Rockered Condor Soft Touring Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockered Condor Soft Touring Rig

Note: This post has been edited 8/15/2012 to include experiences with the rig after 1 year of testing in the backcountry. The new information will be found immediately after the original post.

The new 2012 Revel8 Rockered Condor has a number of unique features which make it a unique and revolutionary backcountry skiboard. My report on summer prototype testing is here.
    Since my summer prototype testing I have been busy trying to think up simple touring modifications to allow me to use my snowboard boots and the Rockerbinding to tour in the backcountry.
    In this thread I will discuss my latest design for a soft boot touring rig for the Rockered Condor .
    Here is a view of the finished installation ... key points to notice 1/ voile crampon attachment in front of the binding and riser, .... 2/replacement of the Revel8 soft boot riser with shorter , wider and much lighter Edge Snowboard riser ... (the shortness of the riser allows installation and function of the ski crampon ) ,3/bungeed short heel elevator to the rear ready for deployment . ..4/ unused middle and top binding straps locked neatly to the rear 5/ Climbing skins are applied to the bases
    IMG_0005 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Here is the boot attached , and crampon attached and heel elevator deployed..
    IMG_0006 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Climbing skins can be purchased from a number of suppliers. The skins used above were bought from Climbing skins direct and have the proper attachment hardware to fit the wide tip of the Rockered Condor. (130mm width skins, tip ring 70mm , )
    http://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/s...roduct=7938625

Ok now for details ....
    the basic touring design is very simple, the single front binding strap holds the forefoot of the boot to the floor of the binding , the boot pivots over the edge of the binding much like a traditional snowshoe binding works . The nature of the system allows for significant heel elevation in walking .. Here is a picture showing the amount of freedom of motion this very simple touring design allows..
    IMG_0077-2_zps5df1b7e3 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

The rear highback of the binding helps prevent the boot from sliding out of the front strap and the side wings of the binding help prevent torqueing of the boot from side to side as you step down ... in difficult traversing and angled climbing .. the second binding strap can also be deployed and attached loosely to prevent side to side motion of the boot while still allowing a bit of vertical motion .

Here is a detail of the Voile crampon piece attached to the front of the Rockered Condor ... this requires drilling the Condor and reducing the sizes of the supplied screws with a bolt cutter to attach the crampon holder... care must be exercised not to drill through or dimple the bases with either drilling or screwing in the wood screws.
    IMG_0003 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    Here is a view of the crampon attached to the voile crampon stud via a wing nut (10/32 or 5mm ) ..
    IMG_0001 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

So there you have the barebones of the Rockered Condor Soft Boot Touring rig....
    Further information including suppliers of necesssary parts , the nature and use of the different parts of this backcountry rig , will be discussed later in this thread including details of installation .

edited 8/15/2012,
    The rig has had one full season of extensive product testing and performs great as detailed in the remainder of the posts on this thread. I will summarize the major updates to this rig.
    Updates:
    ]
    Initially the Rocker binding was supplied without it's own riser . Last season the production Rocker binding was supplied with 4 rubberized riser feet. It was discovered in product testing that a central ruberized puck was also necessary to have the factory supplied Rocker binding work as a backcountry binding to stabilize and prevent the central screws from loosening with climbing . This upcoming season all Rocker Bindings purchased through SBOL will be supplied with the central puck as well as the standard 4 rubber riser feet. Those who have purchased their Rocker binding without the central puck can purchase the puck as an aftermarket accessory directly from Rocker Binding for a nominal fee. The production Rocker binding with the central puck can be used instead of the aftermarket Edge Snowboard Riser and allows enough room for the installation of a skiboard crampon as pictured. Here is a picture of the production Rocker Binding with central puck.
    IMG_0101 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    Overall weight of the Production Rockerbinding with central puck and 4 rubber riser feet is heavier then a Rockerbinding used with an aftermarket plastic Edge Snowboard Riser. Those users who purchase a Rockerbinding can easily remove the rubber feet (they are just screwed into the binding base) and purchase an aftermarket Edge Snowboard Riser if they wish to save weight . The Production Rockerbinding does however have advantages for downhill riding . It has a higher riser height then the Edge Snowboard riser and also has a ride dampening suspension effect that the rigid Edge Snowbard riser does not. These advantages are definitely noticeable in firm, icy conditions.

