Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been skiing since I was 3 and started skiboarding 3 years ago ( I'm 17 ).
    I didn't buy a new set of skis so for the past two years I have been only ski boarding and occasionally snowboarding. Skiboards are great, they can turn fast, they are great in glades, and you kind of get used to the lack of stability. I met up with some of my friends this season at Killington. They are very good skiers. On skiboards I was just a bit slower than they and I was pushing my boards (EMP's) close to the limit. My friend let me borrow an extra pair of skis for a day and oh man. I could rip. Skis are a lot more stable and I was skiing faster than my friends with out pushing the skis. So while skiboards are loads of fun, I like cruising at high speeds without having to worry about how fast I can stop and having to be centered at all times, or feeling like I am at the board's limit. So I think I will buy a set of skis.

Snowboarding is a blast and I can go down some blacks now. It hurt while you are falling but you catch on pretty quickly. Turning on a board is a unique and different feeling than skis or skiboards. For what ever reason the arches of my feet always start to hurt though?

Comment

I snowboarded for 17 years and within that time early on I skated (aggressive inline) for 4 1/2 years. Finally after years of my friend trying to get me on them I put on skiboards this past January. I haven't even looked at any of my snowboards since. I have no desire to ever snowboard again and no desire to ever put on skies. I am a skiboarder now and forever. Now, since I started skiboarding I am back on skates as well. I skiboard because I skate on the snow. I don't need any other snow sport to give me the thrill and love that skiboarding gives me. Ride on!
      I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

my friend's family would often go to Boston Mills in Ohio, where I'd rent because we didn't want to spend money on new skis or all that jazz when we only went once a weekend. On the back of the lift tickets was a form to win things that my mom and friend's mom would fill out, because they didn't ski ... just waited for us to be finished, those saints. And once mom won some skiing package. New skis, boots, etc. etc., but of course she didn't ski except on the rare occasion. So we decided to trade in the stuff she won right there for some snowblades, which were not unpopular back in 1999. I got new blades, new boots, and my sister got a very nice jacket. My friend then decided to buy snowblades as well. So I was a snowblader/skiboarder from then until this year almost exclusively, but I broke and tried snowboarding ... and actually it was after the second day snowboarding I decided to stop paying $50 a night at Gunstock and just buy some new boards.

Comment

I love skiing and skiboarding, but prefer skiboarding by an absolute mile!
          My first time on any snowsliding device was last season with my schools ski trip. Loved skiing. When I got home I saw a friend of mine slide about a hill on some 60cm salomon snowblades. They looked totally awesome, so I did some research, and ended up here. I
          Would have ordered from SBOL but didn't really have the money, so I got some line Jedis off ebay. I went skiboarding twice in my local indoor slope so far, and I'm lovin' it
          Line Jedis
          Line Bullets
          '11 KTP's
          2xFF cams
          '11 silver receptors
          Full Tilt Booters

Comment

Went skiing for 6 years on long skis. Tried skiboards my 7th year and in a couple of hours, I had all of my friend's jaws on the ground from what I was able to do. When we went to the terrain park, all my snowboarding friends could do a grab and my skiing friends could only do the same, but when I was doing 360's like it was natural they couldnt believe it. Skiboarding is without a doubt the easiest sport to learn and most fun to try. The two questions I have ever gotten about them are "Don't they make you go slower?" and "Are those stable when riding at fast speeds?" to which I respond, I can ride fast like most skiers and boarders and I havent noticed any instability, so no to the first and yes to the second.
            KMARTsoup
            2010 Revolt "Trees"
            2009 Snowjam 90's
            2010 Technica Phoenix 90 boots

Comment

Originally posted by KMARTsoup View Post
              The two questions I have ever gotten about them are "Don't they make you go slower?" and "Are those stable when riding at fast speeds?"
              I too skied on traditional skis for years. When I try Skiboards I have not looked back since. The only time I use traditional skis is when I swap my skis on the slopes with others so they can try my boards out.

My favorite response to those two questions is telling people to ride with me.... They get their answer when I go just as fast (if not faster) then they do and do so in a much more comfortable and stable manner.

Comment

I've been a skier for about 7 years with a bit of skiboarding thrown in now and again using an old set of SRX400's I picked up cheap a few years back. I've been a skater for longer (inline hockey and aggressive mainly) and immediately loved skiboarding the first time I tried it. However, up to this point I've never spent the whole time on them because the 400's always felt a bit lacking.

This year I've bought some KTP's, so I have the feeling things will be different from now on!

Comment

I feel like i should comment again, after my last season i probably spent 80% on skiboards and 20% on skis, Mainly using the ski's for off piste and occasionally when going out for long runs in the park. (but my salomon snowblades don't really count) haha
                  Unless you risk it, you don't know what it is.
                  *Proud designer of the SBOL hoodie*

Comment

Well, I learned to ski at the age of 3 and skied up until I was 16, then I tried skiboarding on my bros old Line 98cm MNPs. As soon as I tried it, it was instant love. On some old skiboards that are nowehere near todays level of sophistication. Between the ages of 13 and 16 I also learned to snowboard, and I can safely say that I would rather skiboard than either ski or snowboard.

