STC Snow Venture and Hagan Nanook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STC Snow Venture and Hagan Nanook

The design of the BTK was in part inspired by the presence on the market of various commercial products in Europe that allow touring on non release skiboard bindings. Both the Hagan Nanook and the STC Snow Venture are products in which a proprietary touring skiboard binding is drilled into a narrowish by Revel8 standards 99cm skiboard . What the BTK does is to modify a regular high performance Receptor skiboard binding and allow it to be used on any 4x4 insert equipped skiboard and was designed especially to be used on 110 cm Revel8 Condor which provides the most float and performance of any 4 x4 insert equipped skiboard.

Here are a couple of commercial videos of the STC Snow Venture and the Hagan Nanook which have a similar concept to the BTK binding . There are many improvements that the BTK offers over these commercial products. One difference is that the design of the BTK binding allows a 4cm ahead of center climbing position and a 4cm behind center descent position which is unique . The user just rotates the skiboard around at the top of the mountain .

The users in these videos use poles for descending . Users of the BTK are often experienced skiboarders who do not feel they need to use poles for the descent on their stable wide skiboards and the collapsible poles are stowed in the pack .

By the way the Snow Venture and the Hagan Nanook allow the use of any winter snow boots for their bindings whereas the BTK is designed for regular ski boots as well as hard shell snowboard boots. The BTK design team could have designed a binding to fit a variety of boots but we were interested at first in just providing the best binding for regular ski boots . The idea being that with large wide bodied skiboards such as the Condor , the user would want the optimum downhill performance that regular ski boots provided.

STC Snow Venture

Hagan Nanook
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1mnbITNvVs

(embedding disabled for this video )
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Looks like Hagan is discontinuing the Hagan Nanook for this season , so another touring skiboard is gone ...
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...49&topic=12071

Looks like the STC SnowVenture is still being produced .
    I was wrong and the binding does allow three binding positions a front position for climbing , a middle position and then a rear position for descent . I have found that on short skiboards , it is very efficient to have this front position for climbing , and less tiring on the rider to have a rear position for descent as we are mostly descending in soft snow all the time . The middle position is not essential .
    The STC SnowVenture binding is a proprietary hinged plate binding on which the skiboard binding is attached . This is similar to Alpine Touring bindings . The Hagan Nanook and the BTK binding designed by SBOL forum members are based not on a hinged plate but on telemark cables . The BTK binding allows moving from climbing to descent position by a unique property of just switching the postion of the boot in the binding .

Here is a diagram of how the STC SnowVenture binding works

On this page is a flash video showing how the binding position is changed
    http://www.stc-swiss.ch/details.html

Here is a picture of the STC SnowVenture

Here is a picture of the Hagan Nanook which is based on telemark cables like the SBOL Forum BTK. The Hagan Nanook binding does not allow varying binding position for ascent and descent and has one fixed position .

Remember both the Hagan Nanook and the STC SnowVenture require you to buy the skiboard and the proprietary binding together , you cannot get the binding and install it on your own skiboard. The major problem with the skiboards supplied with these products is that ,IMHO, they have severely limited flotation . The BTK concept allows a retrofit of a standard skiboard binding for touring and use on any 4x4 insert equipped skiboard which is unique in the design of bindings for skiboard touring . Most importantly it allows the Revel8 Condor to be used as a touring skiboard. The Revel8 Condor is the very first skiboard that can be used with a nonreleaseable skiboard binding that has flotation approaching that of a 180cm mid fat long ski . This is absolutely revolutionary in the design of touring skiboards. I mounted a touring binding on my Canon M7 99cm skiboard which has about the same flotation as the Hagan Nanook and the STC SnowVenture and that skiboard was horrible , just not enough float for soft backcountry snow for my 190 lbs body weiight plus heavy backcountry pack . . The Condor is absolutley LIGHT YEARS improved in terms of performance both for climbing and for descent .
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

For comparison sake here is a picture of the Backcountry Touring Kit concept on the Receptor skiboard binding in ascent mode

and in descent mode

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ad.php?t=10461
      Boards :
      Boots
      Bindings:

Comment

Kong Grimper

Another European touring skiboard , is the Kong Grimper. This touring skiboard is also a 99cm skiboard with a touring binding similar to the binding on the STC SnowVenture.
        Here are some pictures ..

