Backcountry on the Blunts !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backcountry on the Blunts !

As most folks are aware we have been in a horrible drought year out west . Yesterday a minor storm came through finally . The ski areas report 4 inches of new snow . I was intending to go a ski resort , but on a whim I decided to check out my favorite backcountry trail head . Sometimes there is magic in the backcountry , local unusual dumps of snow , you never can tell . I was not expecting much , maybe just a little tour up the road on 4 inches of snow over dirt and then on to the resort . I had as usual brought my Blunts with the modified Sims snowboard binding , a brand new pair of bargain 100 buck DC gizmo snowboard boots, and I also had had the forsight of throwing in a pair of skins for the Blunts that I had trimmed just last night .
    Here is the trail head sign looking much more promising then I had expected:
    IMG_0739_zpsa1c07c7f by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Some other folks heading up the trail took my picture ,with my brand new backcountry set up !
    IMG_0742_zps930a65f0 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

The top and the middle strap are swung around to the rear and hooked together with the rachet straps , this serves to keep the highback upright and not pivoting forward while I climb , I have the single toe strap over my boot .. my boot sits right back in the binding and the double wings really help to give support while climbing and sidehilling ... works fantastic ! Skins are underfoot ...

Hey this looks like winter ! Have I died and gone to heaven ?????
    IMG_0748_zpsef2ac19a by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

On the trail .... up the road ...
    IMG_0753_zpsc2590ab7 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Ok I top out on the ridge ... my plan was to just go back down the road .... but wait , let me take a look on the other side of the ridge toward the north .. is this a mirage .. there looks like a lot of snow out there ...

IMG_0754_zps3045f0b7 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

I don't really believe this , maybe there are rocks underneath , that will tear up my Blunts ... oh hell , let's give it a go... skins stripped off , Binding straps all tightened up , and ready to take the Blunts on their maiden backcountry run ...
    Did not bring my go pro .. who wants to watch a guy walk up a road !!!!
    OH MY ! The pow is sweet and deep and there are no rocks , this feels like a regular January day in years past not a drought year ...... the Blunts are a miracle, 88cm long but uber wide and float me wonderfully and smooth ... OMG is this fun !IMG_0763_zps8ea98578 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Deeper into the forest and the snow just gets deeper ... IMG_0761_zpse2d5a82b by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

All too soon and I flatten out . Skiboards off and have a power bar and some water and transition for the climb back up ... skins on the miracle tiny boards !
    IMG_0757_zps378b364a by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

And here are my high tech heel elevators in place ( yes , they are plastic sewer caps bought at the local hardware store ) and work perfectly ...
    IMG_0758_zpsc4fb3ab1 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

It is really deep and unconsolidated snow and I am climbing out on my descent track , the Blunts do really cool kick steps , like a short snowshoe and I work my way slowly up good workout and better then going to the gym . !
    Looking back on my kick step trail.....

IMG_0759_zps4d9814c3 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

I take one last look at this magical place and wonder when the snow gods will let me do it again , but for today it was truly a magic gift !
    IMG_0760_zps6d3a164b by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

It's painful but I can't look away...so much beautiful snow...sooo jealous! Glad you got to enjoy this, Jack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    '07 "soft" ALPs
    Eyeball DLPs
    125 LEs
    Ospreys mounted bindings
    Crossbows
    Spruce riser release bindings
    Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

Comment

Awesome Jack! I am just back from a long weekend getaway in Florida and a bit depressed looking at a pile of work in front of me but this post made me smile.

I applaud your continuing experimentation.
      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Jack. I needed those pictures to boost my spirits.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Great report as always, Jack. I wondered how a pair of short and wide boards would perform for backcountry work.
          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Beautiful conditions, and a sweet compact rig to enjoy them! Thanks for sharing, Jack.

On the same weekend, I was testing my DIY risers inbounds at Kirkwood. I had a great time on what snow was to be had there, but am thoroughly jealous of this corner of heaven you came across!

Comment

The Blunts perform well in the powder I agree. I will forsure be taking them for a tour in the BC backcountry this year! Awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
              X