Latest Skiboarding Injury Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Skiboarding Injury Study

The latest skiboarding injury study was published last year in the medical literature . It is a multi year study out of Japan..

Here is the abstract

Snowboarding and Ski Boarding Injuries in Niigata, Japan
    Yuko Sakamoto, MD, PhD†,* and Keishoku Sakuraba, MD, PhD‡
    +Author Affiliations

From the †Department of Orthopaedics, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan, and ‡Department of Sports Medicine, School of Health and Sports Science, Juntendo University, Chiba, Japan
    Address correspondence to Yuko Sakamoto, MD, PhD, Department of Orthopaedics, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2-1-1, Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, 113-8421, Tokyo, Japan (e-mail: u-sakamo@med.juntendo.ac.jp).
    Abstract
    Background: The purpose of this study was to compare the injury patterns and incidence of snowboarding and ski boarding injuries with that of alpine skiing in 2000 to 2005, as there are few previous studies comparing these 3 sports, especially in Asia.

Hypothesis: The injury patterns are different among the 3 snow sports.

Study Design: Descriptive epidemiology study.

Methods: The subjects were alpine skiers (1240 cases), snowboarders (2220 cases), and ski boarders (132 cases) who were injured in 2 ski resorts located in Niigata prefecture in Japan and visited the authors’ clinics in these ski resorts between 2000 and 2005. On visiting the clinics, patients completed a questionnaire reviewing the circumstances surrounding the injury event, and physicians documented the diagnosis.

Results: The injury rate, which was based on all purchased lift tickets, in snowboarding decreased gradually, although it was still 2 times higher than that of alpine skiing. Snowboarding and ski boarding had a higher fracture and dislocation rate. Both sports also had a 4 times higher rate of injuries because of jumping. The characteristics of ski boarding were a lower head and neck injury rate and collision injury rate than those of the other 2 snow sports, as well as a 2 times higher rate of fractures compared with alpine skiing injuries and a 1.4 times higher incidence than that of snowboarding injuries. Of the fractures caused by ski boarding accidents, 39.6% affected the lower leg bones.

Conclusion: Injury prevention strategies should focus on jumps for snowboarders and ski boarders.

Keywords:
    snowboard ski board alpine ski jump
    Footnotes
    No potential conflict of interest declared.
    Copyright 2008 by American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine CiteULike Connotea Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Technorati
    What's this?
    « Previous | Next Article »
    Table of Contents

This Article
    PreView March 4, 2008, doi: 10.1177/0363546507313573
    Am J Sports Med May 2008 vol. 36 no. 5 943-948

I have access to the full text of the study at work . Here is the expanded conclusions and discussion with respect to skiboarding :

"Characteristics of Ski Boarding Injuries
    Although somewhat limited in the actual number of cases, the characteristics of these injuries that were noted in this study are listed below. First, compared with the other 2 sports—alpine skiing and snowboarding injuries—head injuries were rare (Figure 2).This may be because when short skis are used without the traditional ski poles, an individual can easily assume a posture to protect his or her head. In addition, short skis provide a longer distance from the truncal region, so a skier is not likely to suffer cuts from the edge of a ski. Second, the incidence of fractures (41%) was higher compared with 20% of fractures from alpine skiing and 28% from snowboarding, and 40% of those involved lower leg bone injuries. Several studies5,14 have reported that the incidence of injuries to these bones was a special feature and more frequent than in the other 2 snow sports. They attributed this to the nonrelease binding system. Currently, bindings are fitted to ski boards measuring 100 cm or more (used for gliding), but ski boards currently on the market that measure less than 100 cm and are designed for midair performance are not equipped with such a release mechanism. Manufacturers must take steps to remedy this situation. Third, the incidence of injuries associated with jumping is as high as in snow-boarding (Figure 4). Like snowboarders, the number of ski boarders who frequent snow parks will increase in the future. We have witnessed a sudden increase in the number of snow-boarders seriously injured from jumping. One should be alerted so that this pattern will not be repeated within enthusiasts of ski boarding, the current rage. "
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

jjue,

Thanks for the report. Did the report say if the injury list was compiled from all of Niigata? Here is a listing of all resorts in the prefecture http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/a...ecture=Niigata

I've been to most of them. Niigata is a few short hours away. Check out one of my faves - Kagura. Naeba is just on the other side of the mountain and available by taking the Dragondola over. 1 pass buys both sides. Naeba is heavily groomed and very metropolitan while Kagura is largely ungroomed (I think they have a guy with a broom that "grooms" a few runs) and more bohemian.

