Spruce Slingshots Backcountry Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spruce Slingshots Backcountry Review

I had a great opportunity yesterday to torture test the Spruce Slingshots yesterday in the backcountry and wanted to review it's performance and compare it to other Spruce boards.
    We were having too much fun to stop for pictures or videos yesterday. So I will repost a few from my previous general review with additional comments about backcountry use.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

There have been a variety of solutions for mounting backcountry bindings on Spruce boards over the years. Here is a picture of my Sherpa mounted on the set back inserts with the very first prototype inverted tray riser for Fritschi bindings designed by Jeff Singer. I had to add a drilled mount for crampons ahead of the riser. My Slingshots are center mounted with a custom riser designed by Bill here on the forum which has it's own crampon mount.

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

The most recent backcountry solution designed by Jeff Singer has the Tyrolia ambition backcountry binding mounted on two low profile binding plates directly on the board using through the bottom special inserts . Ysb33r has that set up on his Ospreys and my friend Jeff M. has that set up on his Sherpas . You do have to decide if you want center mount or rear mounted as you cannot move the binding once it is set up . Here is Ysb33r 's nice post with a picture of his Osprey touring set up . This setup has an integral crampon attachment on the binding . I think this is the way to go if you want a touring setup on a Spruce board and requires a custom mount by Jeff Singer.
      https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...preys-unpacked
      Boards :
      Boots
      Bindings:

Comment

Ok on to the review of the Slingshots. One of the cool things about the Slingshots is that it can be ridden in the backcountry center mounted. This is an advantage when climbing in soft snow as the rear of the binding does not sink as much as rear mounted skiboards. I have found that I need to rear mount Sherpas and Crossbows for them to work in difficult crusty backcountry conditions and in variable deep pow. The only other Spruce board that I have found works well center mount in the backcountry are the Ospreys . A significant advantage of the Slingshots over the Ospreys and the Sherpas is that the tip is not as wide and the tail is narrower and straighter . This really helps on climbing traverses in more firm conditions as there is less tendency for the board to slide out and there is more edge control in difficult traverses. Also as the board is not as wide as the Ospreys and the Sherpa it is easier to follow skiers with less wide skis in traverses in powder. The Sherpa and the Ospreys have more float in backcountry snow but the Slingshots are more nimble and the shorter length makes them really nice and nimble to climb with as well . Compared to a rear mounted or a center mounted Osprey the Slingshots are way more controllable in difficulty breakable crusty backcountry snow . The way the tails sink in that kind of nasty snow allows for a real controllable ride . Yesterday they were super on both the uphill and the downhill in crusty difficult backcountry snow turning the descent in the nasty stuff into enjoyable "Slingshot Pow" . Overall , these are now my favorite backcountry rig!
        Here are a couple of videos from earlier in the year in backcountry snow.

Boards :
        Boots
        Bindings:

Comment

Looking good!
          rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
          ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Very cool! You guys are hardcore

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
              There have been a variety of solutions for mounting backcountry bindings on Spruce boards over the years. Here is a picture of my Sherpa mounted on the set back inserts with the very first prototype inverted tray riser for Fritschi bindings designed by Jeff Singer. I had to add a drilled mount for crampons ahead of the riser. My Slingshots are center mounted with a custom riser designed by Bill here on the forum which has it's own crampon mount.

Jack,
              I have that same shop set up... I use the 2 paint can method as well...lol
              Skis/Skiboards:
              2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
              2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
              2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
              2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
              20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
              2012 Salomon SPK 90
              2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
              2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                The most recent backcountry solution designed by Jeff Singer has the Tyrolia ambition backcountry binding mounted on two low profile binding plates directly on the board using through the bottom special inserts . Ysb33r has that set up on his Ospreys and my friend Jeff M. has that set up on his Sherpas . You do have to decide if you want center mount or rear mounted as you cannot move the binding once it is set up . Here is Ysb33r 's nice post with a picture of his Osprey touring set up . This setup has an integral crampon attachment on the binding . I think this is the way to go if you want a touring setup on a Spruce board and requires a custom mount by Jeff Singer.
                https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...preys-unpacked
                The issue with this setup as confirmed by Jeff M & Jack is the position of the crampon. This is not a skiboarding issue, but in the design on the Tyrolia binding. The crampon moves along with the heel lift, so does not always get the required bite into icy slopes. This is especially noticeable when using the heel set to the highest position.

ONe more comment about the Osprey itself in touring conditions is that it gets less touch points on traverses as compared to a typical touring ski. Thisis very noticable on icy slopes and hard snow when trying to follow someone on narrow touring skis. Trying to keep the Osprey base flat on an angle can be tiring. Crampon usage are also less effective due to the afore mentioned issue.
                Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

I have installed fixed crampons by drilling the board and using a voile crampon . In the picture above you can see I installed a fixed crampon mount in front of my riser mounted Fritschi binding on my Sherpa . The custom Fritschi riser designed by Bill has integral fixed crampon mount. Here is some information about Voile Crampon mounts.

ps with twin tip type skiboards there is a problem with less contact on icy traverses for sure . The new Slingshot is unique in that there is a straight tail and there is more of a ski like straight edge on the slope for icy traverses. It is also narrower then the Osprey and Sherpa that also help for climbing traverses.
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

Pulled the trigger and ordered them. Hoping that the local ski shop will be able to do a good in drilling the Ospreys.
                    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
                    X