Spruce 120's VS Twin Tip Skis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spruce 120's VS Twin Tip Skis

I was thinking and wondering why everyone is saying that the Spruce 120's and Sherpa's would be bad in the park when people ride longer twin tip skis in the park a lot? I'm guessing there is a good answer to this.
    Thomas

Revolt Cities
    Spruce Pro Primes
    Groove x1

A big reason why skiboarders who ride park chose skiboards over skis is the extra manueverability and low swing weight. It's just a different feel. The Sherpas are pretty heavy which makes them less ideal. The 120's would not be terrible park boards if you were ok with giving up the manueverability for the extra stability on landings, but with boards like the Revolts, KTPs, Condors, etc. there is not as much of a need for that.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by me3990 View Post
      I was thinking and wondering why everyone is saying that the Spruce 120's and Sherpa's would be bad in the park when people ride longer twin tip skis in the park a lot? I'm guessing there is a good answer to this.
      Another reason may be that many skiboarders in the park ride non-release bindings. The Sherpa and 120s require releasables which add weight.

BTW, are you going to make it to Asessippi on Saturday?
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
        BTW, are you going to make it to Asessippi on Saturday?
        No i can't, really really mad that i can't. Family doesn't want to go if we are already going in 2 weeks. Sorry.

Then how do people do park stuff on twin tips if they are heavier and longer and have releasable???
        Thomas

Revolt Cities
        Spruce Pro Primes
        Groove x1

Comment

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that many skiboarders seem to like non-release bindings on skiboards due to the lighter weight (and rigid coupling), so they stay with shorter skiboards (110 & less) that can be used with non-release bindings.

Then there are other riders that use release bindings on their skiboards. It comes down to personal preference.

Too bad you can not make it to Asessippi this weekend. Have fun when you do go.
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

i ask the same question a while back and i think one guy did try the 120 on park and he said it was ok. was that dave lyman??
            also our releasable is attached to a riser for better carving/manueverability so i figure it would a different feel when landing jumps.
            08' Spruce Sherpa 130/Pro-lite (STILL THE ONE)
            08/09 Dalbello Krypton Rampage

Comment

Mark Carraro is a very accomplished park rider and I believe he rides Spruce release bindings with good results.

If I'm not mistaken, the length limit for many skiboard competitions is 110 cm?

Comment

I just don't get why people would ride long skis in the park when it seems that shorter the board the better??? I'm not comparing 120's to boards shorter, i'm comparing 120's to twin tip 170's or so????
                Thomas

Revolt Cities
                Spruce Pro Primes
                Groove x1

Comment

Again, it comes down to personal preference. If you were to talk to a group of twinnies, they'd probably ask why anyone would want to ride skiboards in the park which are harder to land jumps on and can be harder to balance on rails. Both skiboards and twin-tip skis have their pros and cons. The 120's are kind of in the middle there. They're still considered skiboards, but they lack the same maneuverability, and they don't give you the option of using non-release bindings.
                  RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

When people talk about park, there are a lot of different variables...

Generally when skiboarders talk about good park boards, we are talking about boards that are good for the parks that people actually ride - usually ones with a lot of decent or so rails, and a handful of jumps in the 20-40' range. This is the park that 99% of everyone gets to ride, and in these conditions, shorter, wider boards allow more freedom, less swing weight, and are generally more 'fun'.

Longer boards and skis can of course be used in these kinds of parks, but you're dealing with a lot of extra real estate that gets in the way. When skiers talk about good park skis, they seem to have the notion that everyone gets to ride 70'+ jumps every day. When you are talking about things of this scale, skis of course will have the advantage of being more stable. At this point, since you have so much more time in the air, the extra swing weight isn't as much of an issue.

When looking at what makes a good park board, factor what parks you are talking about as well as what you want from your boards. If your park has 80' jumps that you plan on hitting every day, longer boards may be the way to go, but if you plan on doing a lot of tech rail tricks, shorter boards are probably more up your alley.

Comment

Yeah, in the 20-40 range, my 94cm boards are the best thing ever

but shure thing You can ride anything, anywhere if one wishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UaE_LWDDWk

Comment

It's a trade off between the quick feel and the stability.
                        I think there is a lot to be said for the added stability.
                        But to each his own.
                        Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
                        Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

I'm a big fan of my 120s. I recently moved up from 99s and the difference in landing makes up for the added weight in my opinion. I haven't had to focus on my landing very much, so I can focus more on perfecting grabs and such.

Comment

Working...
                          X