Recently I moved to Vail, Colorado for the 11-12 season and was using my MNPs on the mountain here. I determined they are DEFENITELY not enough to cope with all the terrain and varied condtions that Vail has to offer. So this past weekend I tried skiing again, on a pair of 169cm Nordica Enforcers.

Long story short, it sucked. Even though I have skied my entire life up to a few years ago, getting back on skis after skiboarding was like going from a performance sports car to a jalopie beater. So until later this month I will still be riding my MNPs, because I would rather just limit myself to the groomers at Vail for a few more weeks than have to suffer through riding skis ever again. Later this month, however, I will be getting my new Rockered Condors, and I am supremely confident that I will not be left behind on the mountain again. Come powder, groomers, or moguls, I know my Condors will perform, and I haven't even ridden them yet.
                    2016 Spliffs - Stiff Spliff Sticks!
                    2015 Blunt XLs - My go to All-Mountain All-Day boards
                    2014 Blunts - Short with Attitude
                    2013 KTPS - The Cambered Beasts
                    2012 Rockered Condors - The Big Pow Sticks
                    2002 Line MNP 98cm (Retired)
                    SnowJam 540 Softboot Bindings - My go to bindings
                    Original Rocker Softboot Bindings - For when my friends want to try
                    RVL8 Receptors - Red
                    Line FF Pros (Red - missing)
                    DC Status 2012 Softboot (Looking to Upgrade)
                    Nordica GTS6 Hardboot (Looking to Upgrade)

Comment

After skiing for twenty years I was a bit bored, not only with the activity, but with what seemed like an awful lot of kit to do a basically simple thing. Tried skiboards and never looked back. Now I await each new season with excitement again. Try skis again from time to time as the technology and format is improving dramatically, but skiboarding is where the FUN is.....
                      Crossbow (go to dream board)
                      Most everything else over time.
                      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                        I downhill skied for nearly twenty years until the day I rented a pair of Salomon Snowblades. I've been skiboarding ever since and have never considered for one moment to go back to skiing. I tried snowboarding once and hated it.
                        i am in the same boat. first learned how to ski at the age of 10, and skied until i too rented a pair or salomon snowblades and loved it. eventually i came to find SOBL and find out what skiboards are and won't ever go back to skis. being a hockey player, and on skates since i was 3, skiboards to me feel way more natural than skis, hence my love for them.
                        - I C U -
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Revel8 Revolt "City"
                        Bomber Elite I's

Comment

I skied many years ago and not that well. I learned to snowboard 3 years ago (in my early 40's) when my youngest daughter learned. She got frustrated and quit snowboarding - I was stubborn enough to push through the steep learning curve. I rode a lot in 3 years - 78 times on the mountain - and got to an advanced intermediate level of my snowboard.

Was at Whiteface Mountain (in Lake Placid, NY) mid-March 2011. My friend suggested I try a lesson on a set of Salomon blades - they have a "parallel from the start" program at Whiteface. Felt very comfortable on them and had a blast. Picked up a pair of used Head 94's for my daugher and a set for myself. Having such a blast on the skiboards that of the 23 times I have been out so far this year I have only been on my snowboard twice. In fact, it is for sale on craigslist. I have no desire to snowboard again.

Skiboards for me are very intuitive and fun. I have much more confidence in them on steep terrain. I have also found them to be more adaptable - I can vary my riding style so much to match the terrrain and snow conditions. In conditions that would have been trying on my snowboard I have been able to use my skiboards without a problem.

To be a bit dramatic maybe - skiboards have really changed my life - at least the part of it from mid-December to mid-March!
                          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I snowboarded for 3 years, it was OK at best I could do all Wachusett has to offer, but i had to focus on technique and not fun. When i outgrew my snowboarding stuff, i wanted to try some "trick skis". I did my homework, found SBOL, and now i can't picture myself doing anything other than skiboarding. Go Revel8!

Comment

I learned to ski downhill on full length skis when I was 12. I spent an entire winter skiing every weekend with the Ski School at Steven's Pass in Washington. I mastered the skis and was riding every trail on the mountain including the back side. I rented a pair of Solomon Snowblades one time just to try them out and enjoyed them so much I bought some K2 Fatty Snowblades. I wanted to get back out on the slopes after living in Louisiana for the past 5 years and I had heard the term Skiboards before and when I found SBOL I was instantly hooked and ordered a set of Rockered Condors. I can't imagine going back to skiing especially with the new Snowboard bindings available now.

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                                I downhill skied for nearly twenty years until the day I rented a pair of Salomon Snowblades. I've been skiboarding ever since and have never considered for one moment to go back to skiing. I tried snowboarding once and hated it.
                                Hah. I'm so hopeful that my experience will mirror yours. It worries me a little that so many here seem to primarily have been snowboarders rather than alpine skiers.

I took a half day snowboard lesson with some buddies about 10 years ago at Bachelor and was just miserable the whole time. Granted, I was nursing a pretty good hangover - but still, it just seemed like it would have been torture regardless. I felt like a prisoner with both feet attached to a single plank. The worst was trying to get across flat spots. So awkward. I ended up putting my skis back on later in the day and wondering why in the world I'd bothered.

Comment

Working...
                                X