Bitten by the backcountry bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitten by the backcountry bug

Hi all, just did my first longish skin up a hill in Japan yesterday (on rented AT skis). And although I didn't make it all the way to the top - too much ice and wind, I thoroughly thoroughly (thoroughly!) enjoyed myself, and can't wait to do it again! So, the question now is - how will I be able to do this on my lovely Sherpas next season?

Given the Sherpa has 4x10 insets, I'm guessing the backwards fixed binding, and the snowboard binding options are out. I also imagine the stability of these setups on icy traverses would be a little marginal, and the fixies scare me anyway. Plus I really do like the Sherpas, and would like to stick with them.

So either direct mount (I do have a spare pair of older center mount Sherpas as the donor patient), or wait for the Spruce BC riser. Any news or opinion on that front?

Is there a third option I'm not aware of?

Looking forward to finding out more!

Lastly, pics from my hike!

Crack of dawn!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20140402_040619.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	248481

Sunrise!

Name:	20140402_053657.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	248480

Name:	20140402_053757.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	248479

Mid-mountain breakfast with a view!

Name:	20140402_055855.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	248478

Volcanic fumaroles - don't fall in!

Name:	20140402_062709.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	248475

Name:	20140402_062405.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	248476

Name:	20140402_062036.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	248477

Name:	20140402_073610.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	248474

Up the spine, wind picking up

Name:	20140402_073654.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	248473

Seeking refuge from the wind - decided to turn back here ... Maybe next year!

Name:	20140402_084825crop.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	248472

Nice!

But where are the trees? Windchill must be a consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Hi LYK , nice that you have been bitten by the bug ! I have good news for you ... Jeff Singer has just finished putting together a prototype of his new AT backcountry Ambition binding /riser set up and is ready to send it off to me for testing .. we got some late season snow and so I should be able to use it before the backcountry season winds down here ... If all goes well it should be ready for purchase this summer or early fall . This will be a riser /AT binding set up specifically designed for the Sherpa and can be attached directly to the inserts of the Sherpa either the center inserts or the rear inserts if you have the new model , it will be provided with crampons and the only thing you will need to get will be skins..... I am eager to get it from Jeff , soon and will post pictures and reports as I try them out on the Sherpas .....
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Hi Jack, thanks for the update! The ambition binding looks like a pretty decent middle of the road binding. I think I will definitely appreciate being able to change modes while locked in - I was on markers, and it got pretty dicey trying to lock the heels down on the windswept slope, trying to beat a hasty retreat down to a safe area to take off my skins - I was this >-< close to losing a ski down the hill!

http://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/store
        Is this the right place for compatible skins? Which one do I need?

Wookie, the trees decided to take the day off because it was too windy! I should've taken the hint! But given that it was my last day on the hill, I had to give it a go, and am glad I did.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by LYK View Post
          Hi Jack, thanks for the update! The ambition binding looks like a pretty decent middle of the road binding. I think I will definitely appreciate being able to change modes while locked in - I was on markers, and it got pretty dicey trying to lock the heels down on the windswept slope, trying to beat a hasty retreat down to a safe area to take off my skins - I was this >-< close to losing a ski down the hill!

http://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/store
          Is this the right place for compatible skins? Which one do I need?

Wookie, the trees decided to take the day off because it was too windy! I should've taken the hint! But given that it was my last day on the hill, I had to give it a go, and am glad I did.

Ken
          Hi Ken,

Yes ... I buy skins there .. good quality and cheap ...
          For the Sherpa I would get the 115 width skin , with the bungee tip and hook tail .ring width 70mm , the desgin on the skin up to you , ha , ha ! they have a chipmunk skin or snowflake design available
          http://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/s...647&id=7938625

I like the tail hook for the Sherpa , as it has a straight broad tail and the hook works nice , for more curved fat twin tip skiboards or skis the double bungee system is better.
          . you will need to trim the skin a tiny bit in the middle because the Sherpa is 112 but not much trimming .. you could get a wider skin and then do a lot of trimming in the middle to fit , it will cover more of the base of the board , but I have found it is not that important ... the skins come with a nice trim tool .. , that makes trimming easy , you do want to have the metal edge showing all along the skiboard and not cover the metal edge with skin material so you can edge well on icy traverses or side hilling

ps . I definitely like an AT binding where I can change modes on the fly , and not have to get out of the binding to switch modes for exactly the kind of situations you describe ....
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
            the desgin on the skin up to you , ha , ha ! they have a chipmunk skin or snowflake design available
            http://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/s...647&id=7938625
            Choices choices.... I'd like to be one with the snow.... but snowflakes are slippery. Chipmunks can climb trees, but not with their fur. time to break out the venn diagram.

If I do go with the chipmunk, I take comfort in knowing that
            All chipmunk pelts are taken from chipmunks that died of natural causes. It is a solemn and respectful process.
            And...

Opps that was meant to be addressed to Slow! Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Comment

another option would be to direct mount touring bindings. doing away with the extra height from a riser
              Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
              Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

Originally posted by graeme View Post
                another option would be to direct mount touring bindings. doing away with the extra height from a riser
                Yes, Jeff has direct mounted fritscihi bindings on the Sherpa and it works well,...the major benefit of a insert mount with a riser/AT binding combo is the ability to rear mount an AT binding on the Sherpa, not enough thickness outback to direct mount the long footprint of a bar type AT binding with any significant setback. I have ridden the Sherpa center mount and rear mount in back country snow and prefer rear mount. The riser for the At binding is way lower then a standard riser and I do not notice the extra height. The new proto that Jeff is sending me has 3 different riser heights to try 3,6,9 mm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

I was getting intrigued by the though of experiencing back country terrain, until I discovered tree wells. Now I'm not so sure. The thought of a slow death, suffocating upside down, helpless, maybe for hour or days, is horrifying. Other skiers could be a few feet away and never see or hear you as you suffer. Statistically there a four tree well deaths per year in the US. Not a great risk, but what a dreadful way to go.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Graeme and jjue,

Ive also considered doing a direct mount. With regards to the issue of insufficent thickness for the screws to bite - What about installing t-nuts into the board for the heel mount? That should make it a bit more sturdy? Do they make t-nuts in normal binding screw sizes?

