LL Bean Boreal Sliding Snowshoe 2012 Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LL Bean Boreal Sliding Snowshoe 2012 Version

I have the original version of LL Bean's Boreal Sliding Snowshoe which was originally made by Karhu and is a 130 cm short ski with an imbedded partial climbing skin . I used it as an approach ski carrying my teleboard into the backcountry and also played around with it going downhill . It actually convinced me that a true short ski/skiboard with a smooth base and removable climbing skin would be cool to go both uphill and downhill and got me into looking at short skis and skiboards with a smooth base . The imbedded climbing skin that was not removable was VERY SLOW to descend in .
    Last season LL Bean introduced a new version of this short ski . The moniker "sliding snowshoe" is a misnomer . It actually is a short ski with dimensions of 130 cm in length 125-90-115 side cut . The imbedded partial climbing skin has been junked in favor of a Fishscale crosscountry ski base in the central area of the ski. In fact this is the very first short ski with a fishscale base which is really cool . Apparently the ski is made by Rossignol for LLBean and is a scaled down version of their well received Backcountry BC 125 ski . I actually have the original version of that Rossignol ski and it was originally made in only one size 165cm and a stiff flex for bigger guys and a soft flex for lighter folks , Now it is just produced in a soft flex and offered in 165, 175 and 185 sizes and recommended sizing is based on weight of the rider.. I have the 165cm stiff flex version and have it mounted with telemark bindings and it works great . This new LLBean 130cm short ski version is I think based on the 160cm stiff flex Rossi ski I have .
    Fishscale bases are really cool because they allow you to walk up and down in rolling terrain without having to take on and off skins . You still can carry skins for steeper climbs and put them on over the smooth base when needed. The fishscale cross country base slides nicely in firm snow and is much faster then going downhill on skins and is almost as fast as going downhill with a smooth base.

The LL Bean Boreal is offered with a minamilist soft boot free heel berwin binding , that I think would be pretty sketchy for downhills . But it can also be bought as a bare ski and drilled and mounted with any telemark or alpine touring binding .
    I got a pair ($225 dollars from LLBean for the bare ski) and mounted it with telemark bindings and will let you know what I think. Like all short skis I have used I have mounted my bindings with a signifcant set back.

I already have a precut pair of skins that I used for my Hagan 130 which actually has similar dimensions to this LL Bean ski that should fit just perfectly . So if there is any possiblity I have to do any steeper climbing, I will carry skins also . This of course in no way will replace my primary backcountry kit of the Rockered Condor with Rocker binding , but will be a nice option for gentle and rolling terrain where I don't want to fuss with skins .

Here is a picture of the LL Bean Boreal ski mounted. with VP 2 Telemark binding which can be used with any welted boot ( great binding unfortunately no longer available ) . The LL Bean Boreal is next to my Rossignol 165 BC 125 . I think the LL Bean Boreal is a downsized version of the Rossi

Here is a good article on how to pack for a backpacking trip by Jen Miller at Jenreviews.com

Here is a review of the LL Bean Boreal from backpacker magazine ..

Here is a nice review of the various short ski dedicated backcountry options this season including the LL Bean Boreal .
    Last edited by Greco; 02-01-2018, 10:22 PM.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

I mounted the LL Bean Boreal 130 with a telemark binding ( Voile -VP2) and used them with T2 telemark boots and tried them out at a ski resort. Not yet taken them into the backcountry.
    The fishscale base covers about 80% of the base and walking about and going uphill there is excellent grip . The ski is stiff and high cambered and parallel turns on firm pack are ok but certainly not as good as a flatter cambered Hagan 130 which has similar dimensions . Telemark turns on firm snow seem just fine . I think a lighter rider then me (190lbs) might find that the high camber and stiff flex might make the turns a bit sketchier . The fishscales make the board slower gliding then a smooth based board like the Hagan 130 but glides much better then the older version of the LL Bean Boreal with the embedded partial skin .
    I think this will be a good short ski for going about in rolling terrain without skins and should turn well in soft snow . The smooth based Hagan 130 which has very similar dimensions , is I think, a better backcountry short ski if you are going to do steeper terrains and need climbing skins . The Hagan is a signficantly better ski for downhill riding .
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Ski tour on Boreal 130