So, skiboarding is "all the rage". Gotta' love that little shot in the arm. Good stuff. Buy releasables. Ha ha
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
      jjue,

Thanks for the report. Did the report say if the injury list was compiled from all of Niigata?
      Two resorts were used , resort "N "and resort "K" , maybe you can figure it out from the study detail

Study details :

"The subjects comprised 3592 patients who sought medical assistance between 2000 and 2005 at either of the 2 clinics located at ski resorts N and K in Niigata Prefecture (located in the northeastern part of Japan). They included 2220 (62.7%) injured using snowboards, 1240 (33.6%) injured using alpine skis, and 132 (3.7%) injured using ski boards. In addition, data for 1166 patients who were treated at the same clinics in 1994 and 1995, which our colleagues reported previously23,24—including 161 (13.8%) with snowboarding injuries and 710 (60.9%) with alpine skiing injuries—were used as representative of incidences in the 1990s for comparisons of the age distribution, occurrences, anatomical sites of involvement, and cause of injuries. The injury data between 1994 and 1995 were collected under the same conditions as in 2000 to 2005 at all times. Both clinics were the only clinics located at ski resorts N and K, were operated by the ski resorts, and were able to accept patients injured on the ski slopes regardless of whether injuries were fatal or nonfatal. Ski resort N is open from December 25 to March 31 and from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Ski resort K is open from December 25 to May 5 and from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Orthopaedists were in the clinic on weekends and holidays. The periods when both clinics opened and when orthopaedists were present were not changed from 1965. All information on injury cases in this study was collected from medical records and questionnaires, which were the orthopaedists’ responsibility. Orthopaedists decided to transport patients to the emergency room if they were in a serious condition. In the study period of 2000 to 2005, no patient died from his or her injury.

Incidences
      At ski resort K, the ski slope is not accessible unless one uses the rope gondola. By counting the number of passengers using the gondola, it was possible to keep an accurate count of the “skiers” —including ski boarders—and snow-boarders. At ski resort N, an accurate number of skiers—including ski boarders—and snowboarders was obtained from the sale of tickets for the ski lift. The numbers of injuries recorded by the ski patrol, even on the days when the clinics were not open, were used to calculate the incidence of injuries. The ski patrols of the ski resort have been authorized by the Ski Association of Japan."
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Wear Releasables

This is basically in-line with the Scottish injury study results. http://www.ski-injury.com/specific-sports/skiboard

The Scottish study is why I originally went with Spruce releasables. Sure leg fractures are still fairly rare with non-releasables, but studies like these seem to indicate that the "conventional wisdom" about non-releasables are not conservative enough- particularly for those who jump. As for me, I'm 5'11" and if it's over 90cm, I'm putting releasables on it. The Spruce bindings are just so good, it's kind of crazy not to, IMHO.

The other thing I noticed with respect to non-releasables is that of everyone who's reported a break on non-releasables (a small sample size, I admit), no one has admitted that the binding had anything to do with it. And those reporting a break on releasables? Well, I haven't heard of any!

Hey, I'm just sayin'...
        Revel8 ALP (Alpdors) w/ Spruce Pro Lite
        Revel8 Revolt (Chickens)
        Spruce 120
        Groove AF1 (90)

Comment

what timing... yes I will more than likely be using releaseables now, matter of a more piece of mind now.
          C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Eh, I'm sticking to my non-release. I have enough calcium in my bones to keep me going. If I can kick a tree at 40 miles per hour, flip a motorcycle, and come out without a scratch, I don't think my skiboard can break my leg. *knocks on wood*

Boards: Revel8 Revolt "Trees" / Revel8 2008 KTPs / Line Jedi
            Bindings: Bombers / FF Pros
            Boots: Raichle 125s

Facebook

Comment

jjue,

That would be Naeba/Kagura. If the N & K didn't give it away 1 little detail nails it - you must take the ropeways or a helicopter into Kagura.
              "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by oxenboxin View Post
                This is basically in-line with the Scottish injury study results. http://www.ski-injury.com/specific-sports/skiboard

The Scottish study is why I originally went with Spruce releasables. Sure leg fractures are still fairly rare with non-releasables, but studies like these seem to indicate that the "conventional wisdom" about non-releasables are not conservative enough- particularly for those who jump. As for me, I'm 5'11" and if it's over 90cm, I'm putting releasables on it. The Spruce bindings are just so good, it's kind of crazy not to, IMHO.

The other thing I noticed with respect to non-releasables is that of everyone who's reported a break on non-releasables (a small sample size, I admit), no one has admitted that the binding had anything to do with it. And those reporting a break on releasables? Well, I haven't heard of any!

Hey, I'm just sayin'...

*nod*

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Working...
                X