Details of the binding , it slides forward for climbing and backward for descent
        and is a skiboard binding mounted on a pivoting plate and is drilled into the 99cm skiboard

Boards :
        Boots
        Bindings:

Comment

Gaspo B.I.S.S

Continuing our tour of commercial touring skiboards is the Gaspo B.I.S.S
          another 99 cm skiboard using a binding very similar to the Hagan Nanook binding and using telemark compression cables.

Details of skiboot in touring binding
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

Understanding the BTK design concept

One major improvement in my mind of the SBOL Forum designed BTK over the Gaspo and Hagan compression cable bindings is that the BTK more accurately duplicates the robust nature of a true telemark binding set up . The introduction of the toggle side arms and the straight bar across the top of the boot on climbing , creates a much more secure attachment for controlling the edging manuvers necessary on steep technical climbs .. remember telemark skiers control big fat long skis for descent with a free heel with all the edging force provided by the front piece into which the toe of the boot sits. the BTK concept duplicates this way of holding the toe securely without slop . The toggle assembly pivots as does the telemark cables as well giving a nice free motion to the BTK which duplicates a free pivot telemark binding in free pivot mode . I have caused pre release at the toe in difficult climbing manuvers when the toe is held in only by the front lever and bale and the rear heel is free to pivot with a compression cable .(this was my original design for a retro fit touring binding and duplicates the idea of the Nanook and the Gaspo binding ) It is much more secure to have the toe held in by a rigid front bar and side arms like a telemark binding with the lever positioned to the rear of the cables as in the current BTK design . Look at the picture of the BTK binding in action for ascent and look at the toe of the boot and see how much more securely it is held than in the Gaspo and Hagan binding designs. The magic of the BTK design is that every part is used for different purposes for climbing and descent just by rotating the boot around .. the toggle arms and straight bar which is used as the toe piece for climbing ,becomes the heel piece for descent . The front lever is used for a heel elevator for climbing and is used to lock the toe of the boot in for descent . Basically the BTK allows me to climb in a robust , sturdy free pivoting telemark binding 4cm ahead of center in an optimum climbing position and then when I reach the top of the mountain turn my boot around and immediately snap in , locked and loaded in a high performance Receptor non release skiboard binding set back 4cm for backcountry soft snow. I would much rather have the current BTK design rather than ANY of the bindings above and of course I would WAY PREFER my Condor to any of the narrow 99cm skiboards I would be forced to buy as a package deal with the other bindings. The BTK design was not to create a proprietary binding that had to be drilled into a skiboard like these other bindings. . but to retro fit a standard high performance Receptor binding to allow it to function as a touring binding . Users would not need to buy a whole new touring binding but instead just obtain retrofit parts to add touring functionality to their regular skiboard binding. The whole design of the BTK was a group project stimulated by suggestions by SBOL forum members as well as brainstorming by the BTK design team ., really a community wide effort ! Thanks to everyone who had suggestions and helped out !

Here is a video of a standard Telemark binding in action to give you an idea how the BTK duplicates the telemark binding functionality for climbing .

Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
              Looks like Hagan is discontinuing the Hagan Nanook for this season , so another touring skiboard is gone ...
              http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...49&topic=12071

Looks like the STC SnowVenture is still being produced .
              Ahh interesting on the Hagans, I never could get the binding to work for skinning with my Garmont Megarides, no matter what degree of tightness or looseness I went with. I guess I will hang on to them and maybe find some use for them.

The SnowVentures seem like they're a nice product I always wanted to try a pair. I contacted the company once and never got a reply, I wonder if they can be had in the US.

Maybe I'll have to try the BTK on my Alps for my local southern calif mountains.

thanks for the overview and updates on these boards.

Comment

Originally posted by destin View Post
                ..... Garmont Megarides,.......
                Maybe I'll have to try the BTK on my Alps for my local southern calif mountains.
                Hi Destin,, just FYI ... the design of the BTK as currently provided supports regular ski boots and hard shell snowboard boots .. but is not compatible with the wider toe of Alpine Touring boots like the Garmont Megarides. I think it can be made to work by using longer upper and lower bolts on the toggle assembly but we have not tried that yet,...I use Full Tilt Ski boots in the backcountry with the BTK instead of my Alpine Touring boots.
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                X