'm unsure about the small size may be too large for Sherpa. I couldn't find any skins for Sherpa's here at SBOL. Where can I find skins for Sherpa's?
                              https://www.levelninesports.com/leve...touring-skins/

Comment

Working...
                              X