June Skiboarding at Closed Ski Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June Skiboarding at Closed Ski Area

Great day solo climbing and skiboarding today at Alpine Meadows which has been closed since May 19. Mega snow year and there is still great coverage . Squaw next door is still open for lift serve on weekends in June Friday through Sunday .. This month you can get lift tickets for 5 dollars on Fridays if you buy them 48 hours ahead of time which is a super deal . Squaw will open all the way until July 7th . Mammoth down south a bit has announced they will stay open for lift serve until August!! But I really enjoy the quiet and the adventure of just climbing up and skiing down without all the people !
    Spliffs are great for going up and down! Using the backcountry modified receptor binding that Slow invented. Works great!
    IMG_20190603_101218498_2
    IMG_20190603_113917704_HDR_4
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Nice! Looks like you had a beautiful day out there.

I'd find it tough to turn down a $5 lift ticket... I'm already counting the days until next season.

The 7 is almost melted out here, so I'll be doing that mission in the next few weeks. Not really the same thing, as it's an hour and a half of dirt hiking for a 30 second (at best) snow section, but it's a bit of a local tradition. The old timers say it doesn't count unless you do it naked, but I haven't gone that far yet. It's breezy up there!
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

That looks like a great adventure
      Skis/Skiboards:
      2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
      2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
      2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
      2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
      20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
      2012 Salomon SPK 90
      2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

What's under the sinkhole in pic #3?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        171cm/190lbs
        Current Favorites:
        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
        Other boards I'm trying:
        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
          What's under the sinkhole in pic #3?

It 's a big low spot in the ground , as the snow melts over it it collapses , happens every spring that I am up there , during the winter not obvious. .
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Was up there again today. A week of hot weather makes the sink hole look like this

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
            Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

[emoji848]

171cm/190lbs
              Current Favorites:
              Other boards I'm trying:

Comment

[emoji848]

Not obvious from the picture is that there are multiple streams running underneath the packed snow that come down the mountain and converge in this depression undercutting the snow and causing it to collapse . If you stand above the hole you can see all kinds of streamlets running out from underneath the snow and coverging in this area and then continuing down the hill underneath the snow .Late in the season like this it is weird to ride on top of the snow and hear rushing water beneath you . If you are not careful you can fall right through rotten warm snow right into the stream beneath....
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

I noticed the same thing happening at Ashland a week ago. Only it was a trickle under about 4-6" of snow, not streams under the massive amount it looks like you all still have. How much longer do you reckon it will be worth getting out on, Jack?

171cm/190lbs
                  Current Favorites:
                  Other boards I'm trying:

Comment

I noticed the same thing happening at Ashland a week ago. Only it was a trickle under about 4-6" of snow, not streams under the massive amount it looks like you all still have. How much longer do you reckon it will be worth getting out on, Jack?

There is still plenty of snow to last into July, problem is snow is getting badly sun cupped from the hot sun causing a very bumpy ride! In the foreground of the picture above you can see how bumpy it is!
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                    X