First time on skiboards wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time on skiboards wow!

First quick background, I'm a pretty athletic outdoor guy, climbing, mountain biking, running, rollerblading for fitness etc.

I'd dabbled a very few times with skis over the years, always feeling discouraged over how much time it seemed would be required to get past being a blatant beginner. I'm in SoCal so it's not like I can walk out my door to jump on skis.

Finally I decided I was going to have to invest the time to get good on skis, driven by a desire to use them in the sierra backcountry eventually.

When reading a mountaineering book a gentleman mentioned about using rossignol free ventures as approach skis....that was all I needed

I investigated those, which now seem to effectively be these

http://www.stc-swiss.ch/

discovered similar skis like hagan nanooks, that led to similar models and learning about skiboards in general. They sounded perfect, fast learning curve, lighter, great for those with skating background.

I picked up a pair of Summit Nomads with release bindings and some Hagan Nanooks (they come with bindings and skins).

Shortly after I discovered this site, and after posting a quick question on how to center the boot over the ski, immediately answered (thanks again)!

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...6652#post96652

and soaking up as much as I could from all the great info here, as well as studying and printing much of the new rider faq....

I was off to Mammoth for two days, on probably one of the best weekends in years up there.

All I can say is the skiboards surpassed my wildest expectations, and everything I've read about them was quite true for me!!

I was able to immediately ski, skate and use them quite handily. On the first day I had no problem going down blue/black runs, and probably could have done a black diamond if I'd wanted to. I had very few falls and was pleasantly surprised to find even those were a bit better than with skis do to the shortness of the boards.

I am so stoked! And can't wait to get further into the sport.

I'm already eyeing some Revolt 105s w. release bindings, as a possible new all mountain board (I am 6ft 155 lbs).

I'm also considering still another sierra backcountry board that I can do some Touring on, since I suspect my 99cm hagan nanooks aren't going to work so well in the kind of deep powder I want to get into.

That one's more of a toughy to choose since I want an AT like binding and something that ideally can fit in other skiers' skinning tracks, maybe Summitt 110s with Frtischi Freeride Bindings, not sure if they'll handle pow well enough though.

Anyway getting off track, main thing I wanted to say was thank you so much! for this site, and to the helpful forum members.
    Last edited by destin; 01-28-2010, 08:34 PM. Reason: add about the faq

Welcome to the fantastic world that we thrive in. Trust me buddy it only gets better every time you go, I have been boarding for a long time now and I have yet to find the limits of this truly awesome sport.
    2010 KTPs
    R8 Receptor NR Bindings
    Salomon Gun Boots

Comment

Sounds like you want to do what jjue is always doing. Take a look at http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=9333, and some of his other posts. He uses condors with some modifications for climbing the hill, the pictures he posts of his adventures make it really clear that he's enjoying every moment of his backcountry adventures.

Comment

What kind of mod does he use with his Condors?
        2010 KTPs
        R8 Receptor NR Bindings
        Salomon Gun Boots

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyBoards View Post
          What kind of mod does he use with his Condors?
          I use a Revel8 Receptor skiboard binding that has been modified with telemark cables, climbing bar, ski crampons and skins for use with my Condors

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=9333

Destin .. great that you are getting into the backcountry ! I have used a variety of different skiboards to access the backcountry including Fritschi mounted Summit 110's , Summit Maruaders, Spruce 120's and Spruce Sherpas , I have used telemark bindings on Skiboards , also have carried skiboards using snowshoes.. as well as my most recent touring skiboard binding . which is somewhat similar to the binding idea on the Hagan Nanook but able to be used with a standard skiboard binding that can be used on a variety of different skiboards...

All the ways of using skiboards in the backcountry are great .. the most important thing is find a way to hoof your skiboards up the hill and they will be an immense joy on the way down !
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

destin,

Good to hear it went well for you. Jack will get you into the backcountry in no time.

Not sure if you are aware of Shredfest 2 coming up in a month in North Lake Tahoe. There are even a couple of days sheduled for BC. Check out this thread for details. http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=9165

Hopefully you can join us.
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

thanks for the replies.

Shredfest looks neat I'll have to see if I can make any of that, I'd love to ski around Tahoe.

Originally posted by jjue View Post
              Destin .. great that you are getting into the backcountry ! I have used a variety of different skiboards to access the backcountry including Fritschi mounted Summit 110's , Summit Maruaders, Spruce 120's
              Oh very cool, I just noticed you're the one who posted this review as well of the Summit Marauders

http://www.skiboardreview.com/murauder.html

I'm thinking of going with those with Fritschi bindings to start, because at least initially, I want to be able to use an existing skin track with other skiers, as you mention in the review. The Fritschi's seem heavy but great usability wise, for now I'm fine with that tradeoff and I've found it's kind of hard to go too wrong with black diamond products.

What you say in the review about the Sherpa sounds ideal, for times where using an existing track isn't much of a concern.

Anyway don't want to hijack my own thread too much, I might start another thread with a few Touring / Backcountry questions I haven't been able to answer yet.

fun stuff thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by destin View Post
                ... I might start another thread with a few Touring / Backcountry questions I haven't been able to answer yet.

fun stuff thanks again.
                Destin , I will start another thread with some answers , go ahead and ask me on the other thread ...
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Destin,

Oh, great. Another guy who makes me feel like I took the short bus to the resort. Blacks on day 1. I spent 3 straight days on the bunnies (lifetime snowboarder). I took so many lift runs they named a chair after me. Ha ha. Those were some of the best days of my life.

The good natured joking aside - welcome. We are very glad you are here. Actually, we've been waiting for you. Pull up a chair, sit down and have a cold one. The skiboarding is good. The people are great.

One piece of advice - trust whatever I say.
                  "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Working...
                  X