Getting started in the park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started in the park

How does one get started doing tricks? I've never done any (just ridden machine-groomed green and blues, not even diamonds).

What are the best tricks to start with, and how do you psyche yourself up to try anything???

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

i'm right with you bro! I've only been out 3 times. still trying to get comfortable jumping on the boards.
    '11 DLP
    '10 Condor / Black Zero Pro
    '10 KTP
    Journey boards and bindings
    '09 Tansho / FF-CAMS (GF's)
    Line Five-O (GF's)
    Groove AF1 / Groove cheapy's
    and not to forget my beloved first boards... Crazy Blades!!!!
    A big ass PA system, so lets throw a f*cking party!
    www.f1rstclasscitizen.com

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

Originally posted by xxxander View Post
      i'm right with you bro! I've only been out 3 times. still trying to get comfortable jumping on the boards.
      It can take a while, despite what people say about being able to get up and running the first day. I wish there were lessons at hills devoted to skiboards (or "Snowblades" as some still call them).

....but then again, I'd hate to see the sport go mainstream like snowboarding!

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
      Bindings
      Other
         Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

This thread may help get you started:
        http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=6022
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Well what I do is I just force myself to attempt things that I'm not capable of, balls and tenacity go a long way when it comes to things like this. I psyche myself up by watching Henrick Harlaut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tCdrJYiJh4

I started with grabs, crossing my skis, and stradling my legs (spread eagle.) I had to get the mindset that I am gonna fall but I know I'm gonna fall but I'm gonna try it anyways (at least when I moved onto spins). I also got some advice to go to a trampoline gym to practice flips and what not which I did today. Some1 on this forum whos name I forgot suggested that I armor up which I'm probably going to do because I fall about 5-15 times everytime I go ski boarding due to my numerous pathetic attemps at performing aerial maneuvers that I'm not capable of lol.
          Revel8 Revolt "city" (lite riser release bindings)
          Revel8 Rumspringa "Mary Jane"
          "No guts No glory" my skiboarding motto
          Real Age: 20
          "I value my life more than a helmet" - nolhay

Comment

I'm right there with you. I've been riding blues and blacks for years on regular skis but leaving the ground is an entirely different monster. This year I've mostly just been trying to get comfortable on small little jumps and with just being in the park (like getting used to the steep landings on major jumps).
            2008 Revolt "Trees" with Blue Groove X1's
            2007 BWPs with Line FreeFlex

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

Aint nothin to it but to do it...
              2010 KTPs
              R8 Receptor NR Bindings
              Salomon Gun Boots

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyBoards View Post
                Hahaha true that

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyBoards View Post
                  Hahaha true that

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyRingo84 View Post
                    I'm right there with you. I've been riding blues and blacks for years on regular skis but leaving the ground is an entirely different monster.
                    I never seem to have an issue leaving the ground......its coming back down that always gets me

Comment

I've been going to Tenney Mountain in NH, because halfdays cost $15 and the mountain is beautiful, but they have an okay, very small terrain park great for learning as well. I've gotten brave enough that I can fly off the big jump without a lot of stalling, and land 9/10 times! It really is quite awesome. These boards have given me a ton of confidence ...

Now I wanna try tricks. But I ain't got health insurance, and I ain't got armor under my jacket. It's pretty late in the season, and I can always WAIT until next season, but waiting is something I've been doing all this time ... it would be beneficial to accomplish a decent trick before I round off the season. Any tricks that involve balance, finding your center, that would be a good thing to finish the season off with, that I could start the next season with?

Comment

Originally posted by koneco View Post
                        I've been going to Tenney Mountain in NH, because halfdays cost $15 and the mountain is beautiful, but they have an okay, very small terrain park great for learning as well. I've gotten brave enough that I can fly off the big jump without a lot of stalling, and land 9/10 times! It really is quite awesome. These boards have given me a ton of confidence ...

Now I wanna try tricks. But I ain't got health insurance, and I ain't got armor under my jacket. It's pretty late in the season, and I can always WAIT until next season, but waiting is something I've been doing all this time ... it would be beneficial to accomplish a decent trick before I round off the season. Any tricks that involve balance, finding your center, that would be a good thing to finish the season off with, that I could start the next season with?
                        Which boards do you have?

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                        Bindings
                        Other
                           Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Originally posted by koneco View Post

Rails: Backside 270 off.
                          Jumps: 360.
                          Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
                          Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

Start out with some small boxes and jumps.
                            If you attempt something you need to be confident, so start out slow and build some confidence.
                            I went from those minor boxes to rails and 15ft jumps in about 3 days of skiboarding!
                            2010 KTP
                            2010Receptors
                            2011 Full Tilt Hot Doggers

www.myspace.com/damnthedoorisclosed

Comment

If you attempt something you need to be confident
                              Excellent point. Probably the best advice I got this year was from J-Park when he told me that if you have any hesitation at all, don't do it. If you try to hit a rail or a jump slowly you're a) not hitting it the way it was meant to be hit, therefore you're fighting AGAINST the obstacle rather than using it and b) probably not balanced and therefore more likely to eat snow.
                              2008 Revolt "Trees" with Blue Groove X1's
                              2007 BWPs with Line FreeFlex

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

Working...
                              X