No announcement yet.

Skiboards On Aspen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember reading an article on the BFB program a couple of seasons ago. That author wasn't as good with the proper terminology though.

I have yet to experience "proper" moguls. The ones I've encountered are generally solid ice with maybe a smattering of coverage on them. I have found some small soft moguls a couple times after fresh snow, but they don't really offer the same feel. I did try riding them fakie for a bit of a challange though. It didn't turn out too well.
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
      I did try riding them fakie for a bit of a challange though. It didn't turn out too well.
      I witnessed this.
      It was hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by El Slurpo View Post

G: Where did that article come from?, I'd be interested to read part 2.

Bill

Here is part 2 which is a detailed blog about Mike Doyle's experience with the bumps for boomers program
        http://skiing.about.com/od/downhills...forboomers.htm

Here is his photo gallery of the trip

http://skiing.about.com/od/skiphotog...s-For-Boomers/
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Again the interesting thing to me about reading about the Bumps to Boomers program is the progression back to regular skis and the use of poles and the emphasis of the skiboards as a tool for teaching boomers like me to be more comfortable on their regular skis in difficult terrain .

My own progression in skiboarding is actually more of a reverse program . I am an expert skier .. I already ski all this kind of double black diamond moguls and powder with excellent style without any difficulty on long skis and using poles . For me , going to skiboards was coming to experience a totally new snowsport with its own super enjoyable way of riding . Getting rid of poles , moving to center mount , and listening to the boards under my feet , and learning to adapt my style to the peculiar design of skiboards and to the way they are different from skis , has been a real eye opener . This season has been a real coming out party for me , as I have ditched my ski poles and my ski techniques and really embraced skiboarding and doing everything in the backcountry as well as at the resort riding like a skiboarder .. This is the first season that I have ridden deep bottomless backcountry pow lines, crust , steep mogul runs , and resort crud on a center mount skiboard without poles . It has been a real eye opener . Riding without poles is not some kind of fashion or affectation that we skiboarders have , but is essential to really GET IT .. to understand how the boards really can turn beneath our feet .. without the crutches of the poles to recover from balance issues or to time turns , or to help you unweight , you really learn how to turn your skiboards underneath you .. your skiboarding skill just ramps up tremendously , you realize that skiboarding is NOT just skiing on short sticks ,and is really something different and special , and suddenly you don't want the poles or the skis back at all !
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Thanks , Jack.

We never took the clinic with skiers like the author did. Joe suggested we go the private lesson route since we had no interest in long skis. It's interesting to read the comments of skiers who first get on skiboards and think it's "hard". When the author mentioned being reminded to "stand tall" that rang a bell with me. Joe advocates a balanced, centered, upright stance a la Valmorel.

Bill

Comment

Working...
            X