This last weekend got a chance to try out the Boreal 130s at Kirkwood Cross Country in nice spring conditions (firm icy snow in the morning , turing soft in the warm sun ) . The Boreal 130 are no longer being produced . They were the only short ski to have a fishscale cross country base . The closest product still available is the 125 cm Altai Hok which has a partial skin instead of the fishscale . I used the predecessor to the Altai Hok with the partial skin and really didn't like how slow it was on downhills. The Boreal 130s have a very effective fishscale base which is fast on the trail for flats and moderate climbing . I did bring along skins and found them useful in the morning when the snow was still icy as I climbed up away from the prepared tracks into the surrounding off trail slopes. Later in the day when the snow softened , the skins were unnecessary and the fishscale base worked great providing plenty of traction for the up and nice kick and glide on the flats , and smooth descents .
      I just had my cell phone with me . so sorry about the picture quality .
      Here is a picture of my skis for the day .... short but relatively fat ...

On the flats approaching Schneider Cow Camp ... this barn and meadow are used in the summer for cattle grazing
      Surrounding the meadow are great slopes for downhilling once you climb up No chair lifts here ...

The surrounding slopes are beautiful and easily accessible from the prepared trails ...

Heading up the ridge in the morning sun .....

Topping out .. nice view of Kirkwood downhill ski area across the way ....

Dropping the sun softened snow was super cool ... the downhill was certainly not as easy as on my Rockered Condors or Sherpas but no matter these Boreals are nice and fun ... the Boreals . were super fun and fast on the flats and rolling terrain of the cropss country area .. I spent the rest of the day exploring using the prepared trails and going up the side slopes and descending without worrying about changing skins ... super fun !

ps the boot I was using was the Garmont Excursion ... a super lightweight low cut plastic telemark touring boot which is the closest thing to leather a plastic boot can get, super comfy for the flat work but plenty of downhill control for this short ski ...

The vast majority of folks just stay to the prepared trails and do not explore or climb the surrounding slopes. There is a gradual climb along a snow covered summer road to the top of a ridge and a fast descent back along the road to the trail head .... but for me the trail system is just a super cool invitation to explore and the climb the surrounding slopes.. but the key here is to be able to use the efficient trail system with a nice fishscale equipped cross country ski , the Boreals are the perfect tool .. ps a trail pass for the cross country system is 24 dollars pretty cheap considering how much you have to pay across the way for lift served ....
      Here is a description of the trail system, I explored last weekend :

"The Schneider Trail System is located at a higher elevation, climbing to over 9,000, feet affording phenomenal views of the surrounding wilderness areas including the Carson spur and Caples Lake. These trails can be accessed by car for those who wish to avoid the steep terrain of “ Agony and Ecstasy". The Schneider Trail System is an elaborate system of interwoven trails in the high country of Kirkwood. Climbing to the crest of the Sierra these trails afford views of the Desolation Wilderness, the Coastal Range and a panoramic view of the Sierra Crest. The trails all lead up toward the famed Schneider Cow Camp. A wonderful old barn remains in the meadow, a great spot for basking in the sun (we provide the lounge chairs). Beyond the camp one climbs Sierra Vista and on to Coyote Pass. Coyote Pass sits high above the Kirkwood valley and Caples Lake. A this is a perfect place to sit and ponder. The return ski is exciting and mostly downhill. While descending the high ridge and crossing open bowls the views are so incredible that one must stop often to take it all in."
      Boards :
      Boots
      Bindings:

Comment

Very cool jack, the backcountry touring aspect of snowsliding is becoming more and more appealing to me.. I live in the perfect area for it. I think you should try a pair of these babies out.. they're made up here in my area code, the 906. It's a 140 'sliding snowshoe'

http://marquette-backcountry.com/

Comment

Originally posted by g.dub View Post
          Very cool jack, the backcountry touring aspect of snowsliding is becoming more and more appealing to me.. I live in the perfect area for it. I think you should try a pair of these babies out.. they're made up here in my area code, the 906. It's a 140 'sliding snowshoe'

http://marquette-backcountry.com/
          Yes I seriously thought of getting a pair of those .. what turned be off were . they were way heavy ,, much heavier then the Boreal's and also did not have a metal edge .. out here in the west in spring conditions , metal edges are really necessary for traversing steep icy slopes in the morning , side hilling up hills etc... I think those Marquettes would be super cool in soft snow conditions ...
          The Marquettes are much wider then the Boreals and longer and twice as heavy
          140 cm long dimensions 150-130-140 10 lbs /pair vs the Boreals 130cm long 125-90-115 dimensions weight 5 lb/pair
          here is a nice video review .

Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

Working...
          X