2/ edited 3/26/2013 The new production Rockerbinding has a larger gap in the back of the binding which requires a larger plastic heel elevator to be used. I carry a 4" ABS drain cap that can be purchased in a local hardware store to use as heel elevators when needed. This particular cap has a wide flange and grate at the top that helps prevent the cap from sliding out the back . To put them in and take them out I simply loosen the front strap of the binding lift my heel up and pop the cap in behind my boot and then tighten my front strap . The cap stays locked in under my boot . To remove them on the fly , I just reverse the process.
    Here is a picture of the plumbing cap I carry
    IMG_0072-1_zpsa9179b40 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    IMG_0075-2_zps8e039368 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    Here is a picture of the plumbing cap in place
    IMG_0073-1_zps4fcb3ecb by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    Here is a picture of the plumbing cap used as a heel elevator with the production Rocker binding
    IMG_0077-2_zps5df1b7e3 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    3/ a circular fender washer is used between the screw and the crampon to provide a more secure and firm attachment of the crampon and prevent bending of the crampon.
    IMG_0001 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    4/ IMHO after extensive testing for an entire season . The Rockerbinding mounted on the Rockered Condor is a truly unique backcountry skiboard touring option. It is really the only production downhill oriented skiboard product that can do double duty ski touring without any special parts or modifications which is pretty unique. While using snowboard boots for regular resort riding is nice, the ability to skiboard tour with snowboard boots and yet have a no compromise downhill rig on the descent is a huge advance for backcountry riding. Hiking and climbing in snowboard boots is so much more comfortable then any kind of hard boots ! I also think the combination of the binding with the Rockered Condor is unique. The major advance for backcountry riding is that the Rockered Condor really allows a binding to be mounted dead center (which is the optimum position for climbing on skiboards) and yet perform great from that same center mount position going down in deep powder. IMHO all other 110 skiboards do better mounted set back for the downhill in deep powder. So it really is not just the Rocker binding but that binding combined with a specific skiboard that makes the combo so nice! Kudos to Greco for providing the hugely innovative Rockered Condor which is the perfect backcountry skiboard, and Kudos to Jake for providing the Rocker Binding , the perfect backcountry skiboard binding. A match made in heaven for sure for backcountry riders!
    5/ This last season there were a large variety of riders on the Rockered Condor who wrote reviews of the skiboard. However, as far as I know I am the only rider last season who used the Rockered Condor with the Rockerbinding snowboard boot set up for backcountry skiboard touring.

7/ This rig is a Non-release binding option. Use of Non-release skiboard bindings are limited to skiboards 110cm and less in length for safety reasons by manufacturers. For those riders desiring full release backcountry skiboard rigs two great options are available through SBOL and Spruce Mountain Skiboards . These options require the use of regular downhill alpine skiboots or hardshell Alpine touring (AT)boots. (They are NOT compatible with soft snowboard boots or hardshell alpine carving snowboard boots).
    I have used and reviewed both of these rigs and they work great, although personally, I prefer the soft touring rig on the Rockered Condor.

Rockered Condor with Fritschi Eagle binding

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13045

Spruce Sherpa with Fritschi Pro-Ride binding
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=11149

Pictures from last season :
    IMG_0124 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    IMG_0040 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    IMG_0210 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    IMG_0053-1 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    IMG_0171 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    IMG_0180 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    IMG_0227 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    IMG_0196 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Videos
    I have experimented with a variety of ways to use or not use my poles on the descent . I have stowed them on the pack and ridden down without them , I have ridden with them held crosswise like in the video below. I have finally just settled on riding downhill with them in my hands just like I would on long skis.

Here is a video of this set up in backcounry light dry pow ..

