Flatland Skiboard Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatland Skiboard Touring

As many of you know, I live on the flatlands of the prairies and over a 1,000 miles from a “real” mountain. But Jack’s passion for backcountry skiboarding caught my interest and I have been working with the BTK design team for the last number of months and have been buying backcountry gear that Jack has suggested on the forum in anticipation of the backcountry days at Shredfest.

Several times during the development of the BTK, Jack suggested I consider using the BTK to skiboard tour, just like others snowshoe tour on the flats. Bill also talked about doing the same when he gets some snow at his home.

Overnight we finally got enough snow to try some skiboard touring and to test the various equipment and clothing I have been accumulating this summer. My tour was not as picturesque as the terrain Jack gets to tour but it did let me learn how to use the equipment and work on my technique. Here is how my first tour went and what I learned. (I will post my observations on the equipment and clothing on separate threads.)

I woke up this morning to -5º Celsius (23º F), light winds and about 6 inches of light fresh powder on top of 2 inches that fell a few days ago.

I scrambled to get my gear together and I hiked out from my house while my neighbors took a second look to an odd sight as they shoveled snow off their driveways. My driveway would have to wait until I got back.

The hike was less than a hundred yards to a pond near our house where I locked into my BTK equipped Condors.

Once around the pond, I crossed the street to get into a school yard.

A few hundred yards later breaking trail in 6 to 8 inches of powder; I was at the edge of a small forest.

On the other side of the forest is a large open area with a number of ponds and a few small mounds. I was surprised to see a Canada goose, expecting it to have been well on its way to the southern USA or Mexico by now. Unfortunately the goose looked injured and will probably not make it.

I looped around the numerous ponds and climbed a number of the mounds to get the feel of climbing with and without the toe lever as a heel elevator. The grip the climbing skins provide was way beyond my expectations. But also to my surprise, the glide down hill with skins was less than I expected. I had to sit back to make sure I did not do a face plant. Maybe I was supposed to use the glide wax on them before I left?

The forested and open area with the ponds is Canadian federal government property and the location of one of the only two coin minting facilities in Canada. The flags in the background represent the countries that are supplied with coins out of the facility, including many of the coins in circulation in the USA. There is a good chance that a coin in your pocket came from here.

It was time to head back home thru the forest on another of many trails.

The distance I traveled was 3 miles in less than two hours. In that time, I learned some important touring lessons including:
    • Do NOT use a stainless steel water bottle – it freezes to your lips!
    • Do not walk fully upright - a slight bend at the knees keeps your toes from being pushed into the front of the boot and the back of the boot does not irritate the back of your leg at the calf muscle.
    • A ski pole is threatening enough to scare off big dogs.
    • Do not go thru slush with climbing skins – they freeze and then do not work. (duh!)
    • Follow the deer tracks – there are reasons (hidden branches, logs, stumps) they do not go in a straight line.
    • Pacing yourself is important – slow to go fast.
    • Use your arms / poles to help propel yourself – my arms are more spent than my legs from lifting / dragging the poles.
    • Do not over dress – it is a lot of work.
    • Sun glasses that fit to close to your face fog up.

It was a very good experience and a great work out. I encourage others to try flatland skiboard touring if you are unlucky like me and do not live near a ski resort. It will certainly get you into shape for when you do get to the resort.

With some luck, the weather will not go into the deep freeze and I will be able to get out a few more times before Shredfest.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

very nice report slow ! full width climbing skins really do not glide much at all ... here are a few suggestions for flat land touring ... if you can find some inexpensive skinnier climbing skins on sale you can make narrow climbing skins and these will allow you some grip and much better glide because more of the base is exposed.
    another option is to leave the skins at home and put blue cross country wax in the center portion of the board or the entire base of the board you can just rub it on .. this will give you enough grip and nice glide for the flats !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Regular ski boots are all wrong for this too. It looks like this kind of winter sport could really work for you Slow, so maybe a proper set of cross countery ski boots and little clip on toe clips? Jacks suggestion re cross country wax is dead on. http://www.braemarmountainsports.com...t=31&prod=1197
      I think the bindings are called SNS bindings.
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        Regular ski boots are all wrong for this too. It looks like this kind of winter sport could really work for you Slow, so maybe a proper set of cross countery ski boots and little clip on toe clips? Jacks suggestion re cross country wax is dead on. http://www.braemarmountainsports.com...t=31&prod=1197
        I think the bindings are called SNS bindings.
        Cross country skiing used to be a big thing for me , i had skinny long skis and boots that looked like running shoes and sns bindings.. , yeah it was fun but i got rid of all that stuff.. now if we rent a cabin and there is a snowy meadow , or I want to get some exercise out the door .. i just use the Condors with skins and my Full tilts just like Slow does... just fun to walk about and i can use my same boots for the resort , walking around on flats or climbing for the goods... the full tilts are pretty light .. i just unbuckle the top two buckles or even all three buckles and touring around on the flats on skiboards is no big deal and akin to snowshoeing , albeit with heavier boots .. .. sure you can get more glide and move faster with proper cross country gear especially on groomed cross country tracks but those skinny skis and running shoe like boots. are not so hot on any kind of real natural snow anyway ...
        Anyway , I want to get in shape for climbing big mountains anyway .. and what better way then using the same gear on the flats. that I will use to do approaches and climbs of big winter mountains. Folks in training for big summer hikes and climbs , go to the gym and do stair steppers with heavy packs .. I rather be out in nature with my "heavy" ski boots and touring set up to train .. !
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
        X