Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has skiboarding come too?

Just a small rant here

I was talking to my friend.. a fellow skibaorder, and he has been skiboarding longer than i have but i agree completely with what he was saying..
    Skiboarding in my opinion is any pair of boards under 100 cm.
    Yes i ride revolts which are breaking my idea by a little bit, and i think even the 110's are still alright, but the thing that gets me is the 120+ "skiboards"
    I dont see boards longer than 110cm as skiboards.
    I really think that if the founders of the sport looked at us now they would agree that. In the X-games the athletes would try to get as close to 100 cm as possible with the 98, and 99 cm boards. When i picture skiboarding i think about tooling around in the park and ripping through trees, not making huge carves down groomers with baby twin tips at 130cm while using poles..
    When i see that i just think.. why? why not skis?
    I know people say oh but im older, and well i need more float in the pow, and ohh i like to hike i need extra length.. Well then i dont see why you people dont ride skis. Not trying to hate, but i dont like hearing about 130cm skiboards.
    So i guess im done..
    Let the hate begin
    RVL8
    \______^=======^______/
    www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

On newschoolers you cant have skis too short....and on sbol you cant have skiboards too long. There is no winning haha. Ride what you love and love what you ride.

Comment

Skiboards are not just about length: http://www.spruceski.com/tech.html
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

"Originally, skiboards were defined as having a length less than 1 meter (39.3")." That is the first line of what you just posted.. Which states my point again.
        RVL8
        \______^=======^______/
        www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

Comment

Originally posted by TalonSei92 View Post
          "Originally, skiboards were defined as having a length less than 1 meter (39.3")." That is the first line of what you just posted.. Which states my point again.
          it also used to be cool to have 210 cm racing skis...

Comment

im not saying stuff is cool or not cool.. im just pointing out how things change, and sometimes people like the change.. other people like the origin of the change
            RVL8
            \______^=======^______/
            www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

Comment

Shorter, wider skis are starting to become mainstream (ex: icelantic)

I would say skiboarding, in its full entirety TODAY, is from 75-110cms
              Longboard Skiboards are a niche market from 120cms - 130 cms
              Then it goes somewhere along the lines of Junior Skis 131-155cms
              Then normal skis from 156-200+

Comment

Originally posted by tyberesk View Post
                Longboard Skiboards are a niche market from 120cms - 130 cms
                I think even this is becoming untrue. The spruce 120s are really an excellent starting skiboard for anyone, particularly someone older (40+ or something). They give you the feel of skiboards but also are more forgiving in balance. What better thing to get someone out on the mountain.

/opinion
                Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
                Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

Yeah I'm with Talon on this, I really don't see skiboards as anything longer than 110, but I won't say that it's not fun to ride longer sticks. It's all cool with me man, just get down the hill and stay the hell out of my way.
                  Revel8 ALPdors
                  Gold Revel8 Receptors
                  Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                  ____
                  Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                  If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Thank you GOM
                    RVL8
                    \______^=======^______/
                    www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

Comment

Brinton Gunderson , one of the early heros of the sport back circa 2000 really fortold the future of where skiboarding is today ... take a look at this early interview ...We have reached exactly where he predicted skiboards would evolve...

http://skiboarding-lifestyle.8m.com/brintint.html
                      Boards :
                      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                      Boots
                      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                      Bindings:
                      Zero Pro Non release Binding
                      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

BUT Talon I understand your point and there is absolutely no hate.. Let me put out some of what I am currently thinking about this. Skiboarding really does have a firm modern limit and it no longer is 100 cm but has moved to exactly 110cm . I think this limit will NOT change . The primary reason for this is that all manufacturers have decided that 110cm is a length where the 4x4 insert pattern ends and the use of non release bindings end .
                        If we define skiboarding as a board with a 4x4 insert pattern that can be used with traditional non release binding that limit I think is pretty much set in stone at 110 cm and I really don't see manufacturers going beyond that limit .

in the "longboard skiboard" category we have boards that are 130cm to 120 cm at present and are no longer ridden with non release bindings and do not have 4x4 insert patterns . i agree that twintip skis and longboard skiboards is where the distinction begins to become blurred. There a variety of short skis in that length and the Icelantic Scout at 143cm , a short twin which is very close to that length . There are videos on you tube with folks riding the Spruce 120 and the 130 just like skis with poles and looking exactly like skiers.
                        How can we call that skiboarding ???? I agree with you , it is not .. it is skiing . I have been guilty of that myself .. where I disagree with you is that the goal of the designers of the true longboard skiboards is not to produce short twins and have folks ride them like skis but to build the very type of skiboards that Brinton Gunderson predicted . Skiboards that could be ridden exactly like the 100cm skiboards but have more stability. with the very same short turn radii of the shorter skiboards.

