Social distancing in the Backcountry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social distancing in the Backcountry

During the Covid 19 lockdown in California, backcountry skiing is still allowed as long as it is done with household members and you are 6 feet away from any other riders.
    I was using my 160 cm Icelantic Shamans instead of skiboards for some more float after recent big storms. Nice to get out while still avoiding others as much as possible! My son took all the pics including his selfie. Nice to have my son lead his old geezer dad into the backcountry and keeping dad safe

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Here are pics from our trip today! Beautiful day.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

You boy's are looking good!
      rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
      ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

very nice pictures. Looks like a great day to break out the long skis and let her rip. It is different seeing you on those long skis.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-22 Jason Roussel ( jeysun_r) • Instagram photos and videos.png
Views:	130
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	262322

Been touring up the microwave tower access road on Whistler, starts a 5min walk from my house. Option to ski trees, back down the road, or a few mountain bike trails, with an exit down a Fire Service Road.
          Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Very cool Roussel!, Getting out in the quiet snowy backcountry is the perfect contrast to the very strange and scary time the whole world is facing right now!
            Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

Name:	90258134_10163781856635389_5413848015100182528_o.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	262333

Name:	90187233_10163781856610389_1370491461056856064_o.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	262334

Name:	90049637_10163781856620389_745855237415239680_o.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	262335
              Today I went up Sproatt Mountain to socially distance myself. up a hiking trail behing my place to do a few laps in this pillow field. Trail goes all the way to the alpine but did a short trip today.

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Niice... wish I had made the jump to a touring setup this season.
                BOARDSLAYER
                Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                  Niice... wish I had made the jump to a touring setup this season.
                  Not too late! All you need to get started is snowshoes and poles!

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Well, I've done the ski-boots-in-the-backpack route before, it's not a terrible way to get out and ride. I've got the snowshoes, and don't really need the poles anyways (for snowshoeing, I'd use them to skin). I would like to get a proper lightweight touring setup together, and it's mostly the boots that I'm balking at (expensive, hard to find a good used fit, etc).

Avalanche training, probe, beacon are the bigger gap here... especially training and experience. I know lots of people who tour, so I could always borrow some gear. The backcountry in the Rockies is spectacular but deadly. Avalanche forecasting and control is shutting down in a couple of days, so it's not a great time to be learning. Some of the local mountain bike trails are looking tempting and still have snow, though, they could be fun.

I'll be able to catch the 7 on Mount 7 in a couple of months (see avatar photo), it's an hour and a half hike in for 30 seconds of riding, but a local classic in early June. : )

BOARDSLAYER
                    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Ya avalanche canada has shut down forecasting, making me really conservative in my choices here in Whistler. Got lots of snow coming over the next week at +1000m elevation.

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Roussel, what backpack are you using that allows you to a-frame carry the Spliffs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

171cm/190lbs
                        Current Favorites:
                        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                        Other boards I'm trying:
                        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                          Roussel, what backpack are you using that allows you to a-frame carry the Spliffs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                          kingcamp Speed 25, just a thrift store find.

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Start of new ski season , covid still with us and still social distancing. My son and I drove up together and met my friend Michael at the sno park and we joined up for our first backcountry ski trip .
                            Thanks to my son for taking the pictures . I was on Rockered Condors, Michael on Icelantic Scouts and my son Jordan on Spruce Ospreys.
                            juejordan_125265598_279250843520517_66559414785234 9905_n by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

juejordan_125203614_206887640952005_25563590705115 61590_n by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

juejordan_125487284_709684366338351_48321003907126 66056_n by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

juejordan_125858026_176504164099302_15572093967061 31648_n by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

juejordan_125508401_160189665668546_53493892412680 44928_n by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Michael's trail map of today's backcountry outing ..michael's map by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

ps . I hadn't been on the Rockered Condors for some time and really enjoyed them both climbing and descending ! I had been on the Blunt Xls a few days ago on a solo trip and they both are similar type zero cambered rockered boards but the RC's definitely have more float and are faster especially on low angled terrain.
                            Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                            X