X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Guide to Skiboards Cliff-Dropping

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Chris, welcome.

With your experience it might be nice to write up a quick guide to dropping cliffs on skiboards for the forum. Stuff like hints, tips, conditions, picking terrain, technique, take offs, landings. I presume it has to different to landing off kickers and moguls?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cliff drop 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	245276

Name:	cliff drop 2.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	245275

Skiboards Cliff Dropping

Here’s an animated drawing approximating how to land cliffs drops in lots of powder. From my experience, one should dig their heels into the slope of the landing, so that your skiboards are perpendicular to the slope. Make sure you start your landing at a steep part of the cliff as shown. Attempt to maintain a perpendicular position of your skiboards against the slope to slow down your drop. Once much of your drop has been absorbed, you will feel yourself ‘landing it’ - bringing your skiboards evermore parallel with the slope as you go.

Also, you can land the cliff drop and continue braking with the heels of your skiboards to decrease your stopping distance. This is really essential in forests, allowing for cliff drops that only skiboarders, rather than skiers, can accomplish very safely.

Start with small drop-offs of just a few feet and any degree of slope. As you get the handle of this work your way up to larger drops of any degree of steepness. You will feel awesome once you get some air. If you keep at this over a number of years cliffs of 15 to 20 feet will feel very comfortable. You can take it further to about 35 feet (maybe some of you can drop something higher). But I found that was as far as I wanted to take it. Sometimes at that height you just end up landing in hole you just created for yourself LOL. You can further build your cliff-dropping skills by taking a run off the cliff to land farther away. Also, as you get better, you will be more adept at landing on various steepnesses of slopes and in less powder.

The second drawing just shows the kind of drops to avoid, especially when starting out. A skier could more easily land this drop if it’s not too big due to the generous length between their foot and the tail of their ski. However, this would be very difficult to land on skiboards, unless you are extremely accurate with your landing.

All the best to everyone and enjoy mastering the basics of Cliff-Dropping - just sheer awesomeness.

Cheers
    Attached Files

Comment

Chris,

Do you try to "pop" off the edge, or just drop?

And,

How do you reconcile braking with the heels against landing in the backseat?
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
        Chris,

Do you try to "pop" off the edge, or just drop?

And,

How do you reconcile braking with the heels against landing in the backseat?
        Hi Bad Wolf

When it comes to large cliffs, I will stop, search for the landing, envision the landing in my mind and then drop.
        If I know the terrain well I usually don't stop, but ski with velocity - sometimes going fast over cliffs.

To anyone just starting out or with minimal experience cliff-dropping, I highly recommend stopping at the edge of the cliff and carefully planning your landing before you actually drop. For cliff dropping on skiboards of 100cm or more it's best to set your bindings as far back as possible so you can ski on your heels easier.

As for landing in the backseat, sometimes you will land on your BUM. LOL That happens, but it will happen a lot less with lots of experience. I angle the tips of my skiboards upwards so the tails are down when I do my drops. I imagine my skiboards as really big feet breaking my fall into a snowbank. As this is happening, I keep my balance and remain upright. It happens so fast that I don't even think about how I landed it. Your body learns how to do this stuff automatically after years of experience. It becomes somewhat like walking, running, writing or typing where you've done it so much that you're on automatic pilot.

Cheers

Comment

Fattest Skiboards Ever Built ---- Possibly

Originally posted by LYK View Post
          Jesus, these sound like monsters! How do they ride?
          Do the wide shovels get in the way at all? What about edge transistions with such a wide waist? Any issues for traversing with such a wide board? Ive always wonder why 160-170mm seems to be a limit for skis and skiboard shovel widths, but your boards are blowing these figures right out of the water!
          Please post some pics and videos!

Here's some pics of one of two pairs of Ultra-Fat Skiboards I built.

Dimensions: Tip 183mm Waist: 153mm Tail: 169mm Length: 110cm

The Dimensions can also be seen in the pics. Cheers all

Name:	fsb 2.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	245289Click image for larger version

Name:	fsb 3.jpg
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	245290Click image for larger version

Name:	fsb 4.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	245291Click image for larger version

Name:	fsb 5.jpg
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	245292Click image for larger version

Name:	fsb 6.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	245293

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Here's some pics of one of two pairs of Ultra-Fat Skiboards I built.

Dimensions: Tip 183mm Waist: 153mm Tail: 169mm Length: 110cm

The Dimensions can also be seen in the pics. Cheers all

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3883[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3884[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3887[/ATTACH]

I am curious to see the photos but I am unable to open them.
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I almost clicked on the "Haven't skied/snowboarded since" but I don't want to limit myself.

I started snowboarding in 8th grade and fell in love. My junior I picked up skis (I have been a lifelong rollerblader and this just seemed logical). I have a deep love for all types of snowsliding.

