Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for riding my new Revolts

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice from you guys for the new Revolts I just got. I've been a casual skiboarder for about 5 years on a pair of 98cm Line Pros. I know that they have crappy bindings but they suited my needs and I loved the graphics. With everyone here raving about the Revel8 boards, I decided to update/upgrade my gear.

I bought a pair of Flows over the holidays and managed to try them out yesterday but I'm a little unsure about the ride. I know the awkwardness I felt had to do with the increased width and slight increase in length and I'm hoping that goes away. What I'm really concerned about is the increased "float" I feel while riding on the groomed hills. I know my carving technique is a bit on the sloppy side (which could be contributing to this) but I felt like I had a lot more grip on the snow on my Lines. This leads me wonder if I simply just bought too big a board (I'm 5'7" & 130 lbs). On my old boards, I used to be able to stop on a dime, but today I needed significantly more space to stop. Is it just my unfamiliarity with the board that's leading to these troubles? What are your experience with this? I'm wondering if I should try to sell these boards and get some shorter ones.

Thanks

It will definitely be a learning curve for you, going from the lines to revolts. It took me a little more than a day for me to get used to my KTPs from my Line Sun 83s. Now that I've got the hang of it though my lines sit in the closet. I even bought a pair of Mick Nick Pros this year to try them out and ended up selling them again. After getting used to the extra width on the KTPs I just couldn't go back to the narrower line boards. But, all that being said I'm 6'1" 230, twice your size roughly. The revolts may be a bit too big for you, I probably would have suggested the Rumspringas or BWPs. But, it's really up to you, I'd probably try the revolts a couple more times and see if they grow on you, if not, you can always sell them in the buy/sell section on here.
    08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

Hi Brien,

I was going to say keep riding them at least another time out. I went from Solomons/Head 94's to KTP's then to Condors and have never looked back.I'm bigger than you also 5'10" 190lbs. Once you get used to the Revolts ( a couple more times out at the most ) the Lines will not seem the same if you go back and try them. My wife skis the Revolts and loves them over her Mary Janes which are closer to the Lines size wise. She says she feels so much more stable on the Revolts now. Hope that helps,

Chad
      64 CM Bigfoot’s
      100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
      110 CM Rockered Condors
      130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

I'm about your size, and also recently got hold of a pair of Revolts. I've also ridden Head Big Easy 94's, Lacroix 99's and the Mary Jane 103's.

Simply because of the mechanics of riding a wider board, hard edging (i.e. digging the edges in) is going to require a bit more effort on your part, and changing your technique always takes a bit of time.

If you are ONLY riding hard-packed groomers, then you aren't going to see the benefits of the Revolts. It's when you start riding choppy runs and powder that you are going to see the advantage of the bigger surface area.

I've never ridden the Line Pros, but on perfect groomers I'd prefer a narrow board like the Mary Jane (the bullet) to the Revolt. For almost EVERYTHING else, the Revolt is superior. For people our size it will do deep powder, which the narrow boards certainly won't.

Take them out a few more times - I think you'll come to love them...

Scribbler

Comment

Hey Brien,
          I just recently switched from a set of Snow Blades to KTPs and it took me a while to get used to the extra width. Now that I'm more used to them, I'm really liking them. I know that I with them, I can stop quite quickly now, but it took me a couple runs.

I see from your profile you ride at Blue Mountain, so maybe I'll see you around sometime. I ride most Fridays. I've been seeing more skiboards this year, but I don't think I've seen any other Revel8 boards yet.

David

Comment

Hmm I also just picked up a new set of revolts and plan to take them out this week. Some of scribblers post kinda scared me tho... Are these not gonna perform on groomers?? I'm 6 ft tall 175 lbs. Have intermediate skills on normal skis... and i'm sure I can bring these babies on edge. Am I gonna be disappointed?? BTW im in metro detroit.....groomers is pretty much what I'm workin with.
            Stayed tuned for my review on the 2010 Salomon SPK KAOS boots!!

Revel8 Revolt Trees
            Revel8 Black Receptor Bindings
            2010 Salomon SPK KAOS Boots

Comment

Oh damn - I didn't mean that!

The revolts are very, VERY good boards that perform very well in almost all conditions.

However, there are also thinner boards (such as Revel8's 'Bullet' boards) that may outperform them slightly on hard-pack groomers.

That's why there are loads of different boards - if there was one board that was perfect for everything, we'd only have one board...

Your Revolt will be fine - it's a classic board for a reason.

Scribbler

Comment

I would absolutely recommend sticking with it .. . the wider and longer Revolts will take some time getting used to compared with the shorter and narrower Lines , but once you get used to the different ride , the performance envelope improvment will be huge , more stability at speed , more stability in variable terrain , better perfomance in steep icy terrain . ... when upgrading to new skiboards that are different in design from what you are used to , it really takes some time to figure out how to ride them and understand how they work ..
                Many of us have originally thought a new skiboard was a dog , when as we stayed with it longer , we realized that it was a diamond.
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Ahh okay!! Lol you had me worried for a sec there. After reading the descriptions of the boards I felt like the versatility of the revolt was best for me. I will be doing lots of park and just carvin it up out there. I still plan on buying more boards tho anyways .

EDIT: sorry for thread jack Brien.
                  Stayed tuned for my review on the 2010 Salomon SPK KAOS boots!!

Revel8 Revolt Trees
                  Revel8 Black Receptor Bindings
                  2010 Salomon SPK KAOS Boots

Comment

Brien,

If you decide to go down in size, try the BWPs. They are the bomb!
                    Boards/Bindings:
                    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
                    X