08/09 Season Retrospective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08/09 Season Retrospective

The meetup at Big Boulder on 3/14 was my last day out this season. It was a lot of fun and a great way to end things. I'm now done in FL visiting family, and with all the pictures and video of the NH meet showing up, I got thinking about the season in general. I've only been skiboarding for three season now, and I've gotten a bit better each time. My understanding of the sport has grown, and my skills have improved. I decided to dig up a thread that I started at the beginning of the season and see how well I met my goals. That thread is here:

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...t=goals+season

I didn't meet all my goals, but in a way I think I grew more in the sport than I anticipated. I didn't get to ride all of my boards, but I did ride most of them. The only pairs I've yet to ride are my Canon Easyrider 75's, Line Bullets 95's, Line Weapons, and Line Pro 98's. I did ride all the others for at least part of a day, and I'm hoping to get reviews up on all of them at some point. I didn't really improve my fakie carving all that much (anyone up at NH can attest to that lol), and my jumping stopped several weeks before the end of the season after a fairly scary 30ft backflop at Bear Creek. I did, however, manage to improve on boxes and rails, and I now do no approach them with such fear as I once did. Many thanks to Talon for helping me in that regard. As far as getting others into the sport and getting out and riding as much as possible, I think I did rather well. I handed out a much of the SBOL cards to people, got about seven new people on skiboards for the first time (including my immediate family) and had many good conversations with people about the sport. With the rather unexpected layoffs at my job, I had lots of time to get out on the slopes, which I took advantage of. For the first time, I actually can't remember how many times I was out this past season.

The biggest things for me though, were the meetups. The Jay Jam was a awesome experience. Meeting everyone in person was very cool, and I really enjoyed watching others skiboard and seeing all the individual styles. Not to mention the insane amount of fun that I had on the Condors. The US Open at Ragged Mountain was probably my highlight of the season. It was really amazing to actually be able to compete in an organized event, and I'm seriously addicted to skiboardercross now. Again, hanging out with everyone was a lot of fun, and seeing the guys throwing down in the slopestyle competition in person was very very cool.

So, even though I didn't meet all the my goals, I feel that my season was a success, and I'd be interested to see how others did. Take a look at what your goals were and let us know how you did and what your highlights were.
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Great topic. I hate to think of my season as being over but the reality is I'll probably only get out a few more times. 7-8 times max before things melt away. Of course, my body will dictate if I get back out at all. Anyway, my second full season as a skiboarder had its' highlights and revelations. One of the more personal revelations was that I really don't want to snowboard anymore. Not that I see it as a bad thing by any means and when the pow is banging it's hard not to grab the heavy artillery but my heart just isn't there anymore. I'm a skiboarder now. Getting out on a few different boards like the Lacroix 125's and Spruce Sherpa showed me exactly how many preconceived limitations I brought to my precious 120's and having the different attitudes there to work with made me a better rider. I love all 3 models of long boards I own. They are each so gloriously different, so incredibly capable and so fun. The park came alive for me. I simply cannot believe the flame lit inside of me now because of the park. I've completely changed what I now consider to be the entire mountain and what I want to accomplish to see myself as a completely competent skiboarder. Wow. I'm stoked enough that I'll become a member of SNOVA after the season finishes. SNOVA is the year round indoor place about an hour from me. My friend the mountain was incredibly gracious to me this year. I felt much more at ease with my friend this season. I laughed so often, shamelessly cried tears of gratitude in private moments and became a little better person. I even rode with others this season. Despite the way I rant and rave here in real life I tend to give my fellow human beings their space. I have my wife, my children and a few other people I choose to call friend and the rest of humanity I keep at arms length. This year, that door opened a little more and I traded self absorption for acceptance and enjoyment of others. It wasn't easy. It was a real battle at times. I just wanted to "accidentally" take a wrong turn and leave everyone so many times. I never did. Skiboarding helped. You guys helped

Thank you for letting me be myself.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

My 08-09 season was a bit of a disspointment...im surrounded by all of these amazing vermont mountains, but with no transportation to get there. Thank god next year i'm allowed have a car....SUBARU BRANDEN!!!! lol.... I really didn't get into the park at all this season....considering Jay didn't open a park until way late in the season and everytime I rode at bolton the park was closed for either building or a competition. I did however have a great time riding at all of the meetups especially the Jam Jam and US Open and enjoyed riding with everyone, especially mark who stayed in my dorm a bunch of times haha.

All in All....great season, i learned alot of tricks and tried alot more... and i'm hoping i get out a few more times.

Comment

I'm sure we'll all hit season's like that at least once. Actually, the 07/08 season was kinda like that for me. The weather just wasn't any good in PA, the snow sucked, and I missed the Mt Creek meetup. Pretty much it was a bummer.

I'm happy to see you all fired up for getting back out there again, Mahatma.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

For me this season has been really important for two reasons

1/ For a guy with a huge quiver and who usually rides all kinds of different boards of different sizes .. it has been all about getting to know one board in all conditions , both in the backcountry and the resorts... to really go deep into one board and understand how to get the most out of it .. and , of course, by doing so the Sherpa certainly did not disappoint !

