Telemark Bindings on Skiboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telemark Bindings on Skiboards

I have received a number of private messages over the years about the use of telemark bindings on skiboards , especially for backcountry use .

Here are some links concerning this question :

The first is a simple custom riser I devised for 10 x4 Spruce skiboards to mount telemark bindings .

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=4857

I discussed this with another rider who created his own custom riser and sent me pictures

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=5689

Some caveats about Telemark bindings on skiboards. Telemark bindings allow a free heel to climb using climbing skins , but you also have a free heel to descend which provides less control over your boards. On the descent the board can be turned telemark style with a bent knee and control of the board with the forefoot . In soft snow this style results in a tendency to dive the trailing skiboard and cause face plants unless the binding is set back further then you would on a regular skiboard binding . You can also steer the skiboard flat footed as you would a regular skiboard but because your heel is not attached you have to be careful about your balance as it is much easier to pitch forward and not be able to recover as opposed to a fixed non release skiboard binding. I find that it is a little hard to ride difficult backcountry snow especially telemark style with bent knees without the use of poles which help with side to side balance. The telemark stance is nice for fore and aft stability but is touchy side to side.

Descending on a Spruce 120 with telemark binding , telemark style without poles

Descending on a Summit 110 with telemark binding , telemark style with poles

ps . for myself .. I now use telemark technology to climb to the goods ( see the BTK thread ) but lock myself in with a standard non release skiboard binding for the descent .. best of both worlds in my opinion .
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.
Working...
X