Personally for me the 120 and 130 longboard skiboards really deserve that name when they are designed and ridden as skiboards . with the same tight turn radius as regular skiboards and with same general feel as the regular 110 and below skiboards. and when they are ridden without poles. As a rider who goes both ways .. I know that the FEEL of my 130 ridden like a skiboard is absolutely the same sport and the same FEEL as riding my 110 or my 101 BUT if I take one of those long board skiboards and put some poles in my hand and especially if i move the binding back I am no longer skiboarding and have become a skier .
                        I enjoy skiing but I love skiboarding whether it is done on a 100 cm board or a 130cm board . I have skiied my longboard skiboards and enjoyed skiing on them but I now much prefer skiboarding on these longboards.

So no hate .. just different perspectives ..... thanks for bringing this up once again .. as it is an important subject that affects how we feel about ourselves as a sport and how we differentiate ourselves from skiing. and things have certainly changed very rapidly in the sport we all love.
                        Boards :
                        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                        Boots
                        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                        Bindings:
                        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Talon,

There is a reason that there is a distinguishment made between skiboards and longboard skiboards. Quick question, have you been on a pair of the 120's or Sherpas yet? A good test would be to ride a pair of BWPs (classic length skiboard), Sherpas, and 172cm skis back to back. The Sherpa will feel significantly more like a skiboard. The big difference is the turning radius. The Sherpas have a deep sidecut, giving them a turning radius about half that of many skis. They actually have a tighter turn radius than the Rumspringas even.

I used to be have the same views, that anything above 100cm wasn't a skiboard back when Epic/Mix first broke the mold with the original ALPs at a massive 110cm. It was absurd to think something that big could ride like my 99cm M7's. I went on and on in forum posts about how we were just going to grow into twintips. The quality issues popped up with their boards, and they disappeared. Then the Revolts came out at 105 and got great reviews. The next season, I had a choice: 98cm Loken El Bajongs, or 105 cm EMPs. The sidewall construction won me over, and I never looked back. 105's rode like skiboards still. Then came the 120's. I thought it was absurd. They got great reviews from people. I started to get curious. I started seeing the posts about the prototype 130's, and began to get interested why people thought they still rode like skiboards. Impossible. Then Jeff let me try out a pair of the prototype Sherpas, and I was amazed. They still had the nimbleness of a skiboard. Definitely not quite the effortless movement of the old school 84cm boards I started on, but definitely closer to that than to skis.

We once made the distinction at 110 for skiboards vs. short skis. Now we have opened a new class, longboard skiboards. Length of a short ski, but the turn radius of a skiboard. Even within the sub-110 world, there is huge variation in how boards ride. The BWPs will be less nimble than the Bantams, but significantly more stable. The Rumspringas with the large (for skiboards) turn radius ride worlds different than KTPs.

As I've said in numerous similar posts, I don't care what you call the boards on my feet. I enjoy them and will continue to ride them. On the same note, I won't care how you get down the mountain as long as you're enjoying yourself.
                          I do it because I can.
                          I can because I want to.
                          I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                          '08 KTPs

Comment

i was the dude that talon was talking to, hate me if you will but when i got into the sport 8 years ago and yes on skiblades, i was intruduced to this site, back when for those that can remeber the isf (intenational skiboard federation) was around. now i do know there are some hard feelings about the isf trying to manage the sport but as far as i knew they were the first to set any kind of ground rules. which was a skiboard should not reach 100cm if i remeber corectly the webstie has been shut down. i still try to stay true to that as much as i can, yes i ride ktp's which are 101's but i will personally not ride anything longer than that.

up at ragged i remeber last min i asked heshel if there was a length limit on skiboard size for the race and he put the line at 110, i can respect the 110 line it still has the 4x4 mount so that those who choose to ride non release-ables on them can i can see the consern for wanting to put releaseables on them and thats why we have the adapters.

as far as i know having something over a 110 and puttin a diff hole pattern on so you cant put non-releaseables on is not a skiboard by any means, call it a long skiboard a extremly under sized ski or something else i dont care but honestly i have to my own personal attention have to put some kind of line down. 110 is as long as i will respect as a skiboard.

im not hating on spruce not hating on jeff and certainly not hating on ppl who own them like them want them and lastly not on greco for carring them but i have some issues excepting them into the sport, they to me are not true to skiboarding.
                            i'm no leader
                            i just can't see myself following you...
                            and that's not in a "heavy" way you...
                            to phrase a dying wish quasi-question3ly...
                            not you personally but...
                            you personally...
                            ...i just "brought some of the words i write
                            the way i write them..."
                            -dose one

Comment

xxj, just trying to understand , how does saying that the spruce boards are skiboards diminish the sport as a whole , or how we feel about the sport ?
                              and if we say that the spruce boards are not skiboards . how does it affect how we feel about the large group of riders who choose to ride them , are members of the community here and think of themselves as skiboarders. ?
                              this is not in any way a rhetorical question and am not hating on you or knocking your opinons .. i understand your feelings and am just trying to understand their implications
                              Boards :
                              Boots
                              Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                              X