In this video I am the first and the last rider in this sequence of three clips. In the first sequence I am on pretty firm snow and you can see how I control the board in firm snow by just "slarving" or sliding the board sideways. This is a very nice controllable way to descend firm snow on the Rockered Condor and I often do this rather then trying to sharply edge the board.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

A return to the roots: strapped touring bindings

The inspiration for the single strap touring design is in ancient designs of ski bindings . My first use of the Rockerbinding in this way to tour is detailed on the thread below and video .
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...1270&page=7#en

Climbing skins are required for touring and can be purchased from Climbing Skins direct ..see below .. you want tip and tail skins , width - 130mm , tip ring -wide
    https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/Skins.html
    The long footprint of the Revel8 Soft boot riser prevents the toe of the boot from dropping below level with a toe strap binding but this is not too bad and touring function is actually quite good as you can see in the video ( I am using the Revel8 Softboot riser in the video)

Old time snowshoe binding design uses a simple toe strap and a hole in the snowshoe webbing to allow boot toe to drop below the deck and some means of limiting lateral and backwards motion of the boot while climbing and walking .

Using the single front strap of the Rockerbinding on the shorter Edge-riser allows the toe of the boot to tip below the level of the binding and allows freeer motion of the heel much like snowshoe bindings do.. Remember however that in skinning on our Condors we do not really lift the skiboard up out of the snow like snowshoes but slide the skiboards and then step down ... the Rockerbinding high back and side walls help guide the heel of the boot back and prevent torqueing to the side on climbing ...

How much your boot will overlap the tip of the Rockerbinding is dependent on your boot size .. I am a size 11 , those with smaller boot sizes will overlap less and those with large boot sizes more ...

In summary , the actual touring function of the Rockerbinding is based on antique ski touring and snowshoe binding designs , brought back to life in a new way .
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Straps out of the way

The top and center straps are not in use during touring , the straps are easily pivoted to the rear and connected together ready to deploy for descent .. The center strap can also be moved to the front and loosely deployed over the instep of the boot to limit side to side motion during difficult climbing and traversing while allowing some heel motion .
      Boards :
      Boots
      Bindings:

Comment

Edge Riser

The Edge Riser is a relatively low cost snowboard binding riser that can be purchased on line and used to elevate the Rockerbinding in lieu of the Revel8 Softboot riser on the Condors. It is much lighter then the Revel8 riser and is a much shorter , wider riser that allows improved touring function at the toe as detailed above as well as allowing the use of front positioned crampons which will be detailed later . It provides 20mm of lift , the Rockerbinding itself provides additional 18mm of lift for total of 38mm of lift . The Revel8 Soft boot riser has a few advantages for resort use .. it is narrow and interchangeable with all skiboards . The Edge riser is wide and can only be used with the Condor as it will overhang other skiboard edges. . The Revel8 Softboot riser is long and provides nice support of the binding if the binding is set back. The Edge riser provides much less support for Rockerbindings in the available 4cm set back position . I like the Edge riser only if you are using the Rockerbinding center mount . Since center mount is the position of choice on the Rockered Condor in all conditions the Edge riser is fine . The Revel8 Soft boot riser provides 30mm of elevation (additional 10mm of elevation ) with total of 48mm elevation ( kind of like Spruce Riser/binding stack height) . this may give you better carving on firm snow . .but is less important in the backcountry .

Take a look in my previous post of the picture of the Rockerbinding mounted atop the Edge riser ...
        Here is a picture of the riser itself , I replaced the supplied screws with 30mm m6 stainless steel socket head flat head screws . These screws used with a single washer seem to provide the best most secure attachment of the Rockerbinding to riser and to the Condor

Here is the commercial web site
        http://www.edge-risers.com/4436.html
        Boards :
        Boots
        Bindings:

Comment

Front mounted crampons

I am a firm believer on the necessity for crampons for backcountry climbing with skiboards . Here is why ( I posted this on another thread but will repeat it here )
          One word of warning about climbing on skiboards with skins , skiboards are much shorter , of course , then skis and there is less length of skin on snow ... even in deep pow conditions in the dead of winter , if you are following packed down skin tracks made by skiers , you will find it tough going without skiboard crampons .... on one of the deepest days of the year in Tahoe last year with brand new bottomless snow .. my Shredfest group was following a steep skin track up to the top of the mountain .. I had everyone fitted with ski crampons and we all needed them to climb up and even with them it was slippery ! sure you could break your own less steep trail in the deep snow but that would be hugely inefficient ... backcountry riding is getting more and more popular and the good places will often have a nice firm very steep skin track to the top placed by fit young guys and gals on long skis ...they will be flying up the hill on skins alone while you will be slipping backwards with your much shorter skiboards..... so just a word of warning , if you are using a touring skiboard set up following these tracks and don't have ski crampons , you may regret it.
          speaking of snowshoes , if you try to climb these tracks made by skiers using snowshoes , you will essentially destroy the skin track for the skiers causing a lot of post holes in the track and you may get a lot of grief from the skiers using it and a lecture about etiquette ... backcountry etiquette is for the snowshoers to break their own trail which is tough going and very inefficient in deep snow if there is a nice skin track made by skiers which you can use if you are also on skins ...