BW,
                    Ive seen that particular video. Treewells and avalanches are always a grave danger, inbounds or out - but obviously the risk can be much elevated out of bounds. For me, the most important thing is to learn about the danger, and avoid getting myself into high risk terrain - Im reading all i can about backcountry and avalanche awareness ( currently reading bruce trempers highly regarded book) , and am already planning to take another off-piste/backcountry course in europe next season. In the event I do get caught, Ive got a rescue whistle to attract attention, and an avalung to buy me some time. Im also considering getting a two way GPS tracking/messenger device for next season. Unfortuantely, I dont have any backcountry buddies to ski with here, so the standard probe/shovel/beacon kit does me no good.

Heres another very sobering video rgd an avalanche burial

http://vimeo.com/6581009

Comment

BW,
                      Ive seen that particular video. Treewells and avalanches are always a grave danger, inbounds or out - but obviously the risk can be much elevated out of bounds. For me, the most important thing is to learn about the danger, and avoid getting myself into high risk terrain - Im reading all i can about backcountry and avalanche awareness ( currently reading bruce trempers highly regarded book) , and am already planning to take another off-piste/backcountry course in europe next season. In the event I do get caught, Ive got a rescue whistle to attract attention, and an avalung to buy me some time. Im also considering getting a two way GPS tracking/messenger device for next season. Unfortuantely, I dont have any backcountry buddies to ski with here, so the standard probe/shovel/beacon kit does me no good.
                      I would be horribly unprepared. Education and guided experience would be key for me becoming comfortable in back country terrain.

The Avalung could be a life saver in a tree well as long as you could get the mouthpiece in. I've heard of skiers getting their arms trapped by their pole straps and not being able to use their hands. I wonder if the new avalanche air bags would be of any use? I guess skiboarders may have a better chance to escape tree wells than skiers due to shorter skis and no poles?
                      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                        I was getting intrigued by the though of experiencing back country terrain, until I discovered tree wells. Now I'm not so sure. The thought of a slow death, suffocating upside down, helpless, maybe for hour or days, is horrifying. Other skiers could be a few feet away and never see or hear you as you suffer. Statistically there a four tree well deaths per year in the US. Not a great risk, but what a dreadful way to go.

Scary shit!
                        Boards/Bindings:
                        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                          I would be horribly unprepared. Education and guided experience would be key for me becoming comfortable in back country terrain.

The Avalung could be a life saver in a tree well as long as you could get the mouthpiece in. I've heard of skiers getting their arms trapped by their pole straps and not being able to use their hands. I wonder if the new avalanche air bags would be of any use? I guess skiboarders may have a better chance to escape tree wells than skiers due to shorter skis and no poles?
                          Im also a timid tenderfoot in the world of backcountry. I try to reel in the risk by erring on the conservative side - this particular hike was planned for the day before, but I stayed in and chilled in the onsens instead, due to high winds and poor visibility. I also decided to turn back before reaching the summit, as conditions were still not entirely favourable when I got near the top. I also try to take it nice and slow on the descents - skiboards, with their manuverability and tight turn radius, would help alot with this.

I do use poles, but never loop them around my wrist - they go around the palm with the strap btw the thumb and index finger - for that very reason.

Airbags I hear are great for staying on top of avalanches, but i dont think are really meant for tree wells. They work by lowering your overall body density, floating you to the top as you are carried down by the heavier avalanche debris. I dont think they would work in a static situation like a tree well. They are also very expensive, and a pain to travel by air with because of the explosives and compress air cartridges they use. Ive read that a new design that is deployed via a battery powered fan is coming out soon - that should take away a lot of the issues the current designs have.

Comment

Concerning direct mount , I still think there might be an issue with enough depth way out back on the Sherpa for standard length T nuts for the rear screws of the heel assembly of a bar AT binding, .. the beauty of using the set back inserts of the riser is that it allows the set back with the screws in inserts in the thick part of the board and the riser doing the work of setting the binding back.

Concerning backcountry risks.... the most important safety measures are being conservative in your riding and climbing, understanding the risks such as tree wells and avalanches , and avoiding those risks as much as possible , ie giving big trees wide berths in deep pow conditions and avoiding avalanche prone terrain ...checking avy forecasts etc. but , of course , the most important safety measure is skiing with knowledgeable backcountry friends.
                            In the last few years we have had a number of tree well deaths in California and one of a skier I knew personally , all of the tree well deaths I am aware of occurred in bounds at ski resorts , with solo riders up side down in deep tree wells in powder conditions .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                            Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

On the subject of setbacks, I remember reading an old posting of yours regarding the 2-plate inset touring mount, which were center mounted on the sherpa. It seems like the conclusion there was that a forward mount bias is more favoubable for climbing.

When I first got on the markers, I noticed that engaging the heel lock moved the binding position. I was enthused until I realised that it moved the binding the "wrong" way - the touring position was backwards, and the locked position was forwards!

Perhaps the plate is a good, simple compromise in this case - I can climb in the centered position, and if the situation permits, move the plate on the hill and descend on the setback position, which I prefer. It does run the risk of losing a riser screw on the hill though...

Comment

Working...
                              X