No announcement yet.

Getting started in the park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no expert, but still, here's my 2 cents.

Kinda logical and related to confidence, but still... if you're already going for smth (jump) don't change your mind half-way through. It never ends well.

Start with simple jumps and get comfortable with air-time (grabs, moving and adjusting your body mid-air etc). Get casual enough, that you can land also some sketchy jumps without any problems.

As for mental aspect, just try to think "the hell with it, what do i have to lose" (and don't think long enough to actually answer that question). After first try at a new jump, subsequent jumps are always easier. After first fall that you don't really get hurt, it gets even better. On the other hand, hard falls, spoil the fun for a bit, but nothing you can't get over with with sheer (stupid) bravery.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyRingo84 View Post
      Excellent point. Probably the best advice I got this year was from J-Park when he told me that if you have any hesitation at all, don't do it. If you try to hit a rail or a jump slowly you're a) not hitting it the way it was meant to be hit, therefore you're fighting AGAINST the obstacle rather than using it and b) probably not balanced and therefore more likely to eat snow.
      Totally!
      2010 KTP
      2010Receptors
      2011 Full Tilt Hot Doggers

www.myspace.com/damnthedoorisclosed

Comment

My first park feature was a small box. To me, it seemed less scary than a jump, I wasn't leaving a solid surface and if I fell off the box, I didn't have far to fall. It was a bit strange, I came in a bit slow and the box itself slowed me down even more, but I survived! Jumps are next on my list!
        If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
        www.GetFitnessFast.com
        www.FastFitShake.com
        www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
        '07 BWP's
        2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
        Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Another thing (mentally). If you're going to ride a box or a rail...the slower you go, the longer you are on there and the more likely the lack of friction is going to throw you off. Hit it a little faster and you're on there for a shorter time.
          2008 Revolt "Trees" with Blue Groove X1's
          2007 BWPs with Line FreeFlex

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

Thanks Jonny, I did learn my lesson after a couple of "slow" attempts. A little bit of extra speed helped it be a smoother ride. The placement of the one I went on was off to the side, so it was a bit difficult to get some speed before I got to it. I had to dodge other park features to get to it. They, thankfully, put the smaller features out of the way of the bigger, more popular, ones. It was a great, easy, first taste a "true" park feature. I can't wait for our next trip when I have real boards and my comfort level increases and I can try some bigger features!
            If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
            www.GetFitnessFast.com
            www.FastFitShake.com
            www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
            '07 BWP's
            2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
            Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

It's all about confidence. Confidence wins the trick. Get psyched up on any attempt and approach with a game plan. When you move in on a feature unsure of yourself and second guessing the decision, your focus will be thrown. Perform the trick over and over in your head and even stand on the snow with the correct foot placement and stance. This way, when you approach a box, jump, etc... you are a lot more sure of yourself and can approach with little or no fear. Even with a failed attempt, you'll still have the focus to try again. Confidence, confidence, confidence.
              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Working...
              X