Bill's New Fritschi Riser for 10x4 and 4x4 Skiboards - Field Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill's New Fritschi Riser for 10x4 and 4x4 Skiboards - Field Test

This has been a great season for backcountry skiboard innovation . Today I had the distinct pleasure of testing out what I think is a very cool new backcountry riser prototype . Bill here on the forum has designed a new low profile riser to which a standard medium length Fritschi binding can be attached . All the Fritschi model bindings have the same screw pattern for a given size model . The medium length version fits most boots other then the very large and very small boot sizes. There are also small and long versions that have a different screw pattern . I donated one of my old Fritschi bindings to Bill so he could figure out how to make a riser to work with it . His riser like the Spruce riser ,is compatible with the 10x4 insert pattern of the Spruce longboards , as well as the 4x4 pattern of Revel8 boards. Basically , what it does is allow a rider to attach a medium size Fritschi touring binding to the riser with machine screws and then attach the riser to their skiboard and immediately make their skiboard touring ready with a high end alpine touring release binding . I hope that Bill will share some of his pictures of how the binding riser is constructed as I think it is a very innnovative design . I will focus on how it performs in the field . Here is the binding riser attached to my Sherpa . It attaches with 4 screws just like a Spruce riser attaches . Weight is about the same as a Spruce riser /release system and the height of the boot above the skiboard (stack height ) is very similar , so those folks riding Spruce risers will be right at home . Bill has installed nice wide brakes on the Fritischi binding that fit my Sherpa nicely .

Ok let's get on with the test . Beautiful day for a backcountry tour .
    My buddy , Michael , is along with his Icelantic Scout direct mounted with a Fritschi binding as well .

Here is a comparison picture of Michael's "narrow" 140 cm Icelantic Scout and my fat 130 cm
    Sherpas both of us using Fritischi touring bindings.

Here is a picture of my Full Tilt boots in climbing mode in the Fritschi binding atop of Bill's nice riser .

Here is the boot locked and loaded for descent .

The riser and binding work great. Although the setup is heavier then my custom Jeff Singer designed two plate low riser Fritschi mounted Sherpa , I really don't notice the extra weight all that much . The Fritschi binding is very efficient and rather then picking up the skiboard with each step , the skiboard is just slid along with little resistance .. . some extra weight is not a deal breaker.

Here is a little video of me touring on the set up .

Michael heading up hill

I am a happy camper ...

Snow is crusty and very challenging today , but both of us make short order of the difficult first run descending in the trees to the left of this cliff ridden face . Michael loves his Icelantic Scout and I am super pleased to be on the Sherpa .

Lunch time by the lake ...

Bill's riser has a great crampon attachment system with super nice big plastic thumb nuts to attach the crampons . Didn't need to use the crampons today .. but nice to know that if the climb is icy , a nice crampon system is available.

We climb up for one more run .. and then head out by the lake which has not frozen yet

Heading back after another great day in the backcountry

Looking back over the lake ...

Final wrap up of this report .... Bill's backcountry Fritschi riser is super sweet !!!
    very nice job . Bill .. the machine work on the riser and the thought and care that went into it is amazing . I am returning it to you and I hope you will be able to join me on your invention in the backcountry during Shredfest !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

You are right Jack, Bill needs to post the pictures he previously shared with a few of us. Excellent example of his craftsmanship and creativity in developing the riser.

Looks like good early season conditions and warm weather. Thanks for sharing and getting us excited about backcountry days at Shredfest.

BTW:What was Michael wearing for pants? Looks more like shorts over liners and gators. Was it that warm out?
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
      You are right Jack, Bill needs to post the pictures he previously shared with a few of us. Excellent example of his craftsmanship and creativity in developing the riser.

Looks like good early season conditions and warm weather. Thanks for sharing and getting us excited about backcountry days at Shredfest.

BTW:What was Michael wearing for pants? Looks more like shorts over liners and gators. Was it that warm out?
      It was 50 degrees farhenheit out , today ! hot ! , you are right , he is wearing shorts over his long johns and gators.!
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

You guys are awesome. Had a guy ask me on the lift today if my skiboard bindings were AT. I said no, but some skiboarders were developing a system and testing it out. I had no revel8 cards or anything to give out, unfortunately.

Comment

Jack, you’ve been a busy fellow this weekend. If there was any question before, there’s no doubt now that you are officially skiboarding’s answer to Chuck Yeager. Great report, and thanks so much for encouraging the project and test-piloting the fritschi adapter.

In case folks are interested, here are some of the before pictures you and Slow referred to. One of the challenges with this was coming up with a way to support the long fritschi touring binding that was still low enough to keep a reasonable stack height, here’s the underside of the riser showing the bracing prior to installing the rubber interface:

This shows how the rubber bumpers were inlaid into the set-up:

…and here’s the finished riser with the rubber interface applied:

Detail of the crampon attachment studs:

Crampon set-up:

The finished set-up mounted on a pair of 120’s:

Comment

So I've never looked into the Fritschi bindings before, looks basically like a releasable with a pivoting toe, that connects via a beam to the heel, which you can lock in for a downhill decent?
            2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosAura View Post
              So I've never looked into the Fritschi bindings before, looks basically like a releasable with a pivoting toe, that connects via a beam to the heel, which you can lock in for a downhill decent?
              Yes, basically the Fritschi Alpine touring binding has a standard alpine release binding , with an adjustable height toe piece that allows the binding to be adjusted for both regular downhill ski boots and alpine touring boots with lug soles. The heel piece which is a standard alpine release heel piece is on a pivoting bar . that cleverly locks down with the same plastic locking piece that is used for a heel elevator for climbing . Once the bar is locked down the Fritschi performs just like a regular alpine release binding . The position of the heel piece is easily adjustable on the bar by an adjustment screw on the back of the bar . The standard medium size Fritschi fits most ski boot sole lengths .. there is also a large for folks with big feet and a small for the little feet folks . One cool feature of the Fritschi is that it is a fully functional ski area release binding in lock down mode and is easily adjustable to share skiboards/ bindings with other riders with a simple screw driver adjustment . Once the bar is released the heel is free and you can walk normally and climb using a multi position heel elevator . It is a full step in binding that can be equipped with brakes just like any step in binding . The binding , course , is not all you need to use it in touring mode. You also need to purchase skins for your skiboards or skis to climb or walk to provide traction . The Fritschi is lighter then most regular downhill ski bindings and is designed to be drilled into a ski using supplied plastic riser plates . What Bill has designed is a skiboard specific riser that allows the Fritschi to be permanetly attached to the riser and then transferred to insert equipped skiboards as desired , just like a Spruce riser/release system is used.
              Many downhill skiers are using Fritschi bindings as a one binding solution both for ski area and backcountry use . There are a couple of models . The high end models are beefier and have a higher din setting . For skiboarding the Fritschi Eagle the current lower end version is perfectly fine . Here is a you tube video with a skier review of one of the higher end models. The Fritschi is the most popular alpine touring binding .. there are other brands and types.

Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Bill I have a couple of questions that is not clear from the pictures.
                • How thick it the aluminium plate?
                • Did you rivet the plate to the rubber sheet?
                • Is the rubber higher in the area where the 4x10 goes or is it the same thickness everywhere?
                Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
                X