Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crampons & other backcountry questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crampons & other backcountry questions...

Hi there

Well here in Scotland we don't have many resorts, and the ones we have are either crap because they don't have enough snow or are totally overcrowded... So I was looking into doing some backcountry.
    Seeing as we don't usually get more than 1 foot of snow (where I live at least) I thought It might be cheaper purchasing a regular set of crampons (sorry I'm on a rather limited budget at the moment).

So the question is, will they work ok with my lightness (100lbs), or will I just sink in. Will I be a lot faster with snowshoes (thanks for giving me the link of the retailer jack), or will it be about the same. So many questions...

Been very cold tonight, about -4 just now at 23:00, and the forecast says there should be tons of snow by the end of the week... I am buzzing with excitement right now.

Thanks for being such a friendly, welcoming and supportive community!!!
    Last edited by Fast; 11-23-2010, 03:04 PM. Reason: Spelling fail
    Line Jedis
    Line Bullets
    '11 KTP's
    2xFF cams
    '11 silver receptors
    Full Tilt Booters

Hi Fast , keep the questions coming , so happy you are getting into the backcountry ... there is an active community , I think , in the Scottish mountains doing backcountry touring skiing and snowboarding , also touring skiboards have been used there as well , I actually bought my first wide crampons for skiboards from a shop in Scotland that was selling Rossignol Freeventures which were the precursors for the STC product I posted in one of the other backcountry threads. In low snow climes like Scotland , I think you have three choices for backcountry skiboarding , 1/ skinning up using a backcountry touring kit for your skiboard 2/ using snowshoes 3/ just climbing up on your ski boots and boot crampons . The icy and firm snow spots would make just using your ski boots themselves without any traction devices pretty dicey. So let's look at the advantages and disadvantages.. With boot crampons you get no flotation at all , you basically just have traction devices to aid you going up in slippery snow , any kind of powder and you will be sinking and plodding up the hill, what is called post holing , pretty miserable .. it would be ok if the snow is very firm .. The second choice would be the MSR Denail ascent or classic snowshoes I recommended. Those have very nice traction on the bottoms with spikey crampons , great for your scottish conditions and the flotation of the basic snowshoe without the flotation tails would be plenty fine for your weight in any kind of Scottish pow . I think a snowshoe like the Denali would be perfect for your conditions , you need a snowshoe that accepts wide boots in the toe like the MSR Denali , many snowshoes are not useful to use with skis.
    The final choice would be just skinning up with your own skiboard with a backcountry touring kit with ski crampons which would end up more costly and take a little learning to get used to . For your conditions I would recommend snowshoes as my best choice. Take a look at this You Tube vid of a typical Scottish backcountry day .. the telemark skier is using skins and the snowboarder is on snowshoes. Look at how the snowboarder stows his snowshoes and poles on his pack as he descends . That is what I would recommend for you.

Hope that helps ..

By the way , it looks like the Snowboarder is using Verts .. these are very simple cheap inexpensive snowshoes , lots of snowboarders use them for going straight up steep slopes. carrying their snowboards and they are a simple alternative to traditional snowshoes that might work in the Scottish conditions . 75 dollars US about 1/2 the cost of regular snowshoes.. just a plastic dish with crampons on the bottom that you attach to your boot. I have not used Verts myself but I hear for the right conditions they can be pretty sweet ..

http://www.verts.com/
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice!
      I'll probably do with crampons this year, or maybe ask Santa for a nice little pair of snowshoes.... Who knows.
      Just need snow now
      Line Jedis
      Line Bullets
      '11 KTP's
      2xFF cams
      '11 silver receptors
      Full Tilt Booters

Comment

you need to get into the scottish resorts more. tons of snow and only crowded if you follow the herds. absolutely loads of backcountry snow sliding to be had up in scotland.
        Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
        Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

Finally got the wanted snow, or at least 2" of it, but hopefully more to come. Walking up a hill in ski boots didn't feel too bad, and I haven't faceplanted it yet either. I wonder what the snow is like further up
          North... Oh well it doesn't really matter this year since I'm already going to Germany/Austria and then I go back to Scotland just to go back to France on my schools ski trip a week later. I wonder what skiing would be like after a season of skiboarding, but let's hope it improves my technique.
          But I suppose, the mor skiboarding the better
          Line Jedis
          Line Bullets
          '11 KTP's
          2xFF cams
          '11 silver receptors
          Full Tilt Booters

Comment

Working...
          X