I sold my snowboard and skis and have been exclusively skiboarding this season, now a sophomore in college.

However, I got my old skis back from my friend who didn't use them. I may try them out again to see how I feel about long skis vs. boards. I also might harvest the bindings and create my own riser setup so I have a ski boot option in my arsenal in addition to my softboot setup.

I love skiboarding, but I think that snowboarding/skiing could still have a place in my winter sports arsenal. More experimentation will tell...

EDIT: Stole the bindings. Tried to build a riser. Failed. Still haven't skied/snowboarded since

Comment

Originally posted by joshmcintyre View Post
                how I feel about long skis vs. boards.
                They will feel HEAVY haha

Comment

Skiboarder 4lyf

My first Winter sport was Snowboarding, I've tried it for one day and got nothing but bruises. The following season, I bought a pair of skiboards because, when i searched up "easiest downhill winter sport" Online, skiboarding popped up. I twisted my Ankle the first time, because, i thought i could do blue runs right from the get go, and i didn't know how to fall yet. I caught my edge and twisted my foot around... but i got back up on that horse, as soon as i was able to walk again. took me a few months too. this time, i tried the bunny hills first, and rapidly progressed to double blacks all in one season. Ever since then, i've only ever skiboarded. and probably will never try anything else.

Comment

"I haven't tried skiboarding yet but I'm excited to"

I'm looking forward to learning more of the basics, in order to get straight to the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by solaceiam View Post
                      My first Winter sport was Snowboarding, I've tried it for one day and got nothing but bruises. The following season, I bought a pair of skiboards because, when i searched up "easiest downhill winter sport" Online, skiboarding popped up. I twisted my Ankle the first time, because, i thought i could do blue runs right from the get go, and i didn't know how to fall yet. I caught my edge and twisted my foot around... but i got back up on that horse, as soon as i was able to walk again. took me a few months too. this time, i tried the bunny hills first, and rapidly progressed to double blacks all in one season. Ever since then, i've only ever skiboarded. and probably will never try anything else.

My story is practically the same.. I skied for a bit, and tried snowboarding. HATED it! Since i stood sideways only and felt trapped inside a box with my feet tied down to a wooden plank. Rented some snow blades and had a great time until i fell and my ankle sprouted a golfball. It was painful but didn't discourage me to by some Line skiboards. From then on, i mastered the art of skiboard falling and never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by ducster View Post
                        My story is practically the same.. I skied for a bit, and tried snowboarding. HATED it! Since i stood sideways only and felt trapped inside a box with my feet tied down to a wooden plank. Rented some snow blades and had a great time until i fell and my ankle sprouted a golfball. It was painful but didn't discourage me to by some Line skiboards. From then on, i mastered the art of skiboard falling and never looked back.
                        Same here. I keep thinking about getting another snowboard, but then I have to wait for a snowboard buddy to strap in at the top of the lift and I think, "Maybe later.". I bought a set of Canon M9's with Bomber Elite 1's for $150 to follow my then 5-yr-old as he learned to ski and have yet to get on a snowboard again. That was 4 yrs ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                        171cm/190lbs
                        Current Favorites:
                        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                        Other boards I'm trying:
                        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

I just don't do normal. I do what works for me.

I have not been on skis again since I got on skiboards. Sometimes I toy with the idea of trying skis again, but then I think that I do not need them where I are. There is no guarantee for me, that I'll ski better, be faster, be safer or whatever if I get on skis again.

I do toy with they idea though, to just give telemarking a go for the experience.

However I do plan to go ski-biking and snow-scooting this this season. It seems to have resurgence in Europe and quite a number of resorts in Europe are now ski-bike friendly.
                          Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                            I just don't do normal. I do what works for me.
                            However I do plan to go ski-biking and snow-scooting this this season. It seems to have resurgence in Europe and quite a number of resorts in Europe are now ski-bike friendly.
                            This gets a big "thumbs up" from me! Ski-bike and snow-scoot friendly resorts seem to be fewer and farther between on this side of the world. The fact that my primary ride (the Trikke Skki) gets lumped in with the bikes is the main reason I took up skiboarding in the first place, so I could expand my resort options.
                            Sticky Icky Ickys (I think I'm in love )
                            Spruce 120's (they served me well)
                            Trikke Skki

Comment

Originally posted by Ukuvox View Post
                              This gets a big "thumbs up" from me! Ski-bike and snow-scoot friendly resorts seem to be fewer and farther between on this side of the world. The fact that my primary ride (the Trikke Skki) gets lumped in with the bikes is the primary reason I took up skiboarding in the first place, so I could expand my resort options.
                              In the Andorran resorts i pretty much see one or other variation of it everytime I am on the slopes - bikes, trikes, scootes & foxes. One can rent them in the resorts as well.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
                              Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                              Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                              Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
                              X