Late April Pow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late April Pow

Today was one of those magical days .... in a drought season .... a last blast of winter dropped a couple of feet of heavy wet pow over Sugarbowl ski area over the last 24 hours ... Sugarbowl closed for the season 1 wk ago , but they allow uphill use of the resort before during and after the resort closes.... Lots of folks were up today to climb the fresh pow ... the pow was very challenging to ride very deep and very heavy ... I started out on center mount Sherpa for our first descent and then reset to the rear inserts for the second descent ... absolutely fantastic and a world of difference in ease of riding the heavy snow .. The new Spruce AT riser /Ambition binding performed flawlessly ... Joining me today were my son Jordan on a splitboard ( split Snowboard .. splits into skis for climb and then goes back together to form a snowboard for descent , Michael on Icelantic Scout with Fritschi AT bindings direct mounted, and Jeff on Spruce Sherpa direct mounted (center position ) with Fritschi AT bindings. ...
    For the riders who joined me on the adventure tour at Sugarbowl during Shredfest , the last descent is through the middle Sister Chute , deep pow this time ....
    http://youtu.be/lT1UH1nmthU
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Great video. The Sisters look much nicer covered in powder!

Out of interest. There is some validity to the origins of skiboarding coming from mountaineers using Firn Gliders to get down glaciers. I presume the fun for them was getting to the top, and short skis was just an easy way of getting down. The idea being to have a short, lightweight ski that was easy to pack up and would then attach to climbing boots for the trip down. At what point did people want to convert ski equipment to make the ascent?

On a day like today at Sugarbowl, would it not be easier to snowshoe up and carry your skiboards?
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
      Great video. The Sisters look much nicer covered in powder!

Out of interest. There is some validity to the origins of skiboarding coming from mountaineers using Firn Gliders to get down glaciers. I presume the fun for them was getting to the top, and short skis was just an easy way of getting down. The idea being to have a short, lightweight ski that was easy to pack up and would then attach to climbing boots for the trip down. At what point did people want to convert ski equipment to make the ascent?

On a day like today at Sugarbowl, would it not be easier to snowshoe up and carry your skiboards?
      Skis have been used since viking times for travel , and seal skins have been used for climbing for centuries .. but most of this was just for travel , climbing with skins and then recreational descent has been big since late 19th century and throughout the 20th century ..

skis with skins , and skiboards with skins are way more efficient for climbing then snowshoes , no one was using snowshoes today , everyone was on skins with skis , even the snowboarders were on splitboards .... basically the reason is that you do no lift your ski up but have a free pivot and just slide the ski forward which is more efficient then lifting up your foot with a snowshoe and you do not have the weight of the skiboards.skis/snowboards on your back .. ...
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Thanks for the info Jack. I have a sister in law who loves to snowshoe and skiboard, but I don't think she has ever combined the two. She is a fitness fanatic who competes in all kinds of endurance events, including triathlons. I just wondered if shoeing up and sliding down was still something people did.

It took me a while to find it, but this review is from a guy trying to make 5th Element LK Pros work with his mountain boots. I don't think he liked the results. It's amazing how many ways people will find to get up, and then down hills, and the amount of experimenting they will do to find a better way.

Loomis Adventures.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Krillinakw and I just took a break at loveland ... At least a foot of fresh out there.

42 days down.. 3 to go!
          33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
            Today was one of those magical days .... in a drought season .... a last blast of winter dropped a couple of feet of heavy wet pow over Sugarbowl ski area over the last 24 hours ...
            For the riders who joined me on the adventure tour at Sugarbowl during Shredfest , the last descent is through the middle Sister Chute , deep pow this time ....
            All right - rocking April Pow! Thanks for the video Jack. Glad you are enjoying the Sherpas on the new AT set-up.
            In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
              Krillinakw and I just took a break at loveland ... At least a foot of fresh out there.
              Very cool! Looks like the pow was good. Keep rocking that April snow.

Austin - I know you are missing Bear Creek man - hang in there. It might take a season or 2 in Colorado to forget about that gnarly Bear Creek terrain and the plentiful pow you are used to riding but you will eventually get there where riding in Colorado seems OK.
              In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
              Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Still shredding in late April. I'm so incredibly jealous!
                Boards/Bindings:
                2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
                X