2/ Shredfest was totally amazing for those of us out West . Sometimes it seems like the hotbed of skiboarding is on the East Coast ... , Many of us ride alone , being the only one on skiboards at our resorts and almost never seeing another skiboarder... I have been blessed with having Wendell to ride with over the years .. .. but to see so many skiboarders together on the slopes ,to ride and meet up with not only us West Coasters , but folks like Carolyn and El Slurpo from Missouri , and folks like Slow,Maria and Valmorel who made the trip from other countries was really special . To not feel like the odd person on the slope but part of big group of like minded riders , really makes you understand how very special a community of passionate riders we have . Props to G and Ben and Kirk for making it out here out West as well , to share our little get together .. It was a most special time indeed !
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Some thoughts from over the pond: Shredfest was the making of my season. Not only did I get to meet so many of the great folks I normally only correspond with via SBOL, but thanks to Jjue and Wendell, got in to tree skiing California style, and also the steeps of Squaw. As the season progressed, I found myself becoming more and more a 120 guy. I am not trying to say that the 120 is the ultimate board or anything, more, just that concentrating on one board and getting to know it so well really enhances the whole skiboard experience for me. Jjue made me hike just once, and only for a few hundred yards (felt like miles) which confirmed once and for all that this particular Ancient is a lift served guy
            Finally, I learned that if I ski with Jjue and Wendell, I need to move the coffee table nearer the sofa in the evenings, as getting UP to reach my rum and coke is NOT an option.............
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

Haha, nice. I have a love/hate relationship with that level of soreness. I love the fact that it usually means I had an awesome day pushing my limits on the mountain, but I hate how debilitating it can be.

Shredfest and the other meetups sound like definite highlights for many people. It really is very cool to be able to ride with others like yourself and feel like part of a group.

Comment

It's good to hear many people's experiences.

I've been riding since 2000. Injuries, outdated gear and being tired of being made fun of had taken its toll. While I didn't bring in many expectations this year, I'm leaving with a lot.

My move back to Seattle opened up a lot better skiing access and far better park features. Once I ran into smaller "progression park" features, I started pushing for tricks I'd never tried, never landed. New successes really pushed me on.

I don't have friends to ride with right now, but I've found out where I'm comfortable riding, comfortable striking up conversations with people on the mountain. This season proved that I've got more to acheive and more to contribute to our sport. I'm really looking forward to next year.

www.sfc-usa.com

Comment

For me, toally amazing to have pulled off the Shredfest and meet so many sbol forum riders from literally all over! That was a year in the making and it turned out great and already planning future Shredfest events.
                  I actually didn't ski much over the season, especially since for the first time in my life I broke some bones! A part of says I should not return to the slopes until my son is old enough to being learning and the other part of me is already getting new gear for next season! I will have to start a fresh from getting my leg in shape, and my whole body, after the broken leg heals.
                  This year I al also learned more about all the different current skiboards and have been able to ride alot of them to find the one board (or two) to really ride and get to know and I can call my perfect board. Still riding and searching but have also learned to just ride one and get to now that one rather than trying a bunch of different boards... but I do enjoy riding the different boards so that I can help folks out when they are trying to find a new board too.

Overall, still a great winter season and looking forward to next winter and Shredfest!
                  C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                    Some thoughts from over the pond: Shredfest was the making of my season. Not only did I get to meet so many of the great folks I normally only correspond with via SBOL, but thanks to Jjue and Wendell, got in to tree skiing California style, and also the steeps of Squaw. As the season progressed, I found myself becoming more and more a 120 guy. I am not trying to say that the 120 is the ultimate board or anything, more, just that concentrating on one board and getting to know it so well really enhances the whole skiboard experience for me. Jjue made me hike just once, and only for a few hundred yards (felt like miles) which confirmed once and for all that this particular Ancient is a lift served guy
                    Finally, I learned that if I ski with Jjue and Wendell, I need to move the coffee table nearer the sofa in the evenings, as getting UP to reach my rum and coke is NOT an option.............

Dave,
                    Better pick up a helmit for next Shredfest. You'll feel better when you hear Jack yell 'I think you guys can make this'.

Wendell
                    Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                    Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                    Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                    History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

i had fun.

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

I skied around 32 days total, got a short edit made and i got a 3rd place medal.

Pretty good season for me.
                        you never really don't realize it, you just quit caring...

Comment

despite the broken clavical, i had fun, wish i could have improved on a lot of things, but i have pleanty of time for that
                          facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

yeah all summer long.
                            you never really don't realize it, you just quit caring...

Comment

This season was just ok for me. Since moving out West, I never get as much boarding in during a season as I did compared to when I lived back in Minnesota. Also this year I was in the worst shape that I have ever been in for a skiboarding season. I didn't perform like I have in past seasons, and my stamina on the runs was pathetic to say the least. I plan to get in much better shape for next season.

I bought and sold a handful of boards this summer trying to find the boards that suit me best. I discovered the wonderful ALPs and the totally amazing and untouchable Sherpas. I've got my arsenal down to a very workable three boards that I'm very please with for now.

I look forward to next season and the new Spruce boards that are supposed to be coming out. There will probably be other boards released that will call out to me also.

I hope to make Shredfest II. In hindsight I was a big dummy for not going to this year's.
                              Boards/Bindings:
                              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
                              X