Ok now how do we get a way to use crampons on the Rockered Condor ?
          First you need to buy a set of these Voile crampon studs ... available for 21 dollars

http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/m...duct_Code=2095

Voile does not have wide enough crampons for our use and the attachment system they use with their crampons is a bit different then what we will be doing , so we will not use their big plastic thumb screw but simple wing nuts instead ... the part we need looks like this after installation .. you will need to drill the Condor and then reduce the length of the supplied screws with a bolt cutter.. a special drill head for drilling ski bindings that insures the proper depth is useful otherwise you may drill right through your beautiful new condors .. if you use too long a screw you will dimple your bases .. if you are unsure , plan out where you what the disc installed and have a ski tech person install if for you ..
          Here is how the crampon stud looks installed with the wing nut attached . you will need 10/32 or 5mm metric wing nuts ( buy several of these and carry them in your pack in case you lose them in the field )

Next you will need to buy the proper crampon to fit ... you need to by these super fat B and D ski crampons

http://bndskigear.com/fatcrampons.html
          you need the size 135 mm crampons ...

you will see a series of holes down the center line of the crampon , you will need to drill and enlarge the first of these holes so that the hole fits the crampon stud and allows you to place the crampon over the stud ... you will need to position your crampon stud so that the crampon fits underneath the rocker binding plate and just in front of the front of the riser . like this

The B and D ski crampons are just a tiny bit too narrow to fit easily ,so you will need to use a sledge hammer and hammer the crampons in the center to get them to bow out a bit or hit the sides of the crampons to get them to flare out a bit so that the crampons fit nicely . This is not too hard to do and you don't need to hit too hard !
          Crampons are applied and removed in the field as needed to climb or traverse steep firmer snow .or firm skin tracks on powder days. ..
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

Verts-

Hey Jack .. now you are making a simple touring idea complicated with the crampons ? any alternatives ? ,also I would hate to drill my Condors ! actually there is ... instead of installing a ski crampon attachment system on your Condor , you could purchase a pair of these sweet mini snowshoes called "Verts" for 75 bucks and carry them on your pack ... in snow conditions that you are slipping on your skins and Condors , instead of ski crampons you could put your Condors on your pack and strap a pair of these on your boots and go straight up the hill .. they are very light and much lighter then regular snowshoes weighing about 2 1/2 lbs for the pair and are easy to carry ... they are no good for deep snow ( but that is what your Condor and skins are for ) ,they come in to their own going straight up in some loose snow over firm or in spring corn conditions ... basically a hard plastic dish with a fixed strap binding with plastic teeth ... H here is the web site and purchase information .http://www.verts.com.
            these have been around for many years but produced in small quantities and have been used by splitboard snowboarders as an accessory tool with excellent result here is a discussion on the snowboard splitboard forum with nice pics
            http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewt...&sd=a&start=39

ps our Condors will be much more compact and lighter to carry on our packs ! ps. for the backcountry skiboarder who wants to be completely outfitted for any condition , he will have a crampon system on his Rockered Condors as well as carry the Verts on his pack ! That will be me, for sure, on routes where I expect to do some straight up steep climbing !
            Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

Heel elevators

I like climbing with some kind of heel elevators... a simple system that is easy to engineer is a bungeed plastic piece 1" tall and 2" wide or maybe just a piece of pvc pipe 1" in diameter... I had a old telemark heel riser that I used ... the piece is tied to the rockerbinding by a bungee cord through some unused holes in the binding , it is kept out of the way on the back of the binding waiting to be deployed

it is deployed by hitting it with a ski pole where it is then suspended to the rear of the binding and when your heel comes down it is in the correct position to supply about 1" of heel lift .. 2" is ideal but the clearance for the slot behind the high back is only about 1 1/4" so I will make do with just a little bit of heel lift... I still think it will be worth it on climbing to have a little bit of lift in the heel ..
              this little piece is the least important of the features of this binding , but I enjoyed thinking something up LOL !

Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Final thoughts ....

To me what is most exciting about this rig .. is that it is totally unique to skiboarding and combines elements from , skiboarding, skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing to create a totally unique way of backcountry touring , climbing , and descending . I am really excited about using this as my primary backcountry rig this upcoming season .. As I have said in my review of the Rockered Condor .. it is just the cats meow for the backcountry .. and with a fully functional backcountry touring rig and soft comfortable snowboard boots, will be just a dream come true !
                Transitions are just a matter of stripping skins and removing crampons and then locking in with the three straps , tightening up your snowboard boots ( boa knobs really help to do this fast ) and you are locked and loaded for a sweet ride down mountain !
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

Any snow in the Sierra's Jack? I am looking forward to your reviews of the rocker Condor and your new soft boot set up.
                  sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                    Any snow in the Sierra's Jack? I am looking forward to your reviews of the rocker Condor and your new soft boot set up.
                    First snow of the season is expected tomorrow and wednesday . If snow materializes I will be up on thursday morning maybe just for some testing of the touring function on some snow covered dirt roads .

WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING
                    THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING ABOVE 7000 FEET...

A WINTER STORM WATCH ABOVE 7000 FEET REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM
                    TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* TIMING: HEAVIEST MOUNTAIN SNOW LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO
                    WEDNESDAY MORNING...WITH SNOW SHOWERS CONTINUING INTO
                    WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* POSSIBLE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: UP TO 10 INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET
                    ALONG THE SIERRA CREST...WITH A FEW INCHES POSSIBLE AT LAKE
                    LEVEL.

* WINDS: SOUTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.
                    RIDGE GUSTS UP TO 90 MPH.

* SNOW LEVELS: 8500 FEET FALLING TO 6000 FEET BY WEDNESDAY
                    MORNING.

* IMPACTS: SLICK AND SNOW COVERED ROADS WILL MAKE TRAVEL
                    HAZARDOUS IN THE SIERRA...ESPECIALLY OVER PASSES WHERE ROAD
                    CONTROLS AND DELAYS ARE LIKELY.
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Jack, you should sell a packaged kit with everything needed for this and just make a little markup for some profit. Think of it as a convenience charge. I know I would rather purchase something like that from you rather than having to go out and purchase it all separately. Plus, it would be a support specifically to our own industry. You can even make it available through SBOL and we all win.
                      I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
                        Jack, you should sell a packaged kit with everything needed for this and just make a little markup for some profit. Think of it as a convenience charge. I know I would rather purchase something like that from you rather than having to go out and purchase it all separately. Plus, it would be a support specifically to our own industry. You can even make it available through SBOL and we all win.
                        Dave , I think one of the advantages of the fact that we are using equipment inventoried and sold by backcountry ski and snowboard manufacturers is a big plus .. rather then SBOL having to inventory all the necessary parts and then mark it up ... it is very simple for the interested user to buy the necessary parts directly from large ski and snowboard companies that are inventoring and offering the parts at good prices because of their wide use by a variety of riders (snowboarders, skiers, and skiboarders ) . We are such a niche sport and it is really nice when equipment used by others can be used to cobble together are own touring solutions ! We all will be supporting companies that produce equipment that is skiboard specific like the Rockered Condor and the Rockerbinding skiboard binding.
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

I don't understand the angle of the bottom edge on the sides of the crampons. They look backwards to my uneducated eye.

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                            I don't understand the angle of the bottom edge on the sides of the crampons. They look backwards to my uneducated eye.
                            ski crampons are used to climb uphill , the ski is lifted up and advanced up hill the shorter teeth are easier to penetrate into the icy snow first then the longer teeth afterwards .. once the teeth are all in the snow , the teeth are used to prevent you from sliding backwards . therefore the longest tooth is the last or rear one which is the most important to prevent you sliding backwards also if you think of the crampons in the snow with the front of the skiboard ahead . you will see that the angle matches the angle of the steep slope
                            Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

I wouldn't mind just paying extra to get it all in one shot, haha. One part laziness, two parts convenience.
                